New to Elite Upgrades

Old Jul 2, 19, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *S,
New to Elite Upgrades

HI All,

My boss has added me as a Elite Giftee (well I think he has) but before I hassle him , who requests the upgrade ? Do it from my booking screen or does he (elite) have to apply for my upgrade to my booking - he is not traveling with me so I understand the upgrade will only be reviewed on my status.

If someone has screen shots how it is done, that will also be helpful.

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Hi, you have to provide your PNR to him. Date of travel and, I think the flight number too.

he loads the RU

you fly J😀

it is very easy to do...no screenshots sorry.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *S,
Originally Posted by Markhm View Post
Hi, you have to provide your PNR to him. Date of travel and, I think the flight number too.

he loads the RU

you fly J😀

it is very easy to do...no screenshots sorry.
Thanks for that - is this the same if he doesn't have any RU's - just wanted to try for Airpoints upgrades @ $220 (Akl - LA)
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Once he has loaded you as a giftee he just needs your PNR. He just needs to go to the upgrade section in myairnz, enter your PNR and then select the upgrade type and appropriate flight from the booking.
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Mikeynz View Post
Thanks for that - is this the same if he doesn't have any RU's - just wanted to try for Airpoints upgrades @ $220 (Akl - LA)
Yes, when he lodges your upgrade he will get a choice between APD or RU on the same screen, it works exactly the same.
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:56 pm

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm newly Elite and want to do my first APD upgrade from PE to J on a flight from LAX-AKL next year.
I'm fairly flexible with travel times and aiming for a flight in June 2020, but would like to select a flight where I'm guaranteed an upgrade for myself and my wife.

Is it possible to find out in advance if an Elite APD Upgrade will clear before booking the PE flight?

Just for background, I'm NZ based, but will need to book this flight on the US site as I'll be cashing in some VS points to fly LHR-LAX.
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints Elite
I usually call them to confirm if there is R availability on the flight and then lodge the upgrade and have it cleared at the time of lodging it.
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:48 am

Programs: NZGE.... and bronze on every other program
So need a little help on this topic if I may.

My wife is my Elite Partner. As a result she is not on my list of Giftees and doesn't show up on a joint booking and I am unable to nominate her for an Upgrade? Tried call centre.... after 11 minutes of "unusually heavy caller demand" I gave up. Hoping the guru's have ananswer....

And as for the call centre, when does unusually heavy caller demand actually become we don't have enough staff to cover normal demand. I don';t think in the last 2-3 years I have made a call without getting the insincere apology (sorry OT and probably covered in detail elsewhere).
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:38 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Giftee

Originally Posted by kiwiox14 View Post

My wife is my Elite Partner. As a result she is not on my list of Giftees and doesn't show up on a joint booking and I am unable to nominate her for an Upgrade? Tried call centre.... after 11 minutes of "unusually heavy caller demand" I gave up. Hoping the guru's have ananswer....

And as for the call centre, when does unusually heavy caller demand actually become we don't have enough staff to cover normal demand. I don';t think in the last 2-3 years I have made a call without getting the insincere apology (sorry OT and probably covered in detail elsewhere).
you can go online and add her to your giftee list and then apply the upgrade
no need to ring the call centre
should take about a minute to do.
the call centre busy time is unpredictable. ..normally I wait about 1 minute
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle

Once the message says, “we can see that you’re a premium customer”, I wouldn’t wait more than 1 minute.
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
As mentioned above calling the call centre won't really be of much help, You need to simply add your Elite Partner as a giftee on your Airpoints account and lodge the upgrade for them. The call centre could lodge the upgrade for you (you'll have to pay a service fee for this since it can be done online) but won't be able to do anything until you have added them as a giftee.

I would have only waited 5+ mins maybe once or twice in the past year, and one time that was during a busy time of weather disrupts. That message plays a lot even when the premium team don't seem to have a wait.
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:35 pm

This must be a system bug as I had a similar issue. My wife was on my Giftee List for several years before I became Elite - I bought her tickets with APD for many flights.

The first time I tried to get an Elite APD for her I couldn’t do it because it said she wasn’t on my Gifting Register yet I had paid for her ticket with APD and when I tried to add her again as a Household Giftee it said I couldn’t as she was my Elite Partner. On that occasion a Premium team member did it for me without service fee being charged.

I tried to do Elite APD upgrades for us both early today (both on same PNR) and once again the system would only show my name and said that other passenger on booking wasn’t on my Gifting Register despite me having gifted her ticket and me being unable to add her with system rejection because Elite Partner.

I called the call centre who manually added her and I was then able to do the upgrades - when I subsequently looked they added her as a “Non Household Giftee” whereas they knew we live together. This may be the way around the system bug as it was how they resolved the issue.
kiwiox14 likes this.

Search this Thread