Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No newspapers in Koru lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by brenrox
Sustainability....yet they send tens of thousands of those coffee cups to landfill each day which can't be recycled.
I would definitely like to see more environmentally friendly cups in the future if possible.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I would definitely like to see more environmentally friendly cups in the future if possible.
Elite gift of an AirNZ keep cup this year?
NZ_Flyer and samyoull like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I'd be happy if they cut those too - not drinking that crap
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
I was going to suggest that, until I thought about the morning coffee rush. The speed in which they make coffees is truly impressive, but there is no way right now they could do that with keep cups! Maybe later in the day when it's less busy.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:16 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12246093

A publishing industry veteran and managing director of Lassoo Media, John Baker, said he was puzzled by Air NZ's use of sustainability to can newspapers.
"They have their own magazine. If they are going to apply to newspapers it should apply to their own magazine."

Baker said while newspapers were made of recycled paper, glossy paper for magazines such as Kia Ora was imported.
"It seems like a convenient way to justify reducing costs."
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:24 pm

Yeah the sustainability angle is just ridiculous tbh. No one is going to buy that.

I do think other airlines that buy stacks of newspapers to give out on planes that almost no one takes might want to reassess that, but a newspaper in the lounge is nothing.

Those magazines, why on earth do they still exist. Do they really bring that much revenue for Air NZ? They must, otherwise they wouldn't still have them. But I see almost no one reading them so I am surprised businesses are willing to pay for advertising space.
poopbunny and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nzkarit
With the cup printed with the words "I am a Airnz Elite Flyer" and a free subscription to the newspaper :-)
ps107 and yourethegoose like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by poopbunny
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12246093

A publishing industry veteran and managing director of Lassoo Media, John Baker, said he was puzzled by Air NZ's use of sustainability to can newspapers.
"They have their own magazine. If they are going to apply to newspapers it should apply to their own magazine."

Baker said while newspapers were made of recycled paper, glossy paper for magazines such as Kia Ora was imported.
"It seems like a convenient way to justify reducing costs."
Removing papers as cargo flown to lounges would help cut carbon emissions.
How do they say this stuff with a straight face? The change coinciding with all the other lounge changes on July 1st does nothing for the cynicism either
poopbunny likes this.

Last edited by brenrox; Jul 3, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
How do they say this stuff with a straight face?
Easy, they used the same straight face that said "It's a Kiwi Safety" video that racked up 20 million online views, was popular.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Easy, they used the same straight face that said "It's a Kiwi Safety" video that racked up 20 million online views, was popular.
Flew on a 320 with broken screens this week so they couldn’t play any safety vids and did it “old skool”
Most refreshing, less cringingly tedious and imho got more engagement from pax.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
IMO it is a cost cut but not just to the bottom line that many people see here. NZ acknowledges that airlines are seen a large contributors to carbon emissions and have been trying to do what it can to reduce them, but obviously as your core business emits the vast majority of your emissions then there is not much you can do. The proposed Carbon Zero amendments that is currently in Parliament will put even more pressure on it to cut everything it can.
Just because the newsprint is made from recycled paper, it does not mean there is no carbon cost associated with it. It is just lower, for some recycled materials I saw the figures of 1-2% reduction over virgin stock. Recycling is not going save the planet, it helps but is not the single cure, reducing what we use will be the largest contributor to sustainability.
In light of the above,I for one did read the papers when I had access to the lounges, but I finished them on the ground at the end of the trip, mostly in hotels. When traveling on non-Aust/NZ airlines I did take the offer of papers to see other points of view of what was going around the world.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.