FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ PE "deal" fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1975661-air-nz-pe-deal-fares.html)

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 1:11 am

Air NZ PE "deal" fares

Hi FT

Was looking at an AKL-MEL-AKL trip this morning, departing 8 November, back 11 November. The PE fares were $309 outbound, $376 inbound.

However, this afternoon the fares changed, to $349 outbound and $416 inbound, and Air NZ slapped a "deal" tag next to the fares. PE fares for 2 weeks either side of my travel dates received the same treatment.

I can't be the only one to experience this - has anyone else had a similar experience? The fare difference is minimal but it's the price increase coupled with the "deal" tag that doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks in advance
AI

nzkarit Jun 26, 2019 1:28 am

Well it is a deal. Yesterday you would have seen a cheaper fare bucket. Those sold and now a higher bucket is available. Which costs more, but price brough down because of current sale.

Also hasn't current sale been on for a while now and ends at the end of the month? So yesterday's prices should have been sale ones as well?

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 1:39 am

That's not possible. I looked at maybe 50 date/time combinations as our travel plans are very flexible.

This morning they were all $309 outbound, this afternoon they were all changed to $349 "deal". Same for the inbound flights. PE seats don't sell that quickly.

sbiddle Jun 26, 2019 2:07 am

Pretty much that's how revenue management systems work - you're presumably not aware of how often fares can change. It's not uncommon to see fares go up or down up to 3 or 4 times per day particularly on domestic travel.Your fares will be a different booking class which is how these things work.

Things such as this can be very frustrating as a customer - and your experience is nothing like mine https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ilability.html

sbiddle Jun 26, 2019 2:18 am

I'm actually confused. Do you have a screenshot of the old price showing the fare class?

Looking at those dates the current $349 is A class and nothing will ever sell cheaper than A class. GDS longterm pricing is $435/$505/$640/$925 for A//O/E/U

$309 is crazy cheap for a PE fare.

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 2:18 am

Yes, I get that fares change frequently, it's just a bit rich to increase the price and then add the "deal" tag. The fare class this morning was A, the fare class this afternoon is still A so no difference there.

I expect that most of the fares in the time period we were looking at will drop back to the lower price once the "deal" has expired.

If it were any other industry the commerce commission would have a field day.

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 2:19 am

I don't have a screen shot sorry - wish I did now though.

sbiddle Jun 26, 2019 2:24 am

Are you absolutely sure it was PE? I'm not doubting you, but finding it hard to actually understand how what you're saying could actually happen as nothing will ever be cheaper than A class and A class shouldn't go up like that.

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 3:32 am

It was definitely PE, I text my wife the Works v PE prices (Works was more expensive than PE for the flights we wanted). The Works prices haven't changed since this morning but the PE prices have. PE still cheaper than Works on the return leg.

Anyway, next time I see PE below $349 I'll screen shot it and post it here. Curious!

kiwifrequentflyer Jun 26, 2019 3:35 am

I don't see how increasing the price means it's not still a deal since its still discounted? I mean it sucks you missed the super cheap pricing but that's certainly happened to me before. Qantas raised their prices for business over the course of a day. It was still cheaper than non sale prices so it still had the sale marketing attached. I bought the new price but of course wished I'd acted sooner.

AucklandIrish Jun 26, 2019 3:48 am

This is where a screen shot would come in handy.

The fare class was the same - in the morning, A class $309 without a deal tag. In the afternoon, A class $349 with a deal tag. Same fare bucket with an increased price and a deal tag. Perhaps an error fare on Air NZ's part.

weibelt Jun 26, 2019 3:49 am

What ”deal” means is that it is an advertised fare sale. Deal prices tend to be cheaper than ”average” for a route, but don't always reflect that it is the cheapest a route has been recently.