Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

CX/NZ Partnership to HKG - Anyone taken the CX Flight

Old Jun 24, 19, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE

Hi, I 've tried searching the forums but can't find a definitive answer. Now that Air NZ has shifted their close-to might night flight out of Auckland to Hong Kong to a day time flight, i thought id like at the CX option on the A350.

Any flown on the A350 in business and what is it like compared to Air NZ? The return flight also from Hong Kong is later in the evening so I am looking at CX metal both ways (on an NZ Ticket)
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I’ve flown both. Thought they were both much of a muchness. I was talking to a pilot travelling on CX. He spoke highly of Nz j. Said the cabins are less pressurised, or something, in NZ, thus making the cabin more comfortable to fly in on Air Nz. Any aviation geeks can correct me if I’ve got that wrong.
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Ellice View Post
Iíve flown both. Thought they were both much of a muchness. I was talking to a pilot travelling on CX. He spoke highly of Nz j. Said the cabins are less pressurised, or something, in NZ, thus making the cabin more comfortable to fly in on Air Nz. Any aviation geeks can correct me if Iíve got that wrong.
The 787s run a higher pressure, so lower apparent altitude. So less jet lag as you get less hypoxia
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Hi, I 've tried searching the forums but can't find a definitive answer. Now that Air NZ has shifted their close-to might night flight out of Auckland to Hong Kong to a day time flight, i thought id like at the CX option on the A350.

Any flown on the A350 in business and what is it like compared to Air NZ? The return flight also from Hong Kong is later in the evening so I am looking at CX metal both ways (on an NZ Ticket)
Iíve flown recently on CX A350-1000 in Business from HKG to TPE which was only a short flight but excellent hard and soft product - in fact the seat completely different class compared to NZ, great privacy and space with excellent storage/IFE/features. Even though flight only about 1.5h they served a breakfast with food far superior to NZ food. The staff were good - not the same as NZ but that may be a cultural thing.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellice View Post
Iíve flown both. Thought they were both much of a muchness. I was talking to a pilot travelling on CX. He spoke highly of Nz j. Said the cabins are less pressurised, or something, in NZ, thus making the cabin more comfortable to fly in on Air Nz. Any aviation geeks can correct me if Iíve got that wrong.
Interesting, looks like the dates im looking to fly are a mix between 787 and 772 for NZ metal, and the 772 is definitely more spacious.
Old Jun 24, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
The 787s run a higher pressure, so lower apparent altitude. So less jet lag as you get less hypoxia

OT. No 'apparent' about it - cabin pressure is 'actual'. But I know what you meant, and the benefits are real.

By this I mean if the cabin pressurization is set by flight deck crew to achieve a cabin 'altitude' of (say) 7,000' then, then the cabin atmosphere is at 7,000'. This is a critical consideration when flying certain medical evacuation flight profiles (eg a diver with the 'bends').

For the interested reader, the cabin altitude is set by selecting a pressure differential (usually calibrated in old-school 'psi'). The cabin is pressurised to a certain pressure differential of (say) 3psi, and as the aircraft climbs, and the outside air pressure reduces, the pressurisation system works to maintain the selected differential until a flight altitude is reached where the aircraft's pressurisation is 'maxed out' and any further climb will see a concurrent rise in cabin altitude.

Consequently, the aircraft fuselage needs to be stronger (and better sealed) to operate with a higher pressure differential to achieve lower cabin altitudes for any given flight altitude.

I flew the F-27 Friendship, which was rated for a cabin altitude of 8,000' when cruising at 20,000' with the max pressure differential of 4.16 psi. Modern types operate around 8-10 psi.
ps107 likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 24, 19 at 6:19 am
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I'd rather give up space to have better cabin pressure any day. I'm having to cut back future travel because jetlag is starting to effect my health. So I will take any help I can get!

​​​​
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:20 pm

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci..._campaign=news
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Yes i saw this, i asked AusBT yesterday if AKL-HKG was considered long haul - which is should be. They mentioned AUS-HKG is Mid-Range.
Old Jun 26, 19, 4:26 pm

Did AKL-HKG-DUB last summer, A350 both legs. Got off the plane in Dublin feeling great and ready to rock after two good sleeps.

Personally I MUCH preferred the seating arrangement on Cathay, I felt like I didn't see another person for the entire trip expect for the crew, who were great. I also thought the IFE on Cathay was better. Only complaint was after dinner they vanished for the night compared to Air NZ doing more walkthroughs with water, snacks etc. Didnt notice any difference in jetlag due to the pressure.

Having said all that, when we landed we were stuck for 45 minutes before being towed to the terminal due to this: Also meant they couldnt open the cargo doors so my wedding suit had to follow me a few days later
Incident: Cathay Pacific A359 near Dublin on Jul 28th 2018, nose wheel steering fault
Old Jun 27, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I'm planning on taking the Cathay flight next year leaving from HNK to AKL, but only because of the timing. It leaves at the better time to move between timezones IMHO.
Old Jun 29, 19, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Another vote for CX seat being much better than NZ in business. Food & beverage quality good but quantity mixed (okay some flights and a bit miserly on others).
poopbunny likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: