Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Christopher Luxon Resigns

Just out on Stuff and NZ Herald.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Next National Party MP at the 2020 elections.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: QF WP
Link to herald article about same- staying on til late September

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12242056
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No great loss

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...es-resignation
Air New Zealand chief executive officer Christopher Luxon resigned on Wednesday evening, hinting at a possible future in politics.

He will step down from day-to-day leadership of the airline on September 25
<snip>
It has previously been speculated that Luxon has ambitions to join the National Party and "do a John Key", starting with the 2020 election.

It's understood the National Party is keen to get Luxon on board as an MP.

Jami-Lee Ross' seat in Botany, considered a safe National seat by the party, will have a selection race running around the end of summer, when Luxon said he would make a decision about what to do next.
<snip>
​Luxon was the highest-paid chief executive of any company on the New Zealand stock exchange last year, earning $4.2 million.
<snip>
He is no John Key. People voted for Key, but many would not vote for Luxon
Bub001, nancypants and ottiehund like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
He is no John Key. People voted for Key, but many would not vote for Luxon
I kind of agree. He might be a good MP and will gain traction due to his success running NZ. However, is he charismatic enough to be a potential Nat leader?

I don't know him enough to answer that but I do know that heaven forbid you call him "Chris".
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Big question is who will replace him. Money certainly seems to be on Carrie after her return from Australia to the airline and recent announcements around diversity and females at the IATA conference.

This certainly wasn't a recent decision and has obviously been planned for some time.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12275516
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
wow impressive.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:11 pm

No aviation background from what I see, so will bring a fresh perspective.

What's Walmart's loyalty scheme like?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
given the extent of criticism about Walmart's 'ways of operating' - this could be an interesting appointment
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Guess we know what the new J product is then? looking forward to seeing an the all Y wallmart style 77W's on AKL-LAX.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Guess we know what the new J product is then? looking forward to seeing an the all Y wallmart style 77W's on AKL-LAX.
And clearly some of the Walmart customers that you see pictured on the internet will fit in really well in the NZ lounges.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
I think he has done great things for Walmart US, and he has a definite focus on the customer needs and experience so lets hope that comes with him to Air NZ.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by ottiehund
I think he has done great things for Walmart US, and he has a definite focus on the customer needs and experience so lets hope that comes with him to Air NZ.
I'd hardly say he's done "great things" for WalMart. He's dragged it away (somewhat) from US management norms and failings, but that's hardly a "great achievement." He's a financial manager that understands minimum customer experience delivery. That's unusual in the US, but pretty much the norm in the rest of the world.

That said, I think he'll be an improvement over Luxton - a man that was very much in the US management style and had no understanding of what customer experience and satisfaction means. If the new guy can maintain the financial controls and instill some consistency into customer service (at the peak NZ sometimes reaches) then success will follow naturally.

The other thing to remember: this will be a "retirement" job for him. WalMart to NZ? NZ's profit is a rounding error compared to the numbers & problems he's used to dealing with.
poopbunny likes this.

Last edited by JamesBigglesworth; Oct 10, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I saw this piece a while back on the new CEO.
. Doesn’t seem like one of those office types. Engages with employees, capable of watching the dollar and likes innovation.

I’m excited to see what he does. I think he’s staying with Walmart through Jan 31st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.