Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic baggage weight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Domestic baggage weight

Could someone clarify for me whether carryon bags for NZ*E are allowed to be 10kg on domestic A320 flights? I've just had an argument with an FA who forced me to check my 10kg bag despite (I thought) this being an Elite benefit:

[Carry-on bags: Elite members may take two pieces of carry-on baggage, with a combined total weight of 14kg with a maximum weight of either bag of up to 10kg.
From https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits#baggage.

Pretty annoying.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:46 pm

What was the issue with the bag? Was it the mass or the size?

As is a bag doesn't fit in wheels first but instead goes in sideways have heard one FA suggest that the person checks the bag in next time as too big
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

They said mass, which makes no sense since the check-in folks weighed as per usual. They seemed to think that the limit in an overhead was 7kg, not 10kg as stated online. I fly constantly on NZ with this bag without issue, pretty annoying start to a long trip to AMS, and I don't even know if I'll make it thru to my CHC - SIN now that I have to pick up the bag from bag claim.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes it is 10kg which is what the rules say. I've never once had an issue and often take two bags.

Air NZ do need to clamp down on abuse though - seems everybody these days just uses Fast Bag even on a seat only fare.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Yea, same here, I always pack 10kg and never have an issue. Maybe I should complain, all the FAs and even the pilot kept saying 7kg was the limit. Now have to rush to bag claim to make my connection to SQ!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by smanch
Yea, same here, I always pack 10kg and never have an issue. Maybe I should complain, all the FAs and even the pilot kept saying 7kg was the limit. Now have to rush to bag claim to make my connection to SQ!
For most people that is the limit, so best to reinforce that. Though should know the exceptions,
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: NZ *E
Why didn’t you just show them the Air NZ website info for Elite carry on bag weights?
Beano likes this.

Last edited by ace86; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:46 am Reason: Read thread wrong
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

This was an NZ A320 flight this morning, WLG-CHC. I pulled up the website on my phone and showed them the 10kg thing and they didn't understand or didn't care. Not cool!

And boy was SQ J CHC-SIN much better than my last NZ J flight.......
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I regularly take 2 x carry on bags on TT, domestic jet and regional turbo prop (Bag drop of course). One case is 10 kg exactly (my tools of trade) and the other is usually my PPE or work clothes. Never been check weighed. I can lift them myself and never let on they are even marginally heavy.

I often see people let on any service with bags that are bigger than allowed and clearly heavier than allowed (can't lift them in to overhead locker).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by smanch
how on earth did the pilot get involved
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes it is 10kg which is what the rules say. I've never once had an issue and often take two bags.

Air NZ do need to clamp down on abuse though - seems everybody these days just uses Fast Bag even on a seat only fare.
guilty.
kiwicyclo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.