FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Domestic baggage weight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1974434-domestic-baggage-weight.html)

smanch Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Domestic baggage weight

Could someone clarify for me whether carryon bags for NZ*E are allowed to be 10kg on domestic A320 flights? I've just had an argument with an FA who forced me to check my 10kg bag despite (I thought) this being an Elite benefit:

[Carry-on bags: Elite members may take two pieces of carry-on baggage, with a combined total weight of 14kg with a maximum weight of either bag of up to 10kg.
From https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits#baggage.

Pretty annoying.

nzkarit Jun 17, 2019 2:46 pm

What was the issue with the bag? Was it the mass or the size?

As is a bag doesn't fit in wheels first but instead goes in sideways have heard one FA suggest that the person checks the bag in next time as too big

smanch Jun 17, 2019 2:50 pm

They said mass, which makes no sense since the check-in folks weighed as per usual. They seemed to think that the limit in an overhead was 7kg, not 10kg as stated online. I fly constantly on NZ with this bag without issue, pretty annoying start to a long trip to AMS, and I don't even know if I'll make it thru to my CHC - SIN now that I have to pick up the bag from bag claim.

sbiddle Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Yes it is 10kg which is what the rules say. I've never once had an issue and often take two bags.

Air NZ do need to clamp down on abuse though - seems everybody these days just uses Fast Bag even on a seat only fare.

smanch Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Yea, same here, I always pack 10kg and never have an issue. Maybe I should complain, all the FAs and even the pilot kept saying 7kg was the limit. Now have to rush to bag claim to make my connection to SQ!

nzkarit Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by smanch (Post 31212552)
Yea, same here, I always pack 10kg and never have an issue. Maybe I should complain, all the FAs and even the pilot kept saying 7kg was the limit. Now have to rush to bag claim to make my connection to SQ!

For most people that is the limit, so best to reinforce that. Though should know the exceptions,

ace86 Jun 18, 2019 3:42 am

Why didn’t you just show them the Air NZ website info for Elite carry on bag weights?

smanch Jun 18, 2019 7:55 am

This was an NZ A320 flight this morning, WLG-CHC. I pulled up the website on my phone and showed them the 10kg thing and they didn't understand or didn't care. Not cool!

And boy was SQ J CHC-SIN much better than my last NZ J flight.......

kiwicyclo Jun 18, 2019 10:46 pm

I regularly take 2 x carry on bags on TT, domestic jet and regional turbo prop (Bag drop of course). One case is 10 kg exactly (my tools of trade) and the other is usually my PPE or work clothes. Never been check weighed. I can lift them myself and never let on they are even marginally heavy.

I often see people let on any service with bags that are bigger than allowed and clearly heavier than allowed (can't lift them in to overhead locker).

jeffrocowboy Jun 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by smanch (Post 31212552)

how on earth did the pilot get involved

Markhm Jun 19, 2019 4:12 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31212498)
Yes it is 10kg which is what the rules say. I've never once had an issue and often take two bags.

Air NZ do need to clamp down on abuse though - seems everybody these days just uses Fast Bag even on a seat only fare.

guilty.