Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close to Elite, is it worth an SP run?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
It's a credit card benefit. With a Kiwibank mastercard you can buy unlimited APDs. I did it earlier in the year when I ran out of APDs accrued and wanted to book elite upgrades.
seriously? I have a Platinum and never knew that.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by freemark

Thanks for comment.
Had a brief look for SP rich flights out of WLG but can’t initially find 100 points for $700. Suggestions? Only current booking I have is an AKL return which earns 43SP for $606 spend.
Buying APD’s? Is this an Elite benefit? I know I can get them through C/Card spend but this obviously not the SP’s I need.

Try a TT run via AKL with the outbound from AKL in PE perhaps ? It might only earn slightly < 100 SP you require and a return fare might be around the $1000 mark. I always try to play around with dates / routes and the value earn out of $ spend.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Markhm

seriously? I have a Platinum and never knew that.
This is available with any Air New Zealand Airpoints Credit Card - it doesn't need to be a Platinum card. It's it's not available with any other bank cards though.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E
it is up to you if you have known/committed flying schedule for the next 12 months after you have qualified.
To me, 98 is a bit to get. With TT SP rates being a joke, it is quite costly to get this done within one month
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's been a while since I'd looked at domestic status runs but looking now at a few options the cheapest I can find for 98SP is $784 for a domestic return trip. Used to be able to do this for under $700 last year.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
This is available with any Air New Zealand Airpoints Credit Card - it doesn't need to be a Platinum card. It's it's not available with any other bank cards though.
thank you, that is the best news I have had all day!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Thanks for feedback guys. Think I can do it with a cunning plan and it stacks up.
Will update when I have made it, and how.
But it looks like $650 or so on fares (after deducting the earned APD’s)
Could be a bit of lounging around involved however
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I recently did DUD-WLG-MEL on NZ/SQ in J and I just checked that it was 28 + 60 SP (88 total)...from memory it was ~500 o.w....you could do J return or do PMR-WLG-MEL in J and then MEL-WLG in Y? or WLG-MEL-WLG in J and Y and see if NZ will gift you the remainder (or CC spend for the remainder).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I did a domestic run last month WLG > AKL > NPL > AKL > WLG, leaving 6am and back in WLG by 2pm.

90 SP for $616. That was the best I could find at the time.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Adelaide strangely gives you very high SP. A one way business class from WLG for $798 gives you 118 SP.

I used this to my advantage with the triple status points offer - return airfares for around $800, got me 87 status points and tripled = 261!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Triple Status Points

Originally Posted by West45
Adelaide strangely gives you very high SP. A one way business class from WLG for $798 gives you 118 SP.

I used this to my advantage with the triple status points offer - return airfares for around $800, got me 87 status points and tripled = 261!
How do you get triple status points ?
brucelee likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by West45

Yeah i got 360 SP (120 x 3 AKL-SYD-AKL)
West45 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Sorry a bit late here. I think to get best value out of elite upgrades you need to book PE cash fares and then upgrade to J with RUs or standby upgrades. I’ve found a couple of times on overnight flights to the States I would have preferred to lie down on 3 seats in Y than get upgraded from Y to PE and sit up all night.

As others have said the elite partner perk is great, the standby upgrades you can do for friends and family and the elite call centre line are all helpful. Also I’m sure that airnz loyalty dept has discretion, very much, as to whether you get put back down immediately to gold status if you haven’t done enough flying the following year. Btw this is a helpful discussion on status run options!

Last edited by Ellice; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:25 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
How do you get triple status points ?
I remember at one point there was a targeted promotion that some people got and others didn't. I was not one of those people!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
This post from Kiwicylone is a reminder why Elite is worth it:

9th June
NZ108 SYD - AKL
Y-PE
1 x ELT, 1 x Jade
Cleared instantly on request
APD

21st June
NZ175 AKL - PER
Y-PE
1 x ELT, 1 x Jade
Cleared instantly on request
APD

24th June
NZ176 PER - AKL
Y-PE
1 x ELT, 1 x Jade
Cleared 24 hours out
APD

14th July
NZ126 - MEL - AKL
Y-PE
1 x ELT, 1 x Jade
Cleared on request
APD
NZbutterfly, freemark and Ellice like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.