FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   What to do with additional mileage earning (when already G Elite)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1971991-what-do-additional-mileage-earning-when-already-g-elite.html)

Fliar May 30, 2019 4:23 pm

What to do with additional mileage earning (when already G Elite)?

I need another 100 or so SP to retain G Elite by November and will have about 300 on an upcoming flight in business so I will have easily extended my status for another year.

I have three more long-haul flights on SQ in business in the coming weeks and am wondering about whether to credit those to NZ or whether it would make more sense to accumulate them elsewhere, especially if it gets me status perks such as UG vouchers with another airline. I understand there is a benefit in crediting them to NZ as they roll over for qualification for GE for next year but as these flights are not on NZ I don't think they will help me much (I don't have much difficulty in meeting the mileage requirement for GE but am having difficulty meeting the minimum number of miles flown on Air NZ).

About 75% of my flights are on Staralliance about 50% of which are in paid C or F. Most of my flights are on NZ and SQ.

Thank you for any advice you may have!

ClanJ May 30, 2019 5:19 pm

You could join Aegean Air A3 and credit extra miles to them. I have been NZ E for a number of years and in my last year currently and have switched to A3 as my FFP.

Just as an example of a benefit you can purchase miles with them. They have promotions and recently black friday promotion purchase up to 50000 miles and they gift another 50000 so a total of 100000 miles for cost 1200 Euro. A Star A redemption AKL/LHR in business 75000 miles and a TT return 25000 miles excluding taxes not a bad outcome.

NZbutterfly May 30, 2019 8:27 pm

What about SQ given you're flying them already? Pretty good redemption availability. Not sure about upgrades. Look into PPS requirements. They're a good ride.

I read you can get lifetime *A status with Asiana with I think reasonable redemptions. If it's upgrades you're after you're best using the programme of the airline you're flying.

Look at your NZ statement then compare that to the other FFP programmes you're interested in.

Alternatively you could pick up a one world airline. Gives you more choices.

kiwifrequentflyer May 30, 2019 8:49 pm

I'd also credit them to SQs program. With so many upcoming flights with them it sounds like you are going to be having a long term relationship with the airline & will benefit from their status benefits in general.

I also tend to credit other airline flights to non NZ if I can because it's the NZ metal requirement that's the real "challenge" - with credit cards & business spend the other is easy.

For me, I credit it to the next most common Star Alliance carrier I fly, which is United.

mccma Jun 2, 2019 3:48 pm

Could credit to Alaska, While not easy to see on their site, a J redemption on CX from Auckland to Hong Kong is about 35k miles. They also have v cheap sales of miles that make that redemption about 900 NZD if you just buy the miles so it would be cheap to top up.

NZ_Flyer Jun 3, 2019 1:51 am

Yeah I'd credit the NZ flights to NZ, the SQ flights to SQ and any other Star Alliance flights to NZ/SQ depending on which program needs the credit. That way you should get Elite from crediting just your NZ flights and hopefully get PPS on SQ with SQ miles you could use for upgrades to First. Whatever program you're short on (if at all) you should credit other Star Alliance flights to.

Fliar Jun 3, 2019 3:40 am

Thanks everyone, very sensible advice.