Major schedule changes

Old May 28, 19, 6:49 pm
azj
Original Poster

Major schedule changes

I recently booked tickets and within a few days noticed an alert on the app indicating there was a "flight change" and the data lined out. It advised alternative arrangements were being made and I'd be contacted. It appears they completely rearranged the operating days for my flights, which will force me to leave 3 days earlier and return 2 days later. My question is this... should I wait to be contacted, or give them a call and see what's going on? What leeway do they have in accommodating my party? This isn't until Feb 2020, so I fully realize changes can happen. I just didn't expect the changes to be so dramatic and so soon after booking. Ideas?
Old May 28, 19, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the route?
By Feb 2020 it could change again.
I would wait until ~3 months before the flights.
Old May 28, 19, 7:08 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What is the route?
By Feb 2020 it could change again.
I would wait until ~3 months before the flights.
Speaking with the call center now. The route is HNL-AKL, it appears the Thursday flight is canceled and the route will operate only T, F, SA. I had a connection to SYD, but the new flight on Friday doesn't connect to SYD on Saturday. They can offer flights earlier and later. Of course, I booked a Thursday because it worked best. Returning means cutting the trip short by 3 days or extending it two. They can reroute me LAX-AKL-SYD for $150 all in, waiving the change fees. It's 1 less night in SYD and requiring a ticket to LAX. But... more $$$ to get to LAX and a backtracking routing. There's always the extra miles though... =)
Old May 28, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints Elite
I had that happen to me last year (but wasn't a major change as yours) when I was booked to fly from LAX - AKL in October.
I called Air NZ immediately when I got the notification in the app to discuss options.
Although there was an alternative flight available the same day I was asked to be put on the next available alternative flight which gave me an extra night in LA.
The original flight I was booked on - NZ5, was re-scheduled to the following morning. The alternative was NZ1 the same evening but timing wasn't suitable & PE looked chocker when I looked at availability.
So they put me on NZ5 the next day and I got the same seat assignment as my original flight.

In your case, contact centre staff may not have details regarding alternatives available just yet but I would still call and find out to discuss.
Old May 28, 19, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azj View Post
Speaking with the call center now. The route is HNL-AKL, it appears the Thursday flight is canceled and the route will operate only T, F, SA. I had a connection to SYD, but the new flight on Friday doesn't connect to SYD on Saturday. They can offer flights earlier and later. Of course, I booked a Thursday because it worked best. Returning means cutting the trip short by 3 days or extending it two. They can reroute me LAX-AKL-SYD for $150 all in, waiving the change fees. It's 1 less night in SYD and requiring a ticket to LAX. But... more $$$ to get to LAX and a backtracking routing. There's always the extra miles though... =)
HNL-LAX with your own new money and them Air NZ LAX-AKL-SYD +$150 to replace HNL-AKL-SYD does not seem like a reasonable alternative. I would push more.
Or are they offering HNL-LAX-AKL-SYD for the $150?
Is this one way or return?
A full refund?
What do other airlines (HA, QF, JQ) have for HNL-SYD non stop?
Great Circle Mapper
Old May 28, 19, 9:15 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
HNL-LAX with your own new money and them Air NZ LAX-AKL-SYD +$150 to replace HNL-AKL-SYD does not seem like a reasonable alternative. I would push more.
Or are they offering HNL-LAX-AKL-SYD for the $150?
Is this one way or return?
A full refund?
What do other airlines (HA, QF, JQ) have for HNL-SYD non stop?
Great Circle Mapper
HNL-LAX would have been at my expense and QF/HA are both more expensive and don't offer proper premium economy. I'm UA 1K/Star Gold, so sticking with NZ was preferred. In the end, I decided to just leave 2 days earlier and come home 2 days later. Who doesn't want a few extra days in SYD and AKL anyhow right? haha.

Search this Thread