J Seats on 789 and 772

Old May 28, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
J Seats on 789 and 772

I'm flying NZ for the first time this September, very excited, on the following routing, all in J:

IAH-AKL NZ29 on 777-200
AKL-ADL NZ191 on 787-9
ADL-AKL NZ192 on 787-9
AKL-ORD NZ26 on 787-9

Any advice re good/bad seats? Thanks!
Old May 28, 19, 1:18 pm

Seat Guru's probably a good place to start, but if you're travelling solo, try to get an A seat on the 789. They're much more private as they face the back of the middle row of seats.
Old May 28, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I only have two pieces of advice -

1) A seats on 789 are quieter with less foot traffic because of the 1-1-1 configuration and the J/K facing each other whereas A faces the back of the J seat in the aisle.

2) Pick a seat based on your natural sleeping position if you're like most people and have a preference for left or right side. If you sleep on your left side A/J means your face will be facing the screen rather than the back wall. If you sleep on your right side you'll prefer a B/K seat.

While people may have a preference of seats there is basically zero difference between them all IMHO.
Old May 28, 19, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus III View Post
Seat Guru's probably a good place to start, but if you're travelling solo, try to get an A seat on the 789. They're much more private as they face the back of the middle row of seats.
Thanks! I have 1A on all 3 789 flights.
Old May 28, 19, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I only have two pieces of advice -

1) A seats on 789 are quieter with less foot traffic because of the 1-1-1 configuration and the J/K facing each other whereas A faces the back of the J seat in the aisle.

2) Pick a seat based on your natural sleeping position if you're like most people and have a preference for left or right side. If you sleep on your left side A/J means your face will be facing the screen rather than the back wall. If you sleep on your right side you'll prefer a B/K seat.

While people may have a preference of seats there is basically zero difference between them all IMHO.
Thanks!
Old May 28, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy View Post
Thanks! I have 1A on all 3 789 flights.
My first time in J was in row 1 on the 789 and I've avoided it since because the curtain and trolley were sometimes interfering with or bumping my feet/ottoman.
Old May 28, 19, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckett66 View Post
My first time in J was in row 1 on the 789 and I've avoided it since because the curtain and trolley were sometimes interfering with or bumping my feet/ottoman.
Good to know, thanks!
Old May 28, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beckett66 View Post
Row 1 is not my first choice due to these reasons. I've flown it numerous times, but on one occasion did have a cabin crew member who hit my ottoman with the cart every time she pushed it through the curtains.

I wouldn't deem it an issue 99% of the time, but it is something that can happen that won't happen in other seats.
Old May 28, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Row 1 is not my first choice due to these reasons. I've flown it numerous times, but on one occasion did have a cabin crew member who hit my ottoman with the cart every time she pushed it through the curtains.

I wouldn't deem it an issue 99% of the time, but it is something that can happen that won't happen in other seats.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old May 28, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Would not recommend row 1 the light annoyed me last time i had it. But it is preference I suppose.
Old May 28, 19, 5:30 pm

I usually try to avoid the last row as well due to proximity to toilets and galley.

But I would take 789 A first or last row over 789 mid rows J/K

Search this Thread