Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is the new AKL Regional lounge almost complete?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the new AKL Regional lounge almost complete?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I flew WLG-TRG via AKL on Monday morning. Went into the main domestic Koru after landing as there was no point even trying to visit the regional lounge. Walked down to the regional area and got there about 10 mins before boarding started and the place was a zoo. Zero free seats and probably another 60-70 people standing around so I walked outside to enjoy the sunshine.

The entire regional area simply isn't big enough. I'd hate to think how they'll cope if screening on regional flights becomes a reality before the new domestic terminal is completed in 2034 (if it doesn't get pushed back further.)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
One wonders whether Air NZ will turn off the demand for Koru space given they seem to be unable to accurately provide the supply of capacity to manage a stream of business that they themselves create.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
One wonders whether Air NZ will turn off the demand for Koru space given they seem to be unable to accurately provide the supply of capacity to manage a stream of business that they themselves create.
It would be interesting to know the proportion of Lounge guests who are Koru Members vs NZ G & GE vs other entry privileges.

They could bump the Koru fee if this would reduce numbers - if it didn’t they could use the extra dosh to increase lounge size (where possible) or amenities..
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by freemark
It would be interesting to know the proportion of Lounge guests who are Koru Members vs NZ G & GE vs other entry privileges.

They could bump the Koru fee if this would reduce numbers - if it didn’t they could use the extra dosh to increase lounge size (where possible) or amenities..
Be also interesting to see *G numbers that use the KC as well - I assume we are a tiny minority....
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
I know i bang on about this but one thing they could do is put in place a dress code. i note that the new virgin lounge (operated by 1 Lounge in Brisbane) has this dress code

"Be mindful that as with most lounges operated by No1, My Lounge has a dress code: fancy dress outfits, clothing with offensive slogans, replica sports kits, exposed midriffs or upper thighs, or bare shoulders on men are all prohibited. Tracksuits are also barred, except when changing into these just prior to departing the lounge."

All of the above are frequently spotted at all NZ lounges. A dress code would reduce the numbers
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I know i bang on about this but one thing they could do is put in place a dress code. i note that the new virgin lounge (operated by 1 Lounge in Brisbane) has this dress code

"Be mindful that as with most lounges operated by No1, My Lounge has a dress code: fancy dress outfits, clothing with offensive slogans, replica sports kits, exposed midriffs or upper thighs, or bare shoulders on men are all prohibited. Tracksuits are also barred, except when changing into these just prior to departing the lounge."

All of the above are frequently spotted at all NZ lounges. A dress code would reduce the numbers
Maybe. I spent around 10 hours in the International Lounge on Fri 30 Aug after TG492 went unserviceable and I re-routed to BKK on NZ/CX via HKG - so I had plenty of time to observe the growing lounge numbers until the 5pm- 9pm period of chaos and crowding.

The thing that stands out most in my mind was not dress code issues (don’t recall any), it was was noise generated by (mainly) women drinking quite a lot of wine.

Specifically, I observed group of 6 women who consumed 5 ‘full’ glasses of wine (each) before boarding their flight to HNL in the ‘porch area’ behind the second bar, and the change of noise level over the 90-120 minutes they were there was notable. Unfortunately, the lounge was so full I couldn’t relocate. To be fair, they were not totally obnoxious, just extremely loud with quite a lot of swearing thrown in.

Improving general behaviour and consideration for others ranks higher for me than implementing and (somehow) policing dress code...

By way of comparison, pax in CX’s Pier at HKG, TG/SQ/BR/TK lounges in BKK, and LX’s Senator Lounge(s) in ZRH were all very much quieter. And yes, the dress code similar to that quoted by @oranjemakker appeared to be broadly adhered to in all of these lounges.

Perhaps my recent KC experience (a modest data point I know), is just a generalised reflection of NZ culture?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 16, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Specifically, I observed group of 6 women who consumed 5 ‘full’ glasses of wine (each) before boarding their flight to HNL in the ‘porch area’ behind the second bar,
Gotta get your money's worth from the lounge. It's all it is there for.

I felt so under dressed visiting The Pier the other day before flying back to NZ...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Gotta get your money's worth from the lounge. It's all it is there for.
Especially if on a S2S fare. Just encourages preloading in the lounge.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by oranjemakker

and the female dress code?

I gotta say I've never been bothered by the dress of anyone - more annoyed by the loud and inconsiderate behavior of a relatively small number (some dressed in suits).
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Would agree.

Why should I judge what other people feel most comfortable traveling in?

But yeah noise, phones & people who feel bags need their own seat are the issue to me.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Cold Dulcet in a glass is a lot better than warm Dulcet in a plastic cup!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by sbiddle
warm Dulcet in a plastic cup!
God i hate that crap

The wines on offer in the Koru are better much the Economy and PE wines anyhow (its a shame Air NZ downgraded the offering to economy wines for PE)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Restrict the lounges from Seat Only fares? Oh wait that would probably cause wide spread outrage.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Maybe. I spent around 10 hours in the International Lounge on Fri 30 Aug after TG492 went unserviceable and I re-routed to BKK on NZ/CX via HKG - so I had plenty of time to observe the growing lounge numbers until the 5pm- 9pm period of chaos and crowding.

The thing that stands out most in my mind was not dress code issues (don’t recall any), it was was noise generated by (mainly) women drinking quite a lot of wine.

Specifically, I observed group of 6 women who consumed 5 ‘full’ glasses of wine (each) before boarding their flight to HNL in the ‘porch area’ behind the second bar, and the change of noise level over the 90-120 minutes they were there was notable. Unfortunately, the lounge was so full I couldn’t relocate. To be fair, they were not totally obnoxious, just extremely loud with quite a lot of swearing thrown in.

Improving general behaviour and consideration for others ranks higher for me than implementing and (somehow) policing dress code...

By way of comparison, pax in CX’s Pier at HKG, TG/SQ/BR/TK lounges in BKK, and LX’s Senator Lounge(s) in ZRH were all very much quieter. And yes, the dress code similar to that quoted by @oranjemakker appeared to be broadly adhered to in all of these lounges.

Perhaps my recent KC experience (a modest data point I know), is just a generalised reflection of NZ culture?
Qantas domestic Business lounges (not just the standard Qantas Club) in evenings have no shortage of this, this from flyers who are either in domestic business or are QF Platinum (or above) so roughly equivalent to NZ Elite. It's not just NZ. Get the same in BA club lounges (not in the Concorde Rooms to be fair).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

Perhaps my recent KC experience (a modest data point I know), is just a generalized reflection of NZ culture?
To be honest the worst dress i have seen is in the domestic lounges. Tank tops and jandals. I'm probably old fashioned, but it seems to me the dress can reflect on behaviour?
relating to overcrowding, a dress code might help simply because people would be turned away (I suppose this would be short term as people might learn...)

In the domestic lounge in AKL especially Thursday and Friday evenings feels like a pub, with people standing around getting the drinks in....A fair share of them are "suits" so a dress code would not solve all problems!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.