Air NZ economy + ?

Old May 21, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, AF Ivory, FlyBe, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Air NZ economy + ?

See this report

On wide body planes there will be standard economy, the new product with a working name of ''economy comfort or economy plus,'' the Sky Couch and further forward premium economy and business premier.Wallace said Air New Zealand was modelling its new economy seat on overseas airlines, mainly those which cross the Atlantic.United Airlines has had ''economy plus'' for many years and they are popular with passengers. They are part of the main economy section and the seats have an extra 12cm between them. For a transpacific flight, United charges around US$170 ($265) extra.Speaking at the Trenz tourism event in Rotorua, Wallace said the revamp was part of a review of aircraft Layout of Passenger Amenities (Lopa).He said there would be 30 to 40 new economy seats retrofitted into existing planes. The airline's wide body fleet has between 275 seats and 342 seats.''We've looked at various scenarios - there are some airlines that do economy minus or basic economy but given the distance that we're away from primary markets we want it to be a higher spec product rather than a reduced spec product. That's the direction we're going in.''

The obvious question is whether it would mean 9 abreast on a 777 or 8 abreast on a 787, as well as extra legroom (say Space + level on long haul). Do that and it really will make a difference and justify paying more, plus with the obvious of getting off first and first choice of meals etc.

Last edited by libertyuk; May 21, 19 at 6:12 pm
Old May 21, 19, 12:45 pm

If they still have Premium Economy, that would make the new class the same as the fairly miserable and pointless 'plus' products on USA airlines. The seats would be identical to the standard Y seats, you would just have a couple extra inches of legroom. If anything, this will just mean that they will be reducing the pitch on the standard Y seats, which makes this another bad idea overall.

The bottom line for me is that I cannot sleep in a standard Y seat unless I can lean forward in a bulkhead/exit seat, because the recline is horrible. A few extra inches of pitch will still not be enough to lean forward, and the recline will still be the same.
Old May 21, 19, 12:59 pm

It will be pitch related my guess. May be with more pitch also increase recline? Hope they also put more extension on the tray table as they often can't get close enough and with the increased pitched will be more apparent.

Doubt they reduce number if seats in a row as that will muddy the waters with PE.

That said with Sky Couch rows don't they already have a product with more leg room?

Personally would like to see instead of works deluxe how about seat deluxe? An empty next to you but without the food, movies & a bag. Normally TT I just want to sleep & not have someone overflow into my seat
Old May 21, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
No way they'd ever reduce the 777 from 10 to 9 abreast.

From some discussions a few months ago when I heard about this I believe the plan was essentially just as Cam Wallace said - there will be rows at the front of the Economy cabin that will have extra pitch and in effect be an Economy+ offering with the exact same service as Economy. For this to make sense it would suggest seat pitch has to be reduced elsewhere, but there are some limits as to what they can do if they maintain the same number of Skycouch capable seats.

Seat pitch itself isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to seat comfort, as the new slimline Neo seats show.

Everything the airline is looking at now is about cost cutting and growing revenue. There are some incredibly tough times ahead in the industry, with many airlines already feeling the pinch.
Old May 21, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
I wonder how it will operate with regard to RUs? If you purchase economy and apply a single RU, will that skip Economy+ and get you into PE? Or will this new product introduce a new layer?
Old May 21, 19, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by stick1 View Post
I wonder how it will operate with regard to RUs? If you purchase economy and apply a single RU, will that skip Economy+ and get you into PE? Or will this new product introduce a new layer?
My guess it will basically be like works deluxe but on a wide body. Currently if apply an RU to Seat go to PE for instance not Seat+Bag or Works. So doubt it will affect RUs .
Old May 21, 19, 11:24 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
It's simply an add on for more seat pitch, nothing else. It is about getting more out of economy passengers, not taking away from PE and Business
Old May 21, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
It's simply an add on for more seat pitch, nothing else. It is about getting more out of economy passengers, not taking away from PE and Business
Most likely selling what currently are frequent flyer seats that have an little bit more legroom for extra $$$.
Old May 22, 19, 2:12 am

I'm confused - doesn't this already exist?

On most of the current aircraft the front rows of the aircraft already have extra legroom.

The 787's and 772's the difference is 5cm, 7-10cm on the old A320's and up to 13cm on the A320 neo.

The only one where the difference isn't big is the 773's.
Old May 22, 19, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by henrus View Post
I'm confused - doesn't this already exist?

On most of the current aircraft the front rows of the aircraft already have extra legroom.

The 787's and 772's the difference is 5cm, 7-10cm on the old A320's and up to 13cm on the A320 neo.

The only one where the difference isn't big is the 773's.
Guess they want to sell it rather than give it for free to FF
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, AF Ivory, FlyBe, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Guess they want to sell it rather than give it for free to FF
Then it becomes a question as to whether status allows you to access them for free. It would be extraordinary to remove this from Elites and Golds, and it would mean Space + on international A320s will either have to increase in size, or will be sold out. It's already not easy to get Space + seats on some Trans Tasman flights booking 2-3 weeks out.
Old May 22, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
Then it becomes a question as to whether status allows you to access them for free. It would be extraordinary to remove this from Elites and Golds, and it would mean Space + on international A320s will either have to increase in size, or will be sold out. It's already not easy to get Space + seats on some Trans Tasman flights booking 2-3 weeks out.
I believe United does both - Gold and Elites can access them for free and non-status can buy them.

It would not surprise me if this is the route they go. They may add more rows to accommodate increased demand.
trooper likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf View Post
I believe United does both - Gold and Elites can access them for free and non-status can buy them.
UA only permits its own elites (i.e. not OAL *G) to choose Economy Plus for free, so that could be some easy ancillary revenue for NZ there.