Star Gold Domestic Baggage Allowance

Old May 18, 19, 9:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
Posts: 442
Star Gold Domestic Baggage Allowance

I'm a bit confused with the info on the ANZ site:

https://www.airnewzealand.com/checked-in-baggage

Looking to fly CHC-ZQN on ANZ. If I buy a seat+bag fare, would my *G (via United) entitle me to 2 bags?

Thanks!
smxflyer is offline  
Old May 18, 19, 9:43 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
I'm a bit confused with the info on the ANZ site:

https://www.airnewzealand.com/checked-in-baggage

Looking to fly CHC-ZQN on ANZ. If I buy a seat+bag fare, would my *G (via United) entitle me to 2 bags?

Thanks!
.

Yes. *G with UA gets an additional bag (max 23kg) on top of the 23kg bag with Seat+Bag, to give a total of 2 bags.

Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.

(corrected wrong info on pieces vs weight)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 19, 19 at 11:42 am
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old May 19, 19, 5:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Yes, but the weight system is used.

So, your *G with UA gets an additional 20kg, on top of the 23kg with Seat+Bag give a total of 43kg. This can be distributed in any number of bags (within reason).

Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.
Is that right? Should still be the piece system so it will be 2 x 23kg for *G.
Xiaotung is online now  
Old May 19, 19, 5:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Yes, but the weight system is used.

So, your *G with UA gets an additional 20kg, on top of the 23kg with Seat+Bag give a total of 43kg. This can be distributed in any number of bags (within reason).

Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.
Um... unless I’ve misinterpreted something, isn’t OP just saying that they have (or looking to purchase) an NZ Seat + bag domestic fare and they have UA*G?

They would be able to only take 2 bags total (one extra due to UA*G), each weighing up to 23kg. Weight only concept doesn’t apply on NZ flights.
BZNZ is offline  
Old May 19, 19, 11:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by BZNZ View Post


Um... unless I’ve misinterpreted something, isn’t OP just saying that they have (or looking to purchase) an NZ Seat + bag domestic fare and they have UA*G?

They would be able to only take 2 bags total (one extra due to UA*G), each weighing up to 23kg. Weight only concept doesn’t apply on NZ flights.
Yes quite right, my mistake - corrected. Too many flights on other airlines....
trooper likes this.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old May 19, 19, 11:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Is that right? Should still be the piece system so it will be 2 x 23kg for *G.
My mistake. Corrected....
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:05 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
Posts: 442
I'm flying this itinerary on August 14 and contacted ANZ to confirm. Was told the following:

Thanks for this confirmation. As a Star Alliance Gold member, you can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for your fare (not a family member's fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines. This policy would not be applicable to this booking, as this only has flights tickets on one Star Alliance airline, Air New Zealand. ^FC

Is this correct and I'll only be able to check 1 bag?
smxflyer is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
I'm flying this itinerary on August 14 and contacted ANZ to confirm. Was told the following:

Thanks for this confirmation. As a Star Alliance Gold member, you can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for your fare (not a family member's fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines. This policy would not be applicable to this booking, as this only has flights tickets on one Star Alliance airline, Air New Zealand. ^FC

Is this correct and I'll only be able to check 1 bag?
You were told wrong. Some years ago, NZ consulted *A on what the deal was in terms of Star Gold baggage rules on Seat Only fares. They were told NZ would have to honour Star Gold benefits on itineraries with 2 or more Star carriers, ie., Seat Only fares cannot be built into an itinerary involving another carrier. They took it to mean that they only need to honour this benefit involving 2 or more carriers. It is actually only Seat Only fares that they don't need to offer this benefit to. If you use the baggage calculator on NZ website it will still give you the correct advice despite footnote 1.

Star Alliance has recently updated the wording to this:

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Aug 11, 19 at 4:04 am
Xiaotung is online now  
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:05 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
Posts: 442
Flew today and got 2 bags. Thanks all for the help!
smxflyer is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: myWaitrose Member
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.
Whoaaa... does it really? How much savings have you seen in the past?
futuramadramallama is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:15 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,015
<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama View Post
Whoaaa... does it really? How much savings have you seen in the past?
<br /><br />Example: AKL-WLG<br /><br />.co.nz starting base fare - $49NZD<br />.com starting base fare $46USD (Around $71NZD)</div>
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:35 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SJC/SFO/OAK
Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum
Posts: 257
I plan to fly from SFO to ZQN. All flights will be with ANZ but Ticketing for international and domestic flights will be bought separately due to price difference and schedule constraints offered by google flights and Hipmunk. If I buy Seat” fares offered by ANZ, would I be allowed a free checked bag or extra weight allowance for carry-on as a *Gold member?

Last edited by LisaH; Dec 17, 19 at 12:40 am
LisaH is offline  
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TRG
Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Posts: 997
No.
No bag on Seat fares.
WLGNZ is online now  
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SJC/SFO/OAK
Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by WLGNZ View Post
No.
No bag on Seat fares.
Got it. Thanks!
LisaH is offline  
Old Dec 17, 19, 2:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by LisaH
...extra weight allowance for carry-on as a *Gold member?
Originally Posted by WLGNZ View Post
No.
No bag on Seat fares.
Actually, as *G you are allowed 2x 7kg carry on, i.e. a combined max of 14kg (1 carryon max 10kg).

No *A additional baggage on Seat only fare as noted above
Thai-Kiwi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: