FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Star Gold Domestic Baggage Allowance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1970325-star-gold-domestic-baggage-allowance.html)

smxflyer May 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Star Gold Domestic Baggage Allowance

I'm a bit confused with the info on the ANZ site:

https://www.airnewzealand.com/checked-in-baggage

Looking to fly CHC-ZQN on ANZ. If I buy a seat+bag fare, would my *G (via United) entitle me to 2 bags?

Thanks!

Thai-Kiwi May 18, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer (Post 31115715)
I'm a bit confused with the info on the ANZ site:

https://www.airnewzealand.com/checked-in-baggage

Looking to fly CHC-ZQN on ANZ. If I buy a seat+bag fare, would my *G (via United) entitle me to 2 bags?

Thanks!

Yes. *G with UA gets an additional bag (max 23kg) on top of the 23kg bag with Seat+Bag, to give a total of 2 bags.

Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.

(corrected wrong info on pieces vs weight)

Xiaotung May 19, 2019 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31115756)
Yes, but the weight system is used.

So, your *G with UA gets an additional 20kg, on top of the 23kg with Seat+Bag give a total of 43kg. This can be distributed in any number of bags (within reason).

Buying on the co.nz site can yield cheaper domestic fares than on the .com site.

Is that right? Should still be the piece system so it will be 2 x 23kg for *G.

BZNZ May 19, 2019 5:15 am

Yes, but the weight system is used.

So, your *G with UA gets an additional 20kg, on top of the 23kg with Seat+Bag give a total of 43kg. This can be distributed in any number of bags (within reason).

Um... unless I’ve misinterpreted something, isn’t OP just saying that they have (or looking to purchase) an NZ Seat + bag domestic fare and they have UA*G?

They would be able to only take 2 bags total (one extra due to UA*G), each weighing up to 23kg. Weight only concept doesn’t apply on NZ flights.

Thai-Kiwi May 19, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BZNZ (Post 31116282)

Um... unless I’ve misinterpreted something, isn’t OP just saying that they have (or looking to purchase) an NZ Seat + bag domestic fare and they have UA*G?

They would be able to only take 2 bags total (one extra due to UA*G), each weighing up to 23kg. Weight only concept doesn’t apply on NZ flights.

Yes quite right, my mistake - corrected. Too many flights on other airlines....

Thai-Kiwi May 19, 2019 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 31116276)
Is that right? Should still be the piece system so it will be 2 x 23kg for *G.

My mistake. Corrected....

smxflyer Aug 11, 2019 3:05 am

I'm flying this itinerary on August 14 and contacted ANZ to confirm. Was told the following:

Thanks for this confirmation. As a Star Alliance Gold member, you can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for your fare (not a family member's fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines. This policy would not be applicable to this booking, as this only has flights tickets on one Star Alliance airline, Air New Zealand. ^FC

Is this correct and I'll only be able to check 1 bag?

Xiaotung Aug 11, 2019 3:52 am

Originally Posted by smxflyer (Post 31403135)
I'm flying this itinerary on August 14 and contacted ANZ to confirm. Was told the following:

Thanks for this confirmation. As a Star Alliance Gold member, you can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for your fare (not a family member's fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines. This policy would not be applicable to this booking, as this only has flights tickets on one Star Alliance airline, Air New Zealand. ^FC

Is this correct and I'll only be able to check 1 bag?

You were told wrong. Some years ago, NZ consulted *A on what the deal was in terms of Star Gold baggage rules on Seat Only fares. They were told NZ would have to honour Star Gold benefits on itineraries with 2 or more Star carriers, ie., Seat Only fares cannot be built into an itinerary involving another carrier. They took it to mean that they only need to honour this benefit involving 2 or more carriers. It is actually only Seat Only fares that they don't need to offer this benefit to. If you use the baggage calculator on NZ website it will still give you the correct advice despite footnote 1.

Star Alliance has recently updated the wording to this:

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

smxflyer Aug 14, 2019 3:05 am

Flew today and got 2 bags. Thanks all for the help!

futuramadramallama Aug 23, 2019 11:18 am

Whoaaa... does it really? How much savings have you seen in the past?

cavemanzk Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm

<div style="text-align:left;">

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama (Post 31448316)
Whoaaa... does it really? How much savings have you seen in the past?

<br /><br />Example: AKL-WLG<br /><br />.co.nz starting base fare - $49NZD<br />.com starting base fare $46USD (Around $71NZD)</div>

LisaH Dec 17, 2019 12:35 am

I plan to fly from SFO to ZQN. All flights will be with ANZ but Ticketing for international and domestic flights will be bought separately due to price difference and schedule constraints offered by google flights and Hipmunk. If I buy Seat” fares offered by ANZ, would I be allowed a free checked bag or extra weight allowance for carry-on as a *Gold member?

WLGNZ Dec 17, 2019 12:39 am

No.
No bag on Seat fares.

LisaH Dec 17, 2019 12:41 am

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 31848063)
No.
No bag on Seat fares.

Got it. Thanks!

Thai-Kiwi Dec 17, 2019 2:07 am

Originally Posted by LisaH
...extra weight allowance for carry-on as a *Gold member?

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 31848063)
No.
No bag on Seat fares.

Actually, as *G you are allowed 2x 7kg carry on, i.e. a combined max of 14kg (1 carryon max 10kg).

No *A additional baggage on Seat only fare as noted above