Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Are APD upgrades gifted at Elite level or the giftees level?

Old May 15, 19, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

So here is a question I thought I knew the answer too.

I swear I had been told by Air NZ before that if you gift an APD to someone NOT on the same ticket as you, it goes through at your level (elite) but if you gift an RU it goes through that their level. Thus it was better to lodge a APD upgrade for a family member compared to an RU. I swear I've been told that multiple times.

Well, twice now I've had Air NZ staff on their own volition tell me when I lodge APD upgrades for family members "this will be judged at their status level" - so my APD upgrades are no better than my RUs now.

Have I just been wrong? Or has there been a change?
Old May 15, 19, 5:18 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
My experiences have always been that it is your own current status level that matters in all circumstances.
Old May 15, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
It would be highly unfair if APD upgrades were processed at Elite level rather than the giftee's own status.
Old May 15, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints Elite
On a recent flight from HKG - AKL I had gifted APD to my travel companion travelling on a separate ticket to upgrade from Y to PE. It cleared 2 days prior to departure and she has no status.
On the other hand my RU from PE to J only cleared at the lounge - about 6 hours before departure.
I know they say there's a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to upgrades, but it was surprising that someone with no status had their upgrades cleared 2 days in advance.
Old May 15, 19, 3:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by gambda View Post
On a recent flight from HKG - AKL I had gifted APD to my travel companion travelling on a separate ticket to upgrade from Y to PE. It cleared 2 days prior to departure and she has no status.
On the other hand my RU from PE to J only cleared at the lounge - about 6 hours before departure.
I know they say there's a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to upgrades, but it was surprising that someone with no status had their upgrades cleared 2 days in advance.
Apples and oranges with that example.

If they had both been Y - PE then that would have been interesting.
trooper likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by gambda View Post
It's not at all surprising. Assuming there is availability upgrades are cleared in advance if possible - it's just that many never clear until the gate because of the high loadings in premium cabins.
Old May 15, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
All my experiences with gifted Elite APD upgrades have shown they are given priority above Gold members but below Elite members (and this is when the giftee is NOT travelling with the Elite gifter). This includes multiple instances when the Elite APD gifted upgrade has cleared before Gold RU's - Gold members travelling on separate bookings applying their own upgrades and in the same original booking class.

I think this is a glitch that Air NZ are aware of but have chosen not to do anything about.
Old May 15, 19, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Maybe this glitch has been recently fixed, which is why they've been making sure to tell me each time that "it will be cleared at THEIR status level, not yours."

Because I swear last year I was on the phone to Air NZ. I was going to switch to RUs for my parents and I was told this explicitly. I had also been told previously, but that was the time it stuck out to me the most since I was told specifically that APD upgrades clear at a higher level than their status.
Old May 16, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Well I think the reason itís there is because when NZ introduced One Ups they rewrote the algorithm/business rules for upgrades to take into account the priority of RUís over One Ups (and of course the priority of different status levels within all that).

But remember APD upgrades were out so werenít taken into account. So when they had to reintroduce Elite APD upgrades after the customer feedback, rather then add them fully into the new upgrade priorities properly (which would have entailed a lot of work) they just added them in quickly as a side note hence the priorities werenít the same as RUís
Old May 22, 19, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Well their APD upgrade was talked about on the latest phone call like like it was high up on the clear list and they got it a, day early. So the jury is out I guess if they have "fixed" this loophole or not!

Search this Thread