Recognition upgrades - will they disappear?

Old May 10, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Recognition upgrades - will they disappear?

Iím currently gold and, due to work paying for business on the one international trip Iíve taken in the last eight months, Iíve still got two recognition upgrades.

Iím 24 points away from retaining gold status (need to do so by July) and will have those points by Tuesday. Will the recognition upgrades I currently have disappear when I achieve gold retention, or will I still have the Ďoldí upgrades until July and get the Ďnewí ones then?

Iím planning personal international travel later in the year and so if the upgrades will disappear come Tuesday, Iíll quickly book my trip... but Iíd rather not have to do that.

Any any help and advice is much appreciated.
Old May 10, 19, 4:17 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by suadela View Post
Iím currently gold and, due to work paying for business on the one international trip Iíve taken in the last eight months, Iíve still got two recognition upgrades.

Iím 24 points away from retaining gold status (need to do so by July) and will have those points by Tuesday. Will the recognition upgrades I currently have disappear when I achieve gold retention, or will I still have the Ďoldí upgrades until July and get the Ďnewí ones then?

Iím planning personal international travel later in the year and so if the upgrades will disappear come Tuesday, Iíll quickly book my trip... but Iíd rather not have to do that.

Any any help and advice is much appreciated.
Upgrades will only disappear if you haven't used them when you start a new membership year.
Old May 10, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Youíre fine, and have until July to use them. This doesnít mean flying by July, so you can book a trip for later as long as you request the upgrades before your membership year expires.
Old May 10, 19, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both for your replies - stoked I donít need to drop money on flights until a good sale comes up
Old May 10, 19, 10:46 pm

If July is your requalification anniversary date, your RU expiry will be 1 Sep or Oct.

Your fresh RU for your requal year will be 1 Sep/Oct expunging any unused RU.

Recognition upgrades
Old May 11, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
You only lose RUs when you go up a status level, not for requalifying for your current status level.

For example if you now got enough points in the next 2 months to quality as Elite and had not lodged your 2 x Gold RUs, you would lose your 2 x current Gold RUs and gain 2 x Elite RUs and 1 x Elite shorthaul RU.
Kiwi Flyer likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 10:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You only lose RUs when you go up a status level, not for requalifying for your current status level.

For example if you now got enough points in the next 2 months to quality as Elite and had not lodged your 2 x Gold RUs, you would lose your 2 x current Gold RUs and gain 2 x Elite RUs and 1 x Elite shorthaul RU.
Just to clarify...

If you are currently Elite and have 2 x Elite RUs when you re-qualify as Elite for another year, is my thinking correct that you don't lose those RUs?

So you could end up with 4 x Elite RUs (once the new year ones are available)?

I've never been in the situation of still having RUs available when coming up to re-qualification. But I do at the moment and was thinking they would disappear.
Old May 11, 19, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by yotty View Post
Just to clarify...

If you are currently Elite and have 2 x Elite RUs when you re-qualify as Elite for another year, is my thinking correct that you don't lose those RUs?
Correct

So you could end up with 4 x Elite RUs (once the new year ones are available)?
Nope.

I've never been in the situation of still having RUs available when coming up to re-qualification. But I do at the moment and was thinking they would disappear.
They disappear on your anniversary date (which is NOT your requalification date)
Old May 11, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Gotcha! That makes much more sense.
Old May 14, 19, 1:53 pm

Programs: Air GE, Emirates Gold
Great Elite only benefit - Recognition upgrade vouchers do no expiry while remaining elite.

Air NZ - are you listening?? LOL
poopbunny likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by atknz View Post
Great Elite only benefit - Recognition upgrade vouchers do no expiry while remaining elite.

Air NZ - are you listening?? LOL
I'm not really sure what the point would be.

Realistically probably 95% of Elite's aren't going to be Elite without multiple overseas trips. I'd be surprised if many would have RU's left that they haven't used or gifted to somebody else.
Old May 14, 19, 6:37 pm

I'm not really sure what the point would be.

Realistically probably 95% of Elite's aren't going to be Elite without multiple overseas trips. I'd be surprised if many would have RU's left that they haven't used or gifted to somebody else.
As someone who has renewed Elite without any international travel for a couple of years, I would appreciate being able to save them up instead of losing them/giving them away. But I do appreciate I am likely in the minority and most Elite's would have the odd international trip to apply them against.
poopbunny likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: Air GE, Emirates Gold
While I agree most Elites would use the RUs, my point is rather than just use them on anything before they are going to expire, it would would be a nice "Elite Benefit" where a RU does not need to expire - that way it could be used for something more intended and allows for times when a RU has been declined and is wastered since there may not be any more travel in the time frame before the RU is going to expire.
Old May 14, 19, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by atknz View Post
While I agree most Elites would use the RUs, my point is rather than just use them on anything before they are going to expire, it would would be a nice "Elite Benefit" where a RU does not need to expire - that way it could be used for something more intended and allows for times when a RU has been declined and is wastered since there may not be any more travel in the time frame before the RU is going to expire.
I can see your point but struggle to understand why you don't see this as the craziest idea ever. Allowing people to stockpile anything just makes things worse. It would simply make upgrade availability a much bigger issue than it is now.
Old May 15, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I can see your point but struggle to understand why you don't see this as the craziest idea ever. Allowing people to stockpile anything just makes things worse. It would simply make upgrade availability a much bigger issue than it is now.
Agree entirely, there are plenty of complaints about not being able to get upgrades, it would only get worse if you could stockpile them.

Having said that, re your earlier comment that people use their upgrades. I seldom do, and neither does my wife use hers. If we don't gift them to the kids they just lapse, this year we will waste all six. I think there are quite a few RU's that go to waste throughout the system for various reasons. What we would like to see is the ability to swap them for something we would use.

Search this Thread