Last call etc

Old Apr 29, 19, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite; Qantas Platinum; China Southern Gold; Marriott PPE; Accor Gold
Last call etc

So now that I am flying JQ more often on my CHC-AKL-CHC hops to get QF status points (see previous posts) I get to sit in the very comfortable working seats at CHC near the jet boarding gates. Just observed a 9am Air NZ departure to AKL. The boarding proper would have finished at 0845, which was followed by at least 5 other "final calls", "your last opportunity to board", "the offload process has begun", names calls for pax etc.

Some people ran from the security gates, while some were just sitting near the gates nonchalantly waiting till their name was called a few times. Even at 0857 they were still giving one last passenger who they were paging the opportunity to board, this probably 10 minutes after they said the last call had been issued.

While I know that offloading is a pain as they have to find bags, do you think they should be stricter about the offload process?

If they actually enforced last call as say departure minus 10 would people actually show up on time. Looking at the latecomers they were a mix of families (who probably dont travel frequently) but there were also a few who looked like business travellers (and should know better). It would only take one offload for a regular traveller to get them to arrive five minutes earlier presumably?

Has anyone here ever actually been offloaded in a late boarding situation by Air NZ?
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: air new zealand
Paul Holmes was once denied boarding as the doors were closing. He was not happy and it became news for a day or so. I think passenger on-time boarding improved for the next few months after that.
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:09 pm

Thinking back to my domestic flights recently the door has normally been shut 5-10min before the listed departure time. And door open before arrival time. So the the flights I have been on are hitting their times.

They will know their last call times for hitting their schedule.
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
So now that I am flying JQ more often on my CHC-AKL-CHC hops to get QF status points (see previous posts) I get to sit in the very comfortable working seats at CHC near the jet boarding gates. Just observed a 9am Air NZ departure to AKL. The boarding proper would have finished at 0845, which was followed by at least 5 other "final calls", "your last opportunity to board", "the offload process has begun", names calls for pax etc.

Some people ran from the security gates, while some were just sitting near the gates nonchalantly waiting till their name was called a few times. Even at 0857 they were still giving one last passenger who they were paging the opportunity to board, this probably 10 minutes after they said the last call had been issued.

While I know that offloading is a pain as they have to find bags, do you think they should be stricter about the offload process?

If they actually enforced last call as say departure minus 10 would people actually show up on time. Looking at the latecomers they were a mix of families (who probably dont travel frequently) but there were also a few who looked like business travellers (and should know better). It would only take one offload for a regular traveller to get them to arrive five minutes earlier presumably?

Has anyone here ever actually been offloaded in a late boarding situation by Air NZ?
i don’t think the problem is helped by seemingly earlier boarding calls in the lounge - admittedly more internationally than domestic - it is quite common in recent times to have a call in the lounge that flight is boarding ready yet when you walk to the gate (often a fair way) you wait another 10 minutes for boarding to start. In my opinion this tends to make people more likely to not react to the first call and so probably doesn’t help.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by drajknox View Post

i don’t think the problem is helped by seemingly earlier boarding calls in the lounge - admittedly more internationally than domestic - it is quite common in recent times to have a call in the lounge that flight is boarding ready yet when you walk to the gate (often a fair way) you wait another 10 minutes for boarding to start. In my opinion this tends to make people more likely to not react to the first call and so probably doesn’t help.
This has become quite the pet peeve for me. On several instances I've left the lounge when told and arrived at the gate, only to find boarding would be delayed 30 minutes or so. I've learned not to leave the lounge when they say the plane is ready for boarding.
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I flew back SYD to WLG on Sunday night. Boarding call on the app and lounge was 45 mins out which surprised me (I suspect it was due to forecast poor weather at WLG after 11pm so they wanted to get away ASAP) .

Left the lounge about 5 mins after the boarding call and got to the gate to find no queues and nobody hanging around - yet boarded to find the plane only about half full.

For the next 20 mins were turning up in dribs and drabs with probably another 60-70 people or so who boarded after me. I really did wonder where everybody came from as the rush had left the lounge before me!
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Tbh I think most general travelers appreciate leniency over being strict. Most of my friends who aren't FFs will complain about how JQ shuts boarding and will not budge.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Tbh I think most general travelers appreciate leniency over being strict. Most of my friends who aren't FFs will complain about how JQ shuts boarding and will not budge.
Would be interesting to know the time NZ vs JQ makes final call? Does NZ make it earlier to get people to run & time to board Vs say final call much closer to door close time? And they actually both "shut boarding at the same time"?
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite; Qantas Platinum; China Southern Gold; Marriott PPE; Accor Gold
Interesting, I actually think they should offload more often. I know quite a few people who are frequent travellers who think its clever to board as late as possible....
Markhm and Bub001 like this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:39 am

I'm sure they do. As a general traveler though, the idea of missing your flight is pretty scary. Oftentimes it's a big expense for most people and you aren't as experienced at getting through security. Even though very few would be late/cut it fine, Air NZs leniency is a competitive advantage for them in the marketplace and legitimately a reason many general travelers prefer to fly with them.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
I'm sure they do. As a general traveler though, the idea of missing your flight is pretty scary. Oftentimes it's a big expense for most people and you aren't as experienced at getting through security. Even though very few would be late/cut it fine, Air NZs leniency is a competitive advantage for them in the marketplace and legitimately a reason many general travelers prefer to fly with them.
Can you provide the data backing this statement? I haven’t seen any surveys relating to leniency and airline preference by “general travellers” as a defined social cadre but you may be privy to it.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
NZ have had major OTP Issues in recent times though - and trying to eliminate late boarding is normally a way to minimise this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham View Post

Can you provide the data backing this statement? I haven’t seen any surveys relating to leniency and airline preference by “general travellers” as a defined social cadre but you may be privy to it.
I specifically said this is based on my experience with people I know. No this isn't something I have survey data to back up. We are casually discussing this on a forum. Do you have different anctedotal evidence from your non frequent flyer friends and family members? Feel free to share, I don't care if people disagree, I am just throwing my experiences into this mix.

Every time Jetstar comes up with my friends and family they will all talk about why they hate them, and one of the reasons that gets brought up is the boarding cut off. Its viewed as draconian by them. I know I used to view it that way. My whole perspective changed when I became a frequent flyer.
Old May 1, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
I specifically said this is based on my experience with people I know. No this isn't something I have survey data to back up. We are casually discussing this on a forum. Do you have different anctedotal evidence from your non frequent flyer friends and family members? Feel free to share, I don't care if people disagree, I am just throwing my experiences into this mix.

Every time Jetstar comes up with my friends and family they will all talk about why they hate them, and one of the reasons that gets brought up is the boarding cut off. Its viewed as draconian by them. I know I used to view it that way. My whole perspective changed when I became a frequent flyer.
I can honestly say that the boarding cut-off time on any airline has never come up in conversation with anyone. I’d encourage them to get a life if it did. Not sure how JQ is relevant to an NZ forum.
Old May 1, 19, 2:24 am

Programs: QF WP
I always thought a lot of this was an Auckland airport issue? I think the same calls are made for LATAM/QF/virgin Samoa. Never heard them in any other airport either

Search this Thread