Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Auckland Airport : So far behind Singapore's Changi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland Airport : So far behind Singapore's Changi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
As international airports go, AKL isn't too bad... its compact and easy to navigate.
Agreed, this is a glass-half-empty story by a determined author with preconceived POV. And there is little wisdom in comparing AKL to SIN... SIN is consistently rated the best airport on Earth and fulfills entirely different missions. Compare AKL to MEL, SEA, or LGW and you'll come away much happier.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:16 pm

Agreed. AKL is beautiful compared to MEL. I was in MEL recently and wondered if I was in Mumbai or something - horrible signage.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by curioustill
Agreed. AKL is beautiful compared to MEL. I was in MEL recently and wondered if I was in Mumbai or something - horrible signage.
.... and I have experienced queues in the mornings in MEL that have been just as bad or even worse than the pic of AKl.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ottiehund

.... and I have experienced queues in the mornings in MEL that have been just as bad or even worse than the pic of AKl.
I go to MEL regularly and almost always find it a better experience arriving there than at AKL. Leaving is not so good as my epassport photo fails to identify me on nearly every occasion yet works elsewhere fine. I think that the baggage collection area and final queueing at AKL when arriving could be greatly improved and is generally a poor experience.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
MEL and AKL are my two most frequently used airports--I'd pick AKL 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. MEL can't seem to sort themselves out to get bags out in anything approximating a reasonable time, typical wait is 45 minutes plus. Departure experience was more horrible in AKL briefly with the introduction of the new xray machines, but they have since been introduced in MEL so lose lose there. Staff and signage both miles better in AKL.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
AKL has improved massively since my first visit here from Canada in 1991. Comparing it to super-hubs like SIN or DXB or the new IST makes no sense at all. I would rather investments go into better public transport to AKL than installing a butterfly prison or ostensive "luxury" retailers. AKL continues to improve. That works for me.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.