Arriving IAh

Old Apr 10, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Arriving IAh

On arrival at IAH on Sunday 7th April all non US passport holders were held at CBP until all US passport holders / citizens were processed.

We were not able to use the self service terminals, but corralled in an area only to watch all US processed. Took over 1 hour, 4 counters open for US then down to 1 counter for others.

No heads up on this what so ever.

Any ideas ?
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
That's really poor. I had two recent international arrivals at IAH, both at similar times of day (one on NZ from AKL, one on UA from MEX) and both were by US standards remarkably easy and fast - for the NZ flight CBP probably took ~5 minutes; for UA it was more like 10, and both were friendly and unintrusive compared to how US arrivals can be. Baggage handling seemed pretty quick too. Combined with a trip a few years ago where we had a similarly good experience, I actually had IAH down as one of my preferred entry points to the US, along with SFO - maybe we've just been lucky?
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
Very unfortunate. IAs noted above, IAH is usually one of the better entry points because of lower international traffic and it's spread out well over the day (ie no big chunk of afternoon european arrivals like you'd normally see in the northeast). Must have been a staffing issue.
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: NZ Elite A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Maybe because of the Custom and Border surge to the Mexican Border leading to staff shortages?
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
Seems like a stretch. IAH to the border is probably a 5-6 hour drive. On top of that, while I've only driven across a handful of times and can't say for sure, the border agents and the airport agents seem like 2 completely different classifications of employee. I could be wrong though.

Search this Thread