domestic to international connection at AKL

Old Apr 10, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
domestic to international connection at AKL

Hi all,

Connecting DOM to INT at AKL all on NZ. Couple of questions:

1. Bags will be checked through, right?
2. What formalities? Passport check, security screening?
3. Is there of fast lane for Star Alliance Gold members for the above (SE100K on AC) (flying Y).

Thanks,

R&F

Last edited by run&fly; Apr 10, 19 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
1. Is this on a single ticket? if so you bags will get checked to final destination.
2. In AKL you will need to change terminals (10minute walk or free bus), then customs and security.
3. There is an express lane - you'll need to go via NZ's premium check-in in AKL to get an express land sticker.

If you're traveling on an e-Passport that is from a country able to use the SmartGate the express lane is really no much faster, if not slower since you need to collect a sticker.
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
If you're traveling on an e-Passport that is from a country able to use the SmartGate the express lane is really no much faster, if not slower since you need to collect a sticker.
Except the express lane does bypass you to the front of the security line after the e-gate.
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Thanks guys. Canadian passport, so should be good with SmartGate. I'll be checking in in WLG; do I get the sticker for express lane there or at check-in counter in AKL? or am I confused ;-)
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:29 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
1. Is this on a single ticket? if so you bags will get checked to final destination.
2. In AKL you will need to change terminals (10minute walk or free bus), then customs and security.
3. There is an express lane - you'll need to go via NZ's premium check-in in AKL to get an express land sticker.

They've stopped giving out stickers (apparently it was an expensive temp fix for which the airport was charging the airline); if connecting from a domestic flight, you now often need to have a new boarding pass which says "Express Lane" printed at one of the two counters in the Premium checkin area.

So unless it's a busy time of day, this now takes longer than just going through the regular e-gates and security.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by run&fly View Post
Thanks guys. Canadian passport, so should be good with SmartGate. I'll be checking in in WLG; do I get the sticker for express lane there or at check-in counter in AKL? or am I confused ;-)
All on the one ticket, right? If the domestic is on a separate ticket then NZ’s policy is to not to check bags through (even on NZ-NZ), so you’d need to collect on arrival at AKL domestic and check in at the premium counter at AKL international.

Otherwise, nothing special at WLG. If all on one ticket then there is a small ‘premium counter’ where you could check in and collect both boarding passes.

No special line at WLG for domestic security, and it can get quite busy during rush hour. There are 2 temp NZ lounges - one on the left side of the pier, and one at the far end (but not far away!!). The latter lounge was less crowded when I used it yesterday as most pax just seemed to enter the first temp lounge.

The lounge at AKL international can also get crowded, depending on the time of day.

Search this Thread