April 1 NZ1 LHR-LAX canceled

Old Apr 1, 19, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, Flying Blue/Platinum, Marriott/Platinum
April 1 NZ1 LHR-LAX canceled

NZ1 LHR LAX today (April 1) canceled. One of the navigation systems was obviously down, they were first attempting to request to fly without it, but was turned down by both Auckland and the U.S. authorities, according to the captain.

Crew finally timed out while waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Everyone then deplaned, re-entered the UK and was sent to the Radisson.

The whole process was painfully long and a bit chaotic, boarded the aircraft at 3:30pm, didn't make it to the hotel room until 9pm. There was a 1 hour wait on the aircraft after they decided to cancel, and then another one hour or so of waiting in the baggage claim area with little information/assistance from NZ...

Now the replacement flight is departing tomorrow at 1pm as NZ 6071, let's see what will happen...
Old Apr 1, 19, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E
thanks for sharing this with us, I can imagine the frustration - its the best decision to keep safe. Delays are inevitable just that no one wants to be affected. Hope all goes well
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:06 am

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
You certainly need all your navigation equipment working perfectly for a safe "brexit", although it confuses me how the UK people agreed what needed to be done.
Old Apr 2, 19, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, Flying Blue/Platinum, Marriott/Platinum
So NZ did a pretty good job this morning. They mobilized a lof of staff from their back office to assist on the ground both at the hotel and airport. Very orderly transport to T2 and there are a lot of NZ staff helping out with directions, and some even helping carry bags. Pretty amazing.

Now sitting at the LH lounge patiently waiting for the flight to board at 12:00ish.
Old Apr 2, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
I hope you had food vouchers and info on collecting your 600 Euros (EC261).
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes to both. Dinner and breakfast vouchers were provided at the hotel. NZ was also very proactive in providing printout on how to claim the EC261 compensation. All in all a good job in such situation I would say.

Search this Thread