Search

NZ metal but ticketed on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:44 pm
bsd
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
NZ metal but ticketed on UA

Planning an AKL-BOS journey in April - with the AKL-USA sectors in Business Premier

I have a choice of:

1 NZ ticketed AKL-ORD-BOS-IAH-AKL with 3 flights in NZ Business/UA Domestic first, and 1 in Economy from BOS to IAH - total cost $8800 approx
2 UA ticketed AKL-SFO-BOS-IAH-AKL with all 4 flights at the front of the plane - total cost $9080 approx.

My question - if I choose UA ticketing for this trip will I still earn status points at the 'NZ' rate (288 I believe) or will it come through as a much lower total - e.g. UA 'business' at around 130 points?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This text gives a good clue:

Beginning 1 July 2016, United entered the New Zealand market in co-operation with Air New Zealand with the launch of non-stop seasonal services between Auckland and San Francisco.

Earning Airpoints Dollars™ and Status Points between Auckland and San Francisco
As an Airpoints™ member, if you fly on either an Air New Zealand flight number (beginning with NZ) operated by United, or an Air New Zealand operated flight between Auckland and San Francisco, you will earn the same rate of Airpoints Dollars and Status Points. Please check the Air New Zealand tab at our earn rates look-up table.

Earning Airpoints Dollars™ or Status Points on United
When flying on a United operated flight with a United flight number, or on a United operated flight beyond Auckland-San Francisco, earn as per the Partner tab on our earn rates look-up table.
ref: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star-alliance-united

earn calculator: linked on this page https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/earning-on-flights
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Believe the rule is NZ metal will earn NZ rates even with non NZ flight number. The only exception is CX codeshare where CX flight number will earn partner rates.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Believe the rule is NZ metal will earn NZ rates even with non NZ flight number. The only exception is CX codeshare where CX flight number will earn partner rates.
That is correct.

In the case of NZ operated/UA marketed AKL-SFO v.v., you will earn APD/SP at the NZ rate. The SP also count towards the NZ-only portion for Elite qualification/re-qualification.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Bumping an old thread, but similar topic....a TA has quoted for DUD-AKL-ORD-AKL on NZ metal, but UA ticket/flight number, do Koru get lounge access at either DUD, AKL or ORD? I suspect the answer is no, but the website is a little ambiguous.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by brenrox
Bumping an old thread, but similar topic....a TA has quoted for DUD-AKL-ORD-AKL on NZ metal, but UA ticket/flight number, do Koru get lounge access at either DUD, AKL or ORD? I suspect the answer is no, but the website is a little ambiguous.
Has to be ticked on NZ for Koru to officially get access, I have done in the past on an LH ticket, but think that loop hole has now been closed...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Has to be ticked on NZ for Koru to officially get access, I have done in the past on an LH ticket, but think that loop hole has now been closed...
Cheers - TA called NZ and they confirmed that. Managed to snap a PE fare for only a few hundred extra (NZ ticketed), so that should solve the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.