Connection time in AKL - USA to AUS

Old Mar 31, 19, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Connection time in AKL - USA to AUS

Looking at a SFO-AKL-ADL flight in Sept. Has a 65 minute connection time in AKL and if I miss it, I need to go via SYD (ugh) or MEL to get to ADL as there is no other direct flight that day.

Is 65 min enough or should I just do the LAX-MEL-ADL flight? Miss my connection there and I can get on a new flight 2 hours later.

TIA - and I swear I looked for a thread on this !
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:16 pm

The minimum connection time is 55 minutes. 65 minutes should be enough time, but it'd probably help is you can get off the aircraft as quickly as possible (i.e. get a seat close to the exit door).
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 3:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by GFrye View Post
The minimum connection time is 55 minutes. 65 minutes should be enough time, but it'd probably help is you can get off the aircraft as quickly as possible (i.e. get a seat close to the exit door).
Totally do able - AKL is an pretty small airport. I just did AKL-SYD-HKG with an 60minute connection and had twenty minutes spare in SYD.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I've done LA to Melbourne via Auckland several times. More often than not I'm able to go from plane seat to plane seat in under 30 minutes. You shouldn't have a problem.
Old Apr 1, 19, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
yes doable (as others said) if running to schedule.

There is of course the risk incoming from SFO is delayed and connection to ADL is missed. There will be workarounds - but it sounds like you don't favour them.
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:30 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
Should be fine
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
All the Aussie widebody connections are timed for US arrivals and departures - depending on the route anywhere from 25-40% if the aircraft will be Aussie pax connecting to or from the US.

Search this Thread