Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ *E
I'm not sure how they can "enhance" the seat in any meaningful way while still keeping the exact same herringbone configuration (other than a change in fabric color, tray table etc)

The problem is they keep doing these band aid solutions (such as that BP refit in the 77Ws a year or so back with an identical seat) rather than moving forward

Compared to some of the competition, it's not really that competitive these days particularly for tall travelers (eg. Some Polaris rows on United have very generous leg room where I don't need to contort myself)
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Tag1987
So essentially the new business class seat just got pushed out another couple of years...
I don't think they can push it any further than the delivery of the new long haul aircraft. What they are doing now is realising that the current seats are losing competitiveness quickly and they can't wait for the new aircraft.

They really should have picked a new seat at least a couple of years back and when the new aircraft are delivered they can then "enhance" it again.
poopbunny and mmonster like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I don't think they can push it any further than the delivery of the new long haul aircraft. What they are doing now is realising that the current seats are losing competitiveness quickly and they can't wait for the new aircraft.

They really should have picked a new seat at least a couple of years back and when the new aircraft are delivered they can then "enhance" it again.
Absolutely- but my take from today was that potentially the 777-200 replacement has been delayed thereby further delaying the deployment of the new seat? May have misread/misunderstood...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tag1987

Absolutely- but my take from today was that potentially the 777-200 replacement has been delayed thereby further delaying the deployment of the new seat? May have misread/misunderstood...
yeah they have pushed the 772 replacement out. So I assume it has also pushed the announcement of the replacement as well?
Suppose that will give them a chance to see what comes out of Project Sunrise
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
higher walls? But that risks coffin feeling.
increase forward angle - but they lose space so that reduces seat number so cannot see that happening.
wider space ? Same

think sounds like just new leather! Current curve of walls couldn’t even accomodate bigger screens could they? Slightly better padding in up position?

Maybe I’ll be surprised

Sounds like smoke and mirrors pending a big upgrade in 4-5 years.

The package of food service is reasonable long haul - just quality and variety that is poor at times - again interesting to see what they have planned.

previously demonstrated meals on demand doesn’t work with staffing. Perhaps “book the chef” concept?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Top of climb
HKG retimed to a mid-morning departure from AKL (1020/1645) for an immediate turnround in HKG to fly back to AKL as the existing NZ80 schedule. I know the overnight flight was popular with a lot of people for onward Asia connections, so a shame that's going.

With the JV and CX's additional flight over New Zealand summer it would have been nice to see from their combined metal a morning, afternoon and overnight departure from AKL and an equivalent afternoon, overnight and morning departure from HKG. At the moment the lack of a morning departure from HKG makes it hard for CX to sell connecting traffic from Europe other than London and Paris, as all of those flights arrive into HKG early morning.
Real shame, i use this flight twice a year and the midnight departure is good, now there are two day-time flights (with CX flight day time also)
brucelee likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Radio news this morning mentioned air nz announcing a new Asian route today

Any ideas on this? Maybe Manila ?
I wish - they announced it before, but it was then suspended/cancelled. Anyone know why?

On my last two PR trips the planes have been less than 33% capacity - maybe the market is just not there despite there be way more Filipinos in NZ than Sth Koreans.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by bce1
increase forward angle - but they lose space so that reduces seat number so cannot see that happening.
wider space ? Same

think sounds like just new leather! Current curve of walls couldn’t even accomodate bigger screens could they? Slightly better padding in up position?

Maybe I’ll be surprised

The package of food service is reasonable long haul - just quality and variety that is poor at times - again interesting to see what they have planned.

previously demonstrated meals on demand doesn’t work with staffing. Perhaps “book the chef” concept?
I'd be happy with more storage...I can get over looking at peoples feet after I've had a few drinks (barely)...I can't get over the lack of places to put things.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:58 pm

wider space ? Same

A major change in the LOPA like adjusting the angle of the seats would require CAA re-certification, so I would be surprised if it was that. It has the smell of a soft refresh to the seat similar to what CX did with their F seat a few years back.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:50 pm

wider space ? Same

When NZ persisted with herringbone on 787, they ended up with less seats (1-1-1 config) compared to some airlines with staggered 1-2-1

Maybe I’ll be surprised

I was going to say lipstick on a pig.
It would be disappointing if we ended up with refreshed herringbone after all that investment in "Hangar 22".
BA had the worst lie-flat, but they have now upped their game.

Had NZ-OKI been accompanied with SQ's Book The Cook along with satays. It would make those flights less painful.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I wish - they announced it before, but it was then suspended/cancelled. Anyone know why?

On my last two PR trips the planes have been less than 33% capacity - maybe the market is just not there despite there be way more Filipinos in NZ than Sth Koreans.
Government issues around slots -
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by poopbunny
I was going to say lipstick on a pig.
It would be disappointing if we ended up with refreshed herringbone after all that investment in "Hangar 22".
BA had the worst lie-flat, but they have now upped their game.
Hanger 22 is targetting the next widebody and not going to see it in this refresh from what AUsBT got out of AirNZ
kiwiandrew and djsflynn like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:17 am

Wonder if they've already applied for a codeshare/joint venture agreement with Korean Airlines... they wouldn't want to have to go up against any competition would they...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by henrus
Wonder if they've already applied for a codeshare/joint venture agreement with Korean Airlines... they wouldn't want to have to go up against any competition would they...
Guessing it will be the same as the Taipei route where EVA sells NZ tickets to go up against China Airlines indirect competition and in Seoul Asiana will prob sell NZ tickets as competition to Korean.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by henrus
It'll be with OZ, not KE
jawnbc and mmonster like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.