Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:36 pm

Think there are two new seats going on in discussion?

Current design seat newly manufacturered, opposed to take seat out refurbish it, then put it back on the plane.
Vs
New design.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Hong kong

Originally Posted by Top of climb
HKG retimed to a mid-morning departure from AKL (1020/1645) for an immediate turnround in HKG to fly back to AKL as the existing NZ80 schedule. I know the overnight flight was popular with a lot of people for onward Asia connections, so a shame that's going.

With the JV and CX's additional flight over New Zealand summer it would have been nice to see from their combined metal a morning, afternoon and overnight departure from AKL and an equivalent afternoon, overnight and morning departure from HKG. At the moment the lack of a morning departure from HKG makes it hard for CX to sell connecting traffic from Europe other than London and Paris, as all of those flights arrive into HKG early morning.
I will miss the arrive in the morning
Get your work done
Return in the evening
(half price mtr too )
ps107 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Rebound
They are not getting new seats, new BP is 3 years away atleast
When I say "new seats" I mean new seats of the current design vs a refurb if the seats go swap them out.

The project voilet brand new BP seats with a new design aren't coming until 2023 with the 777 replacement.

​​​​​There are lots of things NZ do that make no sense.. Refitting the whole fleet with the same seats is one of them.
​​​​​
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've always been told one if the reasons NZ were so tied to the current VS seat was the price. Apparently they cost a fraction of the price of something like a Thomson seat.
Seems like a strange place to save money after spending $200m on a plane.
2 aisle for a 1-1-1 config (789) is poor use of space.
This cost seats and revenue.

The only reason I can think of are issues around a non-standard product.

RR Trent engine issues forcing NZ to sub planes made sure of that anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I've always been told one if the reasons NZ were so tied to the current VS seat was the price. Apparently they cost a fraction of the price of something like a Thomson seat.

Why they're refreshing the seats now with the same seats is a total mystery, especially when nobody can say what will be different. I've been asking quite a few people I know and nobody can actually provide any information.
It's something like NZ bought the lisence of the current seat from VS, improved it and then licensed it back to VS. Now VS has moved on from those seats, they have no reason to hang on to them anymore. It would be hard to imagine the decision around the delay of new seats hangs around making a few dollars from VS.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:12 pm

Could be wear & tear or competition factors are passing a quick refresh.

The new design was starting 2022 so most probably still needs regulator sign off, optimisation for mass & production efficiency. Maybe also needs to be put on the test rig to test people sitting on it, reclining, etc. So likely out just isn't ready.

As for an of the shelf product. Why introduce for a short time. Costs around certification on NZ registered aircraft, need staff training, etc.

Maybe when they did the 77W refresh they should have looked at things so to get better use out of the seat.

Also while the Trent issues drag on they will also have to optimise for minimum downtime. If get a new design may require less change as the supporting infrastructure needs changing as well. New wall panels, rerouting of power, AC, etc

Last edited by nzkarit; Apr 6, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
...a new design may require a lover change as the supporting infrastructure needs changing as well.
The mind boggles

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)
jawnbc and brenrox like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The interim 'refresh' smacks of being a marketing-led decision.. so that they can have something to say that they're doing and some superficial change in the meantime while awaiting more substantial changes with the new fleet. I just wonder whether they will fool anyone at all. Was on the 772 in biz a week ago and didn't think the materials seemed particularly tired. The visible wear and tear (which wasn't bad) was on the seat shell and I wonder whether they'd really be replacing those... seems a bit expensive for a short-lived change I would have thought.

Speaking of the new fleet (772 replacement) is that officially now 2023 rather than 2022? Personally I have my fingers crossed for A350s but my gut tells me they'll stay Boeing for long haul.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:13 am

Replacement was always the 2022 financial year so that still includes 2013.

I'll be incredibly surprised if it's not a combination of the new increased MTOW 787-10 and additional 787-9s. Move to A350 is just way too expensive from a fleet perspective.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD

I'll be incredibly surprised if it's not a combination of the new increased MTOW 787-10 and additional 787-9s. Move to A350 is just way too expensive from a fleet perspective.
Really comes down to who wants it more, Boeing or Airbus... and engines is another contract.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:59 am

Really comes down to who wants it more, Boeing or Airbus... and engines is another contract.
Already have 789 so. 7810 is an easy integration. Will be interesting to see how they do seniority as move pilots from 777 to 787.

Also depends we're they want to go for 773 replacement, if want a bigger plane for growth, 779 only option. So 7810 for 772 else they will have 789, A359 & 779. They only want two wide body families
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:16 am

I don't think NZ need the 777-9 it's simply too big.
​​​​​​
My pick is the -8 replacing the 77W, and while two 777s have been deferred for financial reasons, it may make sense because it'll allow them to opt for the -8 potentially which won't be ready until at least 2023 anyway.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
It will likely stay with Boeing. Airbus already know they have NZ with the short haul fleet and for NZ to switch over to long haul Airbus the cost would be huge - which Airbus would need to pay for I’m sure and it probably wouldn’t be worth it for Airbus when they’ll only get a few longhaul planes out of it and they know they already have shorthaul. Not much gain for a lot of work.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
It's a minor detail but surely FY2022 includes part of 2021 as well, not part of 2023?

Leaving that aside, is our current understanding that it's calendar year 2023 that we'll see the first of the 777 replacements?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.