Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Reward Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
So I can book a business seat on a flight beyond 10,000km on SQ for instance for 1,600 apd?

Really?
Theoretically but they can always tell you these seats are not available.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz
Has anyone had luck redeeming Airpoint Dollars online or offline on ANY SQ flights in 2019? They have been invisible online for the best part of the year as far as I know; same with LH F. Would love to burn AP$ for those again!

Gonna try riding an upper class virgin, and EY A380 apartment (which is not hard to get if you have the AAdvantage). Are they unicorns or actually bookable through Airpoints call centre?
Looks like SQ flights are back on the system. Searched United first then same dates on NZ. Saw business class and first class available with APD. I searched NZ site for SIN-AKL in March and SIN-JNB with SQ showing Y and J available 1 Dec when J wasn't showing on United. SWEET!
gambda and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I've found plenty of European SQ outbound, but none inbound for business in euro summer
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Rebound
I've found plenty of European SQ outbound, but none inbound for business in euro summer
SIN-FRA and FRA-SIN business on SQ available in June next summer. Just take a train or cheap flight to get to your actual destination from there.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: NZ
It seems like SQ flights have gone again - at least for the searches I am doing.

I was able to book SIN/AKL in F a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm looking to add DPS/SIN which was widely available a couple of days ago in J, but nothing since yesterday. Same for other SQ flights - I can't see any.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by minz56
It seems like SQ flights have gone again - at least for the searches I am doing.

I was able to book SIN/AKL in F a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm looking to add DPS/SIN which was widely available a couple of days ago in J, but nothing since yesterday. Same for other SQ flights - I can't see any.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Just searched SIN-DPS Jan - SQ available on United and Avianca economy & business but not NZ.

Maybe find your availability dates on 2 *A websites then call NZ and say the flights are available but your system is broken. Please book me on them and waive the call fee because the problem is on your end.
minz56 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Just searched SIN-DPS Jan - SQ available on United and Avianca economy & business but not NZ.

Maybe find your availability dates on 2 *A websites then call NZ and say the flights are available but your system is broken. Please book me on them and waive the call fee because the problem is on your end.
Unless it isnt a ‘problem’ but deliberate? I mean perhaps simply that NZ has less seats released to it from SQ than what other airlines apparently have for any number of ‘business’ reasons.

I am sure I have read elsewhere that just because program A shows award space of carrier X, doesn’t necessarily mean that program B will see the same award space on carrier X.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Anyone ever redeemed AKL-SFO on UA in J? How often (if it all) is there reward availability?
Which is the best/most accurate *G award availability chart?

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Unless it isnt a ‘problem’ but deliberate? I mean perhaps simply that NZ has less seats released to it from SQ than what other airlines apparently have for any number of ‘business’ reasons.

I am sure I have read elsewhere that just because program A shows award space of carrier X, doesn’t necessarily mean that program B will see the same award space on carrier X.
I didn't click into every date but we're talking about 2 months worth of flights, and it's only SIN-DPS. I clicked through a number of dates on NZ last night. I find it difficult to believe that SQ is blocking NZ specifically from that little route for that length of time while wide open on 2 other *A websites.

So I called NZ. The agent initially gave the 'availability differs' reason and 'its a busy time'. I told him that made no sense on this route for that length of time when available elsewhere. He looked a bit further. Said the website is not searching. It just says to call. He tried searching a different way I think Jan 10 or 12 that showed availability. I didn't ask him to search the whole month as I'm not flying. So there is availability but the website isn't searching/showing it. Should have asked him to tell IT to fix it but no mention of follow up.
@minz56 If you can find your SQ award date on another *A website like United +/- another eg expert flyer then I'd call NZ to book with fees waived. NB Answers may be agent dependent.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I didn't click into every date but we're talking about 2 months worth of flights, and it's only SIN-DPS. I clicked through a number of dates on NZ last night. I find it difficult to believe that SQ is blocking NZ specifically from that little route for that length of time while wide open on 2 other *A websites.

So I called NZ. The agent initially gave the 'availability differs' reason and 'its a busy time'. I told him that made no sense on this route for that length of time when available elsewhere. He looked a bit further. Said the website is not searching. It just says to call. He tried searching a different way I think Jan 10 or 12 that showed availability. I didn't ask him to search the whole month as I'm not flying. So there is availability but the website isn't searching/showing it. Should have asked him to tell IT to fix it but no mention of follow up.
@minz56 If you can find your SQ award date on another *A website like United +/- another eg expert flyer then I'd call NZ to book with fees waived. NB Answers may be agent dependent.
Thank you so much for your efforts @NZbutterfly!

I can't find any availability on SQ for any of the city pair combinations I have tried, so my belief is that there is a glitch in the system. I am in Bali at the moment so it would be a Skype call. I'll give it a little while to see if the problem gets resolved. There are alternatives.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Anyone ever redeemed AKL-SFO on UA in J? How often (if it all) is there reward availability?
Which is the best/most accurate *G award availability chart?

Thanks
I use United airlines website to search because it shows availability in the calendar view across 2 months. Still need to click individual days to check. United will show more availability to its own members though for their own flights as expected for any airline. Select 'one way' 'book with miles' and 'calendar shop'. On the calendar view you can select 'nonstop' only as well which is ideally what you want, but if not available then deselect so it will show you other routes. I have a united number as I signed up but can't remember if that's a requirement to use their award search. It's free anyway. Once I find my dates then go to my airlines website whose points I'll be using to check availability. It's true sometimes availability is not there for a particular airline. But I think this is the most efficient way of searching *A. There are some other sites but I'm too cheap to pay when this takes very little time at all. United just narrows down the dates you're going to search on your own airlines website for awards.

I don't mind Air NZs award search when it's working. It's easy to use and quick to load. Make sure you click to make it show you the whole week of dates. Greyed out dates not available and the bright white dates have availability.

Expert flyer is pretty good for awards. I think there's a free trial period. Can search a week at a time - use the '+/-3 days'.

Had a quick look through UAs website and 28 sept showing for United J nonstop SFO-AKL and 26 Nov Air NZ SFO-AKL. Otherwise economy available on a number of dates. Thats through until August. I don't know the patterns of availability release but I check now and then and sometimes you get some nice surprises.

Other alternatives are to search different airports/routes. Search long haul route first as that's the route you want in business and you may need to fly economy on the short haul eg United to Australia or Air Canada routes to NZ/Oz.

The only thing with Air NZ is you're charged per sector for partner awards. So the best deal would be nonstop SFO-AKL on UA but if it's not available you need to accept other routes with a longer travel time and potentially cost more APD if connecting. Or you can pay cash for shorthaul economy. Just check on whether bags check through on separate tickets or ensure enough time between flights for potential delays. For long layovers/transits I often consider heading into town so it's not the end of the world having a 6-7hr layover.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Thanks man, very useful! This is definitely something I have not really explored in the past. Tricky now with Kids as I go for the most direct route but with some planning on my solo trips there could be v. good savings.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
SQ award (un)availability

Something must be wrong, intentionally or technologically, with SQ award availability on Airpoints online.
There is just nothing again regardless of routes and class. This is disadvantaging Airpoints members (and probably advantaging Air NZ?) as now even Alaska Mileage Plan members can book SQ awards on their website (and at a better rate for some redemptions).

SQ is the second largest Star Alliance carrier in NZ after you-know-who, and serves the biggest three cities of NZ (can't think of anyone else other than NZ and QF). I really hope that Airpoints is not showing the award availability due to strictly IT errors.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I am currently Elite till I soft land to Gold in a couple of weeks. I am also A3 Gold so have the ability to search *A rewards on both programmes. The difference is ls night and day.
Looking into next year Auckland to Europe with AIRNZ I get nothing that shows. With A3 same months, dates just get heaps showing with most *A carriers out of Auckland including AIRNZ. The best value option is Singapore or Air China for 50000 A3 miles and Euro 22 in taxes for an economy fare oneway.
In a TT context searching using A3 account gives availability every day most months of the year to any main airport (incl Perth) in Aussie for 12500 A3 miles o/w Euro 20/30 taxes. The fare is the works basis.
From what I can see the AIRNZ *A booking tool in just useless by comparison,
Beano and Ellice like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ClanJ
I am currently Elite till I soft land to Gold in a couple of weeks. I am also A3 Gold so have the ability to search *A rewards on both programmes. The difference is ls night and day.
Looking into next year Auckland to Europe with AIRNZ I get nothing that shows. With A3 same months, dates just get heaps showing with most *A carriers out of Auckland including AIRNZ. The best value option is Singapore or Air China for 50000 A3 miles and Euro 22 in taxes for an economy fare oneway.
In a TT context searching using A3 account gives availability every day most months of the year to any main airport (incl Perth) in Aussie for 12500 A3 miles o/w Euro 20/30 taxes. The fare is the works basis.
From what I can see the AIRNZ *A booking tool in just useless by comparison,
The problem is the tool IMHO.

I found that if availability exists on a route with direct flights (eg AKL/SIN on SQ) then it will show that availability only and no other options. If there is no availability on a direct flight then it will show connection options (eg AKL/BKK/SIN on TG). The tool really should show both options in all cases.

Regarding your point re TT flights - I assume you are referring to Air NZ flights. The Partner tool won't show these as you book them using Airpoints through the normal booking tool.

Despite the limitations, I do hope that they get SQ availability restored as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.