Search

Wgtn Domestic Lounge Closure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Wgtn Domestic Lounge Closure

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/dome...ory#wellington

Wellington Domestic Lounge

The Air New Zealand Domestic lounge at Wellington Airport is closing on 26 March 2019 for construction for its comprehensive refurbishment.

During this time there are two temporary lounge facilities available for members to access. These are both located after proceeding through domestic aviation security screening: on level 1, directly after domestic Avsec screening and on level 0, after boarding gates 14 & 15.

The temporary lounge facilities will still feature the organic fair trade Hummingbird barista made coffee, however an adjusted menu will be offered, which includes some of the usual staple items.

There are no bathrooms in these temporary spaces, however the airport's bathroom facilities are available instead.

When complete, the Domestic lounge will provide 10% more seating, with six different zones to suit the needs of our members, including café, bar/barista, business and quiet areas and will be in the signature modern lounge design as seen in some of our other lounges like Tauranga, Hamilton and Dunedin.

Thank you for your patience and understanding whilst this refurbishment upgrade gets underway, we look forward to welcoming our members and their guest/s into the refreshed lounge when finished.

Last edited by nzkarit; Mar 24, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Details of current lounge to reference when it gets replaced on site after the upgrade to refer back to

Size

1248m2, seating for 352 guests.

Food & drink

Snack buffet, barista coffee and bar.

Business

Wi-Fi, business desk, photocopier, printer, and phone charging station.

Entertainment

Newspapers, magazines and TV.

Bathrooms

Toilets, shower, towels and hairdryers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
And there is still the regional lounge to consider using...

interesting it was not mentioned.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
And there is still the regional lounge to consider using...

interesting it was not mentioned.
I would bet they will turn the jet passengers away.....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Didn't state how long-ish for refurb?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I would bet they will turn the jet passengers away.....
Why do you think that? I have used the regional lounge before a jet flight with no issues. It was quieter....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Lounge refurbish

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Didn't state how long-ish for refurb?
December (they mentioned it to me during the weekend)
During this refurb the pop up lounge will have "takeaway koru happy meals" that you grab and go.
Ps .Alaska (who I have used before ) are doing the construction .
NZbutterfly likes this.

Last edited by Beano; Mar 25, 2019 at 11:37 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Details of current lounge to reference when it gets replaced on site after the upgrade to refer back to

Size

1248m2, seating for 352 guests.

Food & drink

Snack buffet, barista coffee and bar.

Business

Wi-Fi, business desk, photocopier, printer, and phone charging station.

Entertainment

Newspapers, magazines and TV.

Bathrooms

Toilets, shower, towels and hairdryers.

I know it is a personal hobby horse but don't forget the two small private rooms on the West side where you can make confidential phone calls without being overheard. If the pattern of other lounges is followed they will disappear and that is a sad loss. The business carrels don't cut it.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
10% more seating doesn't sound like it be much of an improvement
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by macdo
I know it is a personal hobby horse but don't forget the two small private rooms on the West side where you can make confidential phone calls without being overheard. If the pattern of other lounges is followed they will disappear and that is a sad loss. The business carrels don't cut it.
Isn't this what the showers in the AKL international lounge are for?!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Visited both temp lounges this morning. Very busy and felt like a very rushed setup. Ended up moving to the gate 14 'lounge' (literally a buffet table in the gate area) which had more room.

Let's just say it's going to be a long year. If you have the time, I'd recommend trying to head to the regional lounge.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yotty
Visited both temp lounges this morning. Very busy and felt like a very rushed setup. Ended up moving to the gate 14 'lounge' (literally a buffet table in the gate area) which had more room.

Let's just say it's going to be a long year. If you have the time, I'd recommend trying to head to the regional lounge.
Photos?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Why do you think that? I have used the regional lounge before a jet flight with no issues. It was quieter....
There is a big difference between the odd passenger using the regional lounge and then going through security for boarding, and many people. If that happens expect on-time performance to plummet.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Maybe when all the politicians leave town on Thursday night, some calls might be made afterwards to get some "enhancements" to the temp lounges. As another poster commented, only 10% extra seating sounds typical of New Zealand's (as a country) short-sightedness when developing infrastructure - building for yesterday, instead of the future.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is no real space available in the pier to expand the lounge footprint at present. That's hardly Air NZ's fault.

When that pier is ultimately extended to the south it will allow more lounge space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.