Wiki Posts
Search

SFO – Koru member lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
SFO – Koru member lounge access

Hi folks, anyone a Koru club member (only) who has flown out of SFO lately, any lounge access? I rung AirNZ recently whom advised me they only issue a ‘voucher’ for maybe a café or something in the terminal? Anyone know the valve amount of the voucher or where you can redeem it? Are there showers in the terminal?

I have a Priority Pass card but it’s for Air France which is in a different terminal.

TIA
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flysally
Hi folks, anyone a Koru club member (only) who has flown out of SFO lately, any lounge access? I rung AirNZ recently whom advised me they only issue a ‘voucher’ for maybe a café or something in the terminal? Anyone know the valve amount of the voucher or where you can redeem it? Are there showers in the terminal?

I have a Priority Pass card but it’s for Air France which is in a different terminal.

TIA
@flysally
Are you flying in Y economy?

I flew NZ SFO-AKL and they depart from the International Terminal.

Here are some links for you

First is an excellent interactive map of the International terminal. I've bought some really nice food and coffee etc at Napa Farms, past the Duty Free on your left. It's a bit expensive but the food is fresh. Better than fast food. I fly AC in and out of there (same terminal) and Napa markets was great to have before my flights.

https://www.flysfo.com/maps/interact...stination=1724

Here is the link to the Priority Pass page for AF/KL

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...e---klm-lounge

and a review and directions

https://onemileatatime.com/air-franc...ncisco-review/

Hope this helps
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: NZ *G

TIA
That's correct, no lounge for Koru-only. They give you a $25 voucher which you can use in all but one or two shops in the terminal (I think you were unable to use the voucher at Joe & the Juice). There's a good market - I think it's called Napa Farms - with sandwiches and loads of packaged whole food options. Unfortunately there aren't many nice places to sit near that, but you can take your food down toward the terrace at the end of the terminal.

Last time I flew through SFO I was both Star Gold and Koru, so they gave me the $25 voucher plus I visited the United Club, which has basic salad / pasta bar, soups, free house tap beer and wines - nothing amazing but it's comfy place to sit. So that was a pretty good deal.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

TIA
there is a shower - cant exactly recall where it is as did not end up using - was pretty pricey - US$25 I think
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:18 pm

I have no idea why Air NZ will happily pay for you to go to a United Lounge in most other places Air NZ flies, but not SFO. It's very bizarre. I believe this is the same for Elite Partners, which is arguably worse.

They will give you a US$25 voucher when checking in at the airport. If you are departing at night, good luck! You may find most of the stores will be closed. However, they all seem to accept the voucher. The food options are pretty terrible if you are looking for anything remotely healthy.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
Gosh thanks everyone, The Napa Farms place is open until 11pm and the food sounds very appetizing. My husband will be with me and they confirmed he'll get a voucher too.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Koru Club has its limitations. Saw a kiwi couple trying to access the THAI lounge in HKG (1 was KC, both in Y), but were being told no, just *G or biz (and first) pax could use. I assume they were on the NZ flight to AKL (but that wasn't clear). I didn't linger or intervene as I knew almost nothing about Airpoints...

Not sure what the actual rules for NZ were at that time, but the couple clearly thought KC access worked at any *A lounge...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Koru will get you into the Thai lounge at HKG with one guest.

Interestingly ORD has Koru access now to the SAS lounge since about early Feb. It didn't when the route launched.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I have no idea why Air NZ will happily pay for you to go to a United Lounge in most other places Air NZ flies, but not SFO. It's very bizarre. I believe this is the same for Elite Partners, which is arguably worse.

They will give you a US$25 voucher when checking in at the airport. If you are departing at night, good luck! You may find most of the stores will be closed. However, they all seem to accept the voucher. The food options are pretty terrible if you are looking for anything remotely healthy.
The SFO INTL UC is an absolute mess in the evenings, I'm picking they just don't have capacity.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Koru will get you into the Thai lounge at HKG with one guest.
So either a staff misunderstanding of policy, or they weren’t on the Air NZ flight.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 25, 2019 at 9:45 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sopwith7
.... There's a good market - I think it's called Napa Farms - with sandwiches and loads of packaged whole food options. Unfortunately there aren't many nice places to sit near that, but you can take your food down toward the terrace at the end of the terminal.

@sopwith7
I posted the Napa Farms location in my post above yours along with an interactive SFO terminal map

@jeffrocowboy
Showers are on the interactive map, seem to be behind the UA Polaris

@flysally

There are actually a lot of really nice table and chair seating in the terminal area and they've added some other tables that have charing stations and of course there is plenty of seating on the upper levels at each gate. I never go downstairs until absolutely necessary.

https://www.flysfo.com/maps/interact...stination=1724

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.