Any plans to restart VLI service?

Old Mar 18, 19, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, CX MPC Silver, AA Gold, CI Corporate Flyer, Marriott Platinum
Any plans to restart VLI service?

Does anybody know if NZ has any plans to re-open flights to VLI (Vanuatu) this year?

NZ ended flights to VLI in 2016 and suspended its partnership with Air Vanuatu due to runway conditions at the time. I understand runway repairs at Bauerfield are complete or nearly complete, and my wife and I would sure like to fly TPE-AKL-VLI later this year on NZ's 787 TPE-AKL flight. But I can't find any updated news about AKL-VLI.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Certainly hasn't been any mention either publicly or private that I've heard.
Old Mar 18, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I saw a good spot for a hotel reward redemption this year and was surprised when I looked up flights on NZ. They didn't exist! VA are flying out of Brisbane and Qantas selling tickets on Air Vanuatu. Air Vanuatu are flying out of Auckland.
Old Mar 19, 19, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, CX MPC Silver, AA Gold, CI Corporate Flyer, Marriott Platinum
That's unfortunate. Fortunately, we can get there via TPE-SIN-BNE on SQ then BNE-VLI on VA, which is perfectly acceptable.

We were just hoping to fly NZ both because my wife had such a nice TPE-AKL-TPE experience, and also because NZ credits to United MileagePlus at a much better rate than SQ.

Search this Thread