dumping seats Australia to USA

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

dumping seats Australia to USA

got an email this am, saying Air NZ selling seats east coast Australia to West Coast USA from AUD$729 all inclusive, July to September outside of Australia school holidays.

This must be a record low even for Air NZ. Checked few dates in August & there seems to be plenty of seats at this price. Didn't check kids fare, but it must be around $500.

Are they getting in 1st, as they can see a drop in spending on airfares ex Australia &/or are they getting in before the Australian federal election in May ?

Already consumer & business confidence in Australia has dropped dramatically, on predictions of Labor party winning, which will surely speed up the recession in Australia.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think the Aussie<>US market has too many flights. I bought US to MEL last month for $520 US, and a kids ticket for $380. Im flying to MEL as Im typing. AA, UA, DL and VA all had pretty cheap fares.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think the Aussie<>US market has too many flights. I bought US to MEL last month for $520 US, and a kids ticket for $380. Im flying to MEL as Im typing. AA, UA, DL and VA all had pretty cheap fares.
yes too many flights with current economy. USD$520 is about AUD$736.

Qantas is down to 8/week SYD/LAX but they now do SYD/SFO & SYD/DFW 6/week, all nonstop.

United has done SYD/SFO daily for years, as well as SYD/LAX.

AA does SYD/LAX daily.

Air NZ, now flies to LAX, SFO, HOU, ORD via AKL.

Fiji Air flies daily to LAX & up to 3-4 times a week to SFO all via NAN.

The FJ flights are codeshared with QF, AA & NZ.

MEL/LAX & MEL/SFO seem to have had the biggest increases recently.

Plus not forgetting all the HA flights ex BNE, SYD, MEL with domestic connections to many US cities on west coast, LAS & JFK.

Something has to give. Presume where an airline does more than daily, it might cut back to daily. There aren't a lot of long haul options, where airlines can switch to a smaller aircraft, with the posisble exception of Qantas switching some A380 servies to B787 services, but where do they then send the A380s ?

Qantas flies MEL/LAX 9 times a week, United daily, Virgin 6/week codeshared with DL.

Qantas MEL/SFO 4/week.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I rather enjoyed Ozflyer's political fantasies as a reason for the Air NZ specials; I note he's now come to his economic senses with his latest post
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
You're lucky you have more access to low fares than us.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
The Aussie Peso is now making leisure travellers seriously reconsider travel to the USA. There must be a lot of empty seats now. Fellow workers are now looking at Asia again as a holiday destination. Cheaper to holiday anywhere else but the USA right now.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
Something has to give. Presume where an airline does more than daily, it might cut back to daily. There aren't a lot of long haul options, where airlines can switch to a smaller aircraft, with the posisble exception of Qantas switching some A380 servies to B787 services, but where do they then send the A380s ?
China?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

[QUOTE=davistev;30899487]The Aussie Peso is now making leisure travellers seriously reconsider travel to the USA. There must be a lot of empty seats now. Fellow workers are now looking at Asia again as a holiday destination. Cheaper to holiday anywhere else but the USA right now.[/QUOTE

AUD$ vs USD$ is same as in September last year.
RTWFF likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.