Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Offering Flexibility for 737-MAX Partner Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

Hey everyone, just a quick note - I'm heading to Canada shortly and so checked my flights given that they haven't grounded the 737-MAX jets. Well, one of my Air Canada legs was on the plane. I contacted Air NZ and they told me that they are offering flexibility for rebooking those flights. I changed it to an earlier one on the A319. So if you see you're flying a MAX, don't be afraid to give the support team a call
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
They'd definitely grounded the Max 8/9's at the time of your post, but glad they're being flexible rather than just automatically rebooking you.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Oh I thought it was just the USA! Good to know, it was still showing MAX on my ticket.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The US was the last country to ground the MAX. Every other major country (incl Canada) had introduced a ban days before .
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The US was the last country to ground the MAX. Every other major country (incl Canada) had introduced a ban days before .
Canada only banned them yesterday morning, a few hours before the US.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Not days before, hours . AC were still flying yesterday. I took this screen shot ar 10:18am

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Not days before, hours . AC were still flying yesterday. I took this screen shot ar 10:18am

@Thai-Kiwi

If you read the AC forum, and multiple news media

1. Canada grounded the MAX hours before Trump did

2. Those AC flights were empty ferry flights back to Canadian airports and maintenance bases. The law did not permit pax on those flights and the flight numbers were not the originals from regular OPs (e.g.. flights starting with the number 7 and having 4 digits are the ferry flights)

See here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884095-post261.html

Last edited by 24left; Mar 14, 2019 at 1:00 pm Reason: Add info
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Hey everyone, just a quick note - I'm heading to Canada shortly and so checked my flights given that they haven't grounded the 737-MAX jets. Well, one of my Air Canada legs was on the plane. I contacted Air NZ and they told me that they are offering flexibility for rebooking those flights. I changed it to an earlier one on the A319. So if you see you're flying a MAX, don't be afraid to give the support team a call
@kiwifrequentflyer

In case anyone on an NZ-AC ticket is driving by this thread

1. As I noted above, AC grounded their MAX's well before the U.S. did and closed airspace to any MAX aircraft. The U.S. held out for reasons most of us understand.

2. On the AC website, there is a decent set of instructions if you are booked on one. If you are on a NZ ticket, I'll assume NZ is responsible for rebooking you. If you are on an AC ticket, good luck getting through. Apparently, even the website can't manage the changes, despite AC offering the opportunity to do so.

Instructions and Q&A here

Air Canada Responds to Transport Canada's Closure of Canadian Airspace to the Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft

March 13, 2019

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-closure.html

Hope this helps and safe travels.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

When I tried to find the flight I had been booked on with Kayak it had disappeared. I guess they are just removing the flights (or some) rather than switching aircraft. So I was actually on a phantom ticket anyway and would have been bumped to my new earlier flight!

Really glad I was booked with Air NZ and not AC I can only imagine how long the phone wait is...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Posted on AC FT

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

AC now has a different phone # posted on the website for those travelling within 72 hours.
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.