Connecting on a separate ticket - Check in?

Old Mar 5, 19, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Connecting on a separate ticket - Check in?

I am connecting ORD-AKL from another carrier through ORD, from what I probably won't be able to check in via mobile due to the visa issue. So, if I can't check in until I am in person, can I check in without having to exit since I will be airside already? Something like a transfer desk.
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
ORD (or anywhere in the US, as far as I know) doesn't have a "transfer desk" because in the US, everyone arriving internationally has to clear customs and immigration and ends up landside.

However, I suspect you might be arriving domestically. Is that correct? Probably in to T1-3?
Old Mar 6, 19, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpw81 View Post
ORD (or anywhere in the US, as far as I know) doesn't have a "transfer desk" because in the US, everyone arriving internationally has to clear customs and immigration and ends up landside.

However, I suspect you might be arriving domestically. Is that correct? Probably in to T1-3?
You are correct, I hate to exit terminal 3 and have to re pass through security at T5, I can take the airside bus to T5 which would eliminate security but not sure how to check in.
Old Mar 6, 19, 12:56 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

What "visa issue" are you referring to? I'm not an expert, but assuming you aren't going for business, US residents visiting for less than 3 months don't need a visa for New Zealand, Just an "outward" ticket. I would think you'd be able to check in via mobile or online.

Air NZ entry and transit website
Old Mar 6, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF G
I am a NZ passport holder who often flies back to NZ from the USA.
AirNZ will not let me check in online and I have to check in at the airport.
Old Mar 6, 19, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is still very confusing. If you are departing the US for NZ and are a NZ passport holder, what visa are you talking about?
Old Mar 6, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF G
Me? I am not talking about a visa.
I am commenting regarding the ability to check in online. Which is not available to me when departing the USA.
Sorry if that was not clear.
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpw81 View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

What "visa issue" are you referring to? I'm not an expert, but assuming you aren't going for business, US residents visiting for less than 3 months don't need a visa for New Zealand, Just an "outward" ticket. I would think you'd be able to check in via mobile or online.

Air NZ entry and transit website
we are traveling on to Australia which we need a visa for.
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chitink View Post

we are traveling on to Australia which we need a visa for.
Got it. I'm just trying to figure out what the "issue" is?

The poster above indicated he has issues using online/mobile checkin when returning from the US. But he's a NZ national and not going to Australia, so he doesn't need a visa and that clearly isn't an issue.

I know of airlines doing doc checks for intl flights to confirm you have the necessary documents to board, but in this case your visa is electronic, so you don't have anything to show them, right? I'm usually allowed to checkin for international flights and obtain a BP on most airlines but I'll have to stop by the lounge or the gate desk to confirm I have my passport and get something like a "DOCS OK" stamp on my BP.

Is there a widespread issue on Air NZ of people not being able to check in online/mobile when flying from XXX-AKL-Australia? Or any other international flight?
Old Mar 6, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
If youíre on 2 separate tickets, wonít you have to go landslide to check in on the second ticket if you canít do it online? Or are you asking if you can just go to your departure gate and check in with the agent there?

If you have checked bags it seems like you would have to claim them and then re-check - so you must be traveling with carry-on only?
Old Mar 7, 19, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
If youíre on 2 separate tickets, wonít you have to go landslide to check in on the second ticket if you canít do it online? Or are you asking if you can just go to your departure gate and check in with the agent there?

If you have checked bags it seems like you would have to claim them and then re-check - so you must be traveling with carry-on only?
I never check bags, too much hassle so yes Carry-on only. I will be arriving in T3 and could use the airside bus to T5 so I don't have to exit the terminal and re go through security at T5. Just wondering what I can do if I can't check in electronically, can I go to the gate and check in?
Old Mar 7, 19, 9:19 am

As a data point, I've always had to show a valid T5 BP for the airside bus to T5.

Lots of other data points in the AA and UA forums as people are always trying to get to T5 to use the poor excuses for lounges, for some reason.

Another side point worth making here if you aren't able to to do airside transfer is that Air NZ does NOT participate in Pre-Check and even if they did, Pre-Check at ORD T5 isn't real Pre-Check, you just get a special line (assuming it's even open) and then they funnel you back into the herd with everyone else after they check your ID.

Search this Thread