FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Earliest check in at LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1958588-earliest-check-lax.html)

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 11:12 am

Earliest check in at LAX

Hey everyone. Quick question. What is the earliest you have ever been able to check in for a flight at LAX? My flight isn't until 9:25pm but I see the LHR flight is at 4pm. The counters will be open - could I check in for my earlier flight in the afternoon then? Cheers.

sbiddle Feb 28, 2019 11:44 am

1310 when check-in for NZ2 opens.

I have however heard anecdotal reports in the past that they may not do this for non HVC pax.

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 12:01 pm

I know my acronyms... But I don't know what HVC means, sorry!

Hmmm. I might give it a chance. I don't have a lot to lose if they say no.

sbiddle Feb 28, 2019 12:05 pm

High Value Customer - BP, PE, *G or Koru.

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Ah. Well, I am elite and I am BP... So fingers crossed that's enough :)

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Update: success! Arrived at 1pm for my 9:25pm flight. Walked down the priority check in line, and I immediately asked if check in was possible. It was and that was before they even knew about BP.

sbiddle Feb 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Out of curiosity why get there so early? If you are on a connecting flight on a different PNR you could have just interlined bags if it was any of the major airlines and then just given NZ your bag tag #

WLGNZ Feb 28, 2019 3:02 pm

Coming in from East Coast in winter I have often take long connections like this now to make sure I get back to NZ.
I have missed flights back a couple of times due to delays out of the East coast.

samyoull Feb 28, 2019 4:32 pm

The *A LAX lounge is good, but not THAT good.

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30832910)
Out of curiosity why get there so early? If you are on a connecting flight on a different PNR you could have just interlined bags if it was any of the major airlines and then just given NZ your bag tag #

I was in the USA for business. I planned to spend my final day doing fun things, but last night realized I was getting a reasonably bad cold. I checked out of my hotel, and tried to muster the energy to sightsee, but couldn't do it! Moving was hard, haha. I figured the best place to relax and do nothing in would be the Star Alliance lounge. No regrets coming here, but it was a special situation.

samyoull Feb 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30833232)
I was in the USA for business. I planned to spend my final day doing fun things, but last night realized I was getting a reasonably bad cold. I checked out of my hotel, and tried to muster the energy to sightsee, but couldn't do it! Moving was hard, haha. I figured the best place to relax and do nothing in would be the Star Alliance lounge. No regrets coming here, but it was a special situation.

If you're up to it - seeing as you're flying J, walk down to T7 for dinner at the Polaris lounge - it's a bit of a maze to get there but the food's better than the noodle bar at the *A lounge in TBIT, and the scotch might even help your cold! :D

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull (Post 30833242)
If you're up to it - seeing as you're flying J, walk down to T7 for dinner at the Polaris lounge - it's a bit of a maze to get there but the food's better than the noodle bar at the *A lounge in TBIT, and the scotch might even help your cold! :D

That's actually not a bad idea! I've always wanted to see inside a Polaris and now is a good opportunity - thank you.

sbiddle Feb 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30833232)

I was in a similar situation last year with a friend who was sick with a cold after CES. Had an early morning separate UA flight from LAS to LAX where we interlined bags through to NZ2.

After lunch he was over seeing any sightseeing so we headed along about 2pm and checked in and got the UA bag tags linked and headed to the lounge for the rest of the afternoon.

Time went surprisingly quickly drinking and eating for 5ish hours! 😀

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2019 5:11 pm

I try not to drink because of the calories. But there is so much nice alcohol in here it makes it hard to resist. They are advertising a flight of beer at the bar. Hnnnggg.

I got up to check out the Polaris lounge... but my body said nope. I have made that walk multiple times. Its quite the walk indeed. Will have to visit it another day :(