Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL-LHR on NZ best options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by freemark

Cheers, some good options from AMS-MEL PE with SQ as you say. WLG is home destination so could try and tie that in with the shiny & new 772 they bring here
Anyone here flown PE on SQ A350 & can comment on comparison with any NZ PE?
SQ +: A350 higher humidity and pressure is always a positive.
Book the Cook improves your catering options if available on the route, although quality varies considerably.
Usual good entertainment system.
Seats well designed for storage

SQ - : Less legroom than NZ (38" pitch compared to 42)
Shared bathrooms with economy
Overall service much closer to economy than NZ

I'd pick NZ over SQ in PE, partly because of the opportunity to upgrade on NZ, but more because it simply has more room and I find the seats more comfortable to sleep in, but SQ PE is fine.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:33 am

Another option is to book Airnz to Frankfurt, via HK or Singapore (thus avoiding the USA) , this will give you a nice A380 on Lufthansa on last leg. Have a couple days in FRA then Easyjet or similar to London separately.
Prices can start around 1800 - 2200 so good value on this route.
The NZ to LHR is premium priced due to demand so flying to Europe is cheaper often.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by libertyuk
SQ +: A350 higher humidity and pressure is always a positive.
Book the Cook improves your catering options if available on the route, although quality varies considerably.
Usual good entertainment system.
Seats well designed for storage

SQ - : Less legroom than NZ (38" pitch compared to 42)
Shared bathrooms with economy
Overall service much closer to economy than NZ

I'd pick NZ over SQ in PE, partly because of the opportunity to upgrade on NZ, but more because it simply has more room and I find the seats more comfortable to sleep in, but SQ PE is fine.
So I got PE fares AMS - AKL with SQ to SIN then NZ to AKL. 25hr travel time so good option, 1100 Euros (on NZ ticket with reasonable APD & SP earn)
Total $NZ spend circa $2600 WGTN-LHR (Y) AMS-AKL (PE), with RU’s lodged for AKL-LAX & may bid OneUp LAX-LHR ($550 min currently)
Tried to get on the SQ back to WGTN but it appears no PE on that old piece of junk. Unfortunately LH no PE either as that would have given some reasonable options. So another $69 AKL-WGTN, $150 London to AMS by train (then $650 for 18 days rental car VW Golf back to GER/AUS/SWITZ)
I think we did ok, happily there is EUR400 or so left in the travel pot for a very fun day at Nurburgring 😀
AMS Lounge options not great, but SIN looks better.
Thanks for assistance folks.

Last edited by freemark; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:25 pm Reason: Text
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by mpw81
2002 would have been peak "security." Probably more likely pre-2001.
Yes, looking back it was post 9/11, security seemed way less full-on but obviously it wasn’t.

Just found another old paper ticket from my first Europe trip in 1998. AKL-MAD then LHR-AKL with QF in Y was $2462 - booked via a TA friend & apparently best prices out there.
Times & prices have changed for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.