Search

AKL-LHR on NZ best options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
AKL-LHR on NZ best options

Gidday
Planning a trip in May/June, probably via LAX.
I’m *G so don’t mind a few hours sampling longes there, one flight option gives us about 4 hrs. What is the terminal/security:time situation for this?
Will also want to upgrade Y- PE one or both legs with OneUp or RU’s - any advice on days:times which have more availability for this?
Also any good options for a return (pretty much any Euro airport) on Star Alliance with NZ earn?
Cheers
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I always prefer a Nz6 to NZ2 or 1 to 5 connection, simply because it gives time for a shower and some fresh LA air.

If you have bags you will need to collect them and drop at the connection bag drop.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by freemark
Gidday
Planning a trip in May/June, probably via LAX.
I’m *G so don’t mind a few hours sampling longes there,
Lounges? I thought there was only the one lounge which is the *A lounge. Sure there is the air side connection to the UA lounges but not sure they are worth the walk.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Don't even think about going into a lounge other than the one at TBIT
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Lounges? I thought there was only the one lounge which is the *A lounge. Sure there is the air side connection to the UA lounges but not sure they are worth the walk.
A walk for the Polaris may be worth it for BP pax but IMHO it's pretty hard to beat sitting outside on a nice afternoon or evening at the *A lounge.
libertyuk and SFO777 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
When booking oneway I generally look at flights out of Milan, Amsterdam, Munich or Frankfurt. Have just booked a PE with Singapore Munich/Auckland 6 day stopover Singapore for $2100 NZD . Last year got Milan/Auckland Business on Thai $2300 NZD which included a 7 day stopover. On a consistant basis have found that Milan gives the best price point if flexible on dates.
Ellice likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Yes, *Lounge looks good.
No tips from from you Flytalkers on other ?’s?
Prices still good around mid-May one way (Y&PE) even after the last big sale, could be good indication of loads I guess.
What would be a good strategy for upgrade, RU vs OneUp? Don’t see many posts on either on these legs.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:58 am

There isn't much to say about OneUp's.

There would be no reason to ever bid via OneUp if you have RUs available, or if you don't have OneUp's can access APD upgrades from an Elite.

Availability of upgrades comes down to luck so there is very little else to say in the topic.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:35 am

Yes, *Lounge looks good.
No tips from from you Flytalkers on other ?’s?
What lounges are you wanting suggestions on? As people have said there isn't really other options. Unless in business and want to hike down to the UA Porlaris lounge via the airside bridge and tunnels
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Very generally your chances of upgrades are better on mid-week flights than on Fridays or Saturdays, and you can't really know availability until a week or so beforehand because you can't anticipate bookings too far out. Scandinavia typically is cheap for business class and not bad for premium economy to Australia/NZ usually on SQ (sometimes SK codeshare), as long as you are flexible about where you fly to (Sydney and Auckland are harder to get compared to Melbourne or Adelaide, but depends how much you're willing to pay to get from there to your final destination). In Y if you want to earn and have a chance at upgrades, just stick to NZ via LHR.
Ellice and Diver Boy like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Very generally your chances of upgrades are better on mid-week flights than on Fridays or Saturdays, and you can't really know availability until a week or so beforehand because you can't anticipate bookings too far out. Scandinavia typically is cheap for business class and not bad for premium economy to Australia/NZ usually on SQ (sometimes SK codeshare), as long as you are flexible about where you fly to (Sydney and Auckland are harder to get compared to Melbourne or Adelaide, but depends how much you're willing to pay to get from there to your final destination). In Y if you want to earn and have a chance at upgrades, just stick to NZ via LHR.
Cheers, some good options from AMS-MEL PE with SQ as you say. WLG is home destination so could try and tie that in with the shiny & new 772 they bring here
Anyone here flown PE on SQ A350 & can comment on comparison with any NZ PE?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
There isn't much to say about OneUp's.

There would be no reason to ever bid via OneUp if you have RUs available, or if you don't have OneUp's can access APD upgrades from an Elite.

Availability of upgrades comes down to luck so there is very little else to say in the topic.
Thanks Steve. Yes, probably best bang for RU buck these legs. Pretty reasonable Y fare at under $900 has a decent SP earn as well.

Accessing APD Upgrades would involve an Elite friend/family member having me on gifting register or is it more simple?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

As an aside...
Was only at LAX twice - inbound from LHR in Y on a near empty NZ 74(?) after a work trip to Denmark/Germany/UK - an hour after an El Al checkin agent was shot. Outbound after a Hunter S Thompson - esque 4 days in LA/Hollywood. Got an OpUp to the old Business Class by agreeing to a 2 or 3 hour delay for next flight. As I recall NZ had own lounge there then- pre Star Alliance days maybe?
Those were the days.. 2002 or something I guess.
Little security, paper tickets...
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes NZ had their own lounge when they were in T2.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights

Those were the days.. 2002 or something I guess.
Little security, paper tickets...
2002 would have been peak "security." Probably more likely pre-2001.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.