NZ getting competition on YVR-AKL-YVR

Old Feb 26, 19, 12:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond
Posts: 5,413
NZ getting competition on YVR-AKL-YVR

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-auckland-flight/

Will be interested to see how NZ responds to this.
Pricing?
Better FFP for non NZ residents?
taupo is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 995
Is only in the southern summer season. So will be good for Kiwis wanting a snowboard or ski fix.
nzkarit is online now  
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,352
Originally Posted by taupo View Post
Will be interested to see how NZ responds to this.
Pricing?
Better FFP for non NZ residents?
Probably will respond by applying for JV protection with AC. That seems to be what they do on any route they face competition.
Top of climb is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 3:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by taupo View Post
https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-auckland-flight/

Will be interested to see how NZ responds to this.
Pricing?
Better FFP for non NZ residents?
AC's FFP (and planes) aren't anything to write home about.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
samyoull is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auckland NZ
Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
Posts: 596
Air Canada going head-to-head with NZ YVR AKL?

Reports that AC will start seasonal non-stop service between YVR and AKL on 12 December. Initially a 4x week seasonal service. Competition! Hurrah! Hard and soft product on NZ are both superior, but ending the monopoly on direct to Canada service would be awesome. Now they need to align times to EWR to offer that routing entirely on AC metal. As an ex-pat hoser I am rather excited!!!
kiwiandrew likes this.
jawnbc is offline  
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Given they're both Star Alliance, maybe it is more in the realm of how Singapore Airlines flies to Singapore type competition haha
KiwiMarmion is online now  
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Posts: 213
would be great to connect to EWR!
JANZFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,481
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion View Post
Given they're both Star Alliance, maybe it is more in the realm of how Singapore Airlines flies to Singapore type competition haha
Would not surprise me at all if the JV application is already submitted..
nancypants and samyoull like this.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
would be great to connect to EWR!
Far better via ORD/IAH on NZ - AC is as bad, maybe worse than UA on transborder routes.
samyoull is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:36 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,352
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
Probably will respond by applying for JV protection with AC. That seems to be what they do on any route they face competition.
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion View Post
Given they're both Star Alliance, maybe it is more in the realm of how Singapore Airlines flies to Singapore type competition haha
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Would not surprise me at all if the JV application is already submitted..
Called it.

"Air Canada has also finalised a Memorandum of Understanding with Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand, which will see the airlines co-operating in the form of joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12208003

Last edited by Top of climb; Feb 27, 19 at 6:27 pm Reason: Wrong link
Top of climb is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,623
So will NZ start up an new 3x weekly Canada route? with the free'd up aircraft slots?
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:14 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
So will NZ start up an new 3x weekly Canada route? with the free'd up aircraft slots?
This isn't changing anything about NZ's existing YVR service AFAIK.
samyoull is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 2:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,481
Originally Posted by samyoull View Post
This isn't changing anything about NZ's existing YVR service AFAIK.
... At present.

There are very few reasons to have a JV if it's simply adding lots of extra seats onto the route. It wouldn't surprise me to see NZ move back from 7x weekly over the winter period and maybe revert to 5x weekly, remembering they don't fly 7x weekly all year round.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 4:19 pm
  #14  
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wellington NZ
Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,263
MoU Air Canada & Air New Zealand

Air Canada has also finalised a Memorandum of Understanding with Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand, which will see the airlines co-operating in the form of joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals.
NZ Herald
WLG Base is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 4:53 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
... At present.

There are very few reasons to have a JV if it's simply adding lots of extra seats onto the route. It wouldn't surprise me to see NZ move back from 7x weekly over the winter period and maybe revert to 5x weekly, remembering they don't fly 7x weekly all year round.
Right, but the previous poster was asking what NZ will do with the extra capacity - we can speculate all we want but this announcement is about AC and at the moment NZ haven't announced anything on their side.

That said, I don't see NZ going anywhere else in Canada for the foreseeable future - I think we'll see NYC before anything else. ORD is a good enough connecting point for YWG, YYZ, YUL and points east, and I don't think there's enough demand for YYC direct service.
samyoull is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread