Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ getting competition on YVR-AKL-YVR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Wouldn't be much of a benefit extending from LAX or SFO to YYC...but YYZ might work. Mmmmmaybe YUL. Yes AC is on that market already, but both are strong revenue sectors and NZ's PE and J products might be popular on the transborder segment.

Originally Posted by samyoull
Right, but the previous poster was asking what NZ will do with the extra capacity - we can speculate all we want but this announcement is about AC and at the moment NZ haven't announced anything on their side.

That said, I don't see NZ going anywhere else in Canada for the foreseeable future - I think we'll see NYC before anything else. ORD is a good enough connecting point for YWG, YYZ, YUL and points east, and I don't think there's enough demand for YYC direct service.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I too don't see any real need for NZ to add any more North American routes other than EWR when they eventually have a capable aircraft.

It seems almost certain Seoul will happen later this year as a JV with Asiana on the route.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I too don't see any real need for NZ to add any more North American routes other than EWR when they eventually have a capable aircraft.

It seems almost certain Seoul will happen later this year as a JV with Asiana on the route.
Do any of planes currently have enough ground time in NA to do a another hop somewhere? Or would it required rescheduling which means they couldn't do TT run before or after. QANTAS has a long dwell time in LAX so the BNE 787 can go to JFK and the A380 can do "overnight" (but during the day) maintenance in the QANTAS hanger at LAX.

And airlines can't pick up domestic pax for the second leg. QANTAS has three flights feeding LAX to fill the 789 to JFK. Though they can pick up domestic cargo. NZ doesn't have enough international flights into LAX to do a hop.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Do any of planes currently have enough ground time in NA to do a another hop somewhere? Or would it required rescheduling which means they couldn't do TT run before or after. QANTAS has a long dwell time in LAX so the BNE 787 can go to JFK and the A380 can do "overnight" (but during the day) maintenance in the QANTAS hanger at LAX.

And airlines can't pick up domestic pax for the second leg. QANTAS has three flights feeding LAX to fill the 789 to JFK. Though they can pick up domestic cargo. NZ doesn't have enough international flights into LAX to do a hop.
NZ6 (LAX) and NZ8 (SFO) arrive before lunch and don't leave until mid evening.

IAH and YVR both spend less time on the ground, and ORD is only a few hours for the turnaround.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Reports that AC will start seasonal non-stop service between YVR and AKL on 12 December. Initially a 4x week seasonal service. Competition! Hurrah! Hard and soft product on NZ are both superior, but ending the monopoly on direct to Canada service would be awesome. Now they need to align times to EWR to offer that routing entirely on AC metal. As an ex-pat hoser I am rather excited!!!
They're aligned - Dreamliner all the way. Bookable with AC but not NZ yet.

AKL-YVR 1440 - 0640
YVR-EWR 0845 - 1648

EWR-YVR 1820 - 2115
YVR-AKL 2345 - 1105+2

Good timing for hotel check-in.
Bookable with APD in economy. Apparently there were business seats but I couldn't find any. Hopefully they'll open more seats closer the time.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Though note that YVR doesn't offer clean international transit between US and international, so there is the extra step of having to clear CBSA inspection in YVR on the return leg. Flying domestically in the US is not always a pleasant experience, but at least you would only need to clear TSA once in New York and not have to encounter any checkpoint after that until you arrive in New Zealand.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hard and soft product on NZ are both superior, but ending the monopoly on direct to Canada service would be awesome. Now they need to align times to EWR to offer that routing entirely on AC metal. As an ex-pat hoser I am rather excited!!!
Soft product, yes. But I think most would rate AC's Dreamliner hard product to be superior - reverse herringbones, a full generation more modern than NZ's old-school herringbones. And all the way to EWR on a dreamliner with a reasonable transit in YVR and no US customs on arrival in NYC is a reasonably sweet deal.

I believe AC is currently the fastest option from SYD-NYC based on total travel time, too - really not a bad option for *A loyalists.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Does AC have a mattress pad? I assumed not. I have been wrong before.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Soft product, yes. But I think most would rate AC's Dreamliner hard product to be superior - reverse herringbones, a full generation more modern than NZ's old-school herringbones. And all the way to EWR on a dreamliner with a reasonable transit in YVR and no US customs on arrival in NYC is a reasonably sweet deal.

I believe AC is currently the fastest option from SYD-NYC based on total travel time, too - really not a bad option for *A loyalists.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Does AC have a mattress pad? I assumed not. I have been wrong before.
I don't know - and quite possibly not. Indeed it's likely that for sleep comfort, NZ's BP product is more comfortable - certainly it's the most comfortable business class bed I know of. But in my view (and that of most people I know), as an overall hard product it's outclassed by the better reverse herringbones and other leading business class designs (Apex Suite; the best of the staggered products like QF Business Studio).

Of course if you're using the term "soft product" very literally, then AirNZ would likely win
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly

AKL-YVR 1440 - 0640
YVR-EWR 0845 - 1648

EWR-YVR 1820 - 2115
YVR-AKL 2345 - 1105+2

Good timing for hotel check-in.
Bookable with APD in economy. Apparently there were business seats but I couldn't find any. Hopefully they'll open more seats closer the time.
That's awful timing to land at EWR if you're NYC bound, you burn half a day in AKL, and land in time for rush hour traffic. Far better just to fly AKL-IAH/ORD-LGA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by samyoull
That's awful timing to land at EWR if you're NYC bound, you burn half a day in AKL, and land in time for rush hour traffic. Far better just to fly AKL-IAH/ORD-LGA.
You'd be arriving reasonably late at your hotel if routing via IAH/ORD. I'd rather arrive a bit earlier. My expectations of transport there have been suitably lowered already.
In saying that I think I'd prefer NZ for the long haul so I'd need to look at the combinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.