Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible UA ground service ex-NZ 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Glad that your ticketing carrier was able to find space for you, but you may be absolutely assured that UA was never going to provide for your hotel.
Spoke too soon?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Spoke too soon?
*A does have a special privion for long haul premium cabin / gold pax in weather disrupt. UA often choses to ignore it. But it doesn’t mean it should

Also in this part of the world, NZ and QF are in the habit to provide hotels to all overnight disrupt pax irrespective of cause. QF even does it for domestic weather cancels most of the times, not sure about NZ domestically.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by findark
Yes -- Star Alliance policy is that premium cabin pax and *G are entitled to hotels for overnight delays on international itineraries (regardless of cause). SFO has weather problems whenever ceilings are low and/or winds force a cross pair of runways out of use. They can't do parallel approaches except under VFR so it cuts the acceptance rate below the schedule and causes havoc whenever it's foggy in San Francisco

That's too bad about the agents.. I've seen a lot of stories about bad apples in SFO but never had many problems myself.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
*A handbook is good reading for those who have never seen it before https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/..._2017-2018.pdf
Page number 152 under irregular operations handling g

Uncontrollable- - need to provide amenities to everyone
Controllable - provide to premium customers (first/business/*G) traveling with an intercontinental journey, including delays on domestic leg if it's part of the intercontinental journey

Amenities- food after2hr delay, hotel for 8 hr or overnight, ground transportation to hotel or back home

The "transportation home" might be useful, wonder if anyone managed to get that request? Doubt most Frontline employees would know about the full *A policy

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 26, 2019 at 7:07 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
NZ was being nice and there is no requirement of airlines to provide anything for weather issues.
Except if it is an EU airline, flying to the EU - or any carrier departing from an EU airport.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb

QF even does it for domestic weather cancels most of the times, not sure about NZ domestically.
No they do not, but weather disrupts seem way more frequent in NZ than in AUS. Exception being if you are already in the middle of a multi sector journey/leg. So if you are disrupted before your outbound or inbound leg commences you get nothing. If you’re disrupted during a connection then you might get luckier. Eg AKL-IVC requires a stopover in CHC a delay at AKL or IVC gets nothing due to weather but if you were in transit at CHC and something happened then you would.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Except if it is an EU airline, flying to the EU - or any carrier departing from an EU airport.
EU compensation does not apply to delays or cancellations caused by bad weather.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Also in this part of the world, NZ and QF are in the habit to provide hotels to all overnight disrupt pax irrespective of cause. QF even does it for domestic weather cancels most of the times, not sure about NZ domestically.
Different to @Tag1987 experience I have been provided hotel by NZ overnight due to domestic disrupt due to weather. AKL-somewhere regional, last flight of day cancelled due to fog. Re-booked onto first flight the next day, all pax put up in hotels, *G offered "better" hotel but I declined due to that hotel being in downtown AKL vs the "normal" hotel being close to airport. Not sure if this is "normal" and was a little while ago (2016).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Different to @Tag1987 experience I have been provided hotel by NZ overnight due to domestic disrupt due to weather. AKL-somewhere regional, last flight of day cancelled due to fog. Re-booked onto first flight the next day, all pax put up in hotels, *G offered "better" hotel but I declined due to that hotel being in downtown AKL vs the "normal" hotel being close to airport. Not sure if this is "normal" and was a little while ago (2016).
had 3 or 4 disrupts last year (can’t remember exactly) this was not done on any and had it explained to me by call centre that standard practice was only if you were in transit. Also had team stranded at the airport and told to sleep at international and reminded about travel insurance. On the flip side - I have had them bend over backwards during something that was a mechanical issue. Generally always find them at least pleasant to deal with unlike the OP and UA
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sbiddle
*A handbook is good reading for those who have never seen it before https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/..._2017-2018.pdf
Thanks. In practice NZ doesn't offer the irrops handling mentioned on page 152-154, at least in my experience.

Originally Posted by Top of climb
EU compensation does not apply to delays or cancellations caused by bad weather.
The EU rule exemption to compensation for unavoidable circumstance does not apply to the duty of care provisions (which includes accommodation & transfers if delayed until next day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.