Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ to announce cheaper entry level domestic airfares

Air NZ to announce cheaper entry level domestic airfares

Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As we know the reality is "entry level pricing" doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. It's fine selling a few seats on a plane for $39 - but that doesn't mean last minute won't be $309

Dancan Garner had his big rant this morning and made a bit of an idiot of himself pretty much inferring all airfares were going to drop by 50%
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
As we know the reality is "entry level pricing" doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. It's fine selling a few seats on a plane for $39 - but that doesn't mean last minute won't be $309

Dancan Garner had his big rant this morning and made a bit of an idiot of himself pretty much inferring all airfares were going to drop by 50%
yep - booked my next quarter travel morning of the announcement, have gone back to check a couple of dates to see if I’d missed any opportunities - as suspected - nope! All targeted at leisure travelers (which is totally fine and makes sense given that’s where their issues seem to be), would be nice to see some higher frequencies in peak though on some of the key routes. Flexifares are useless 50% of the time.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Scored WLG-ZQN and WLG-ROT return for a couple of getaways $118pp and $100pp return, leaving Monday, ret Wednesday. These are normally never on sale. But we have the flexibility to just go. Can see how these fares wouldn't work for people going on business. However these routes have never been on special in the past so I'm happy. I see it just as a try at knocking out some of the JQ competition.

I had got quite used to JQ. Just pay the extra $8 on JQ and get the front row. Don't even need any status. In saying that the JQ fares often didn't work for us with the times.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Looks like JQ has followed with NPE now $35 and NPL $32....
NPE has always been $35 with JQ. NPL was $29 but went up to $32 about 5 months ago.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I am pretty happy, I can commute daily GIS to AKL for $78 . . . A$2 and 8SP!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
I am pretty happy, I can commute daily GIS to AKL for $78 . . . A$2 and 8SP!
Not bad compared to public transport in Auckland, If was to use public transport for my 2.8km trip to work its $33/week.......

AKL-GIS at $39 approx $0.11/km
3km on an AT Bus (with Hop Card) $1.10/km
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: CX, NZ, EK, SQ
Originally Posted by curioustill
I don't want to run out of things to do in Napier too quickly either!
Disappointment for you then, I suspect.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Tag1987

yep - booked my next quarter travel morning of the announcement, have gone back to check a couple of dates to see if I’d missed any opportunities - as suspected - nope! All targeted at leisure travelers (which is totally fine and makes sense given that’s where their issues seem to be), would be nice to see some higher frequencies in peak though on some of the key routes. Flexifares are useless 50% of the time.
This is what I noticed too - on the dates I quickly checked for trunk routes, it seemed there were 1-2 flights with "base pricing" at pretty awful times of the day and then there was a jump to the next tier of pricing. However, regional to regional flights with connections appear to be significantly cheaper which is great. Time will tell whether there is any substance to these changes for the publics benefit or whether it is just another PR exercise like the recent safety video "replacement".
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Not bad compared to public transport in Auckland, If was to use public transport for my 2.8km trip to work its $33/week.......

AKL-GIS at $39 approx $0.11/km
3km on an AT Bus (with Hop Card) $1.10/km
I would walk the 3km
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by brenrox
This is what I noticed too - on the dates I quickly checked for trunk routes, it seemed there were 1-2 flights with "base pricing" at pretty awful times of the day and then there was a jump to the next tier of pricing. However, regional to regional flights with connections appear to be significantly cheaper which is great. Time will tell whether there is any substance to these changes for the publics benefit or whether it is just another PR exercise like the recent safety video "replacement".
i think they got yelled at by the government so are now doing this.

yes it’s an independent enterprise, but the crown does own 52%

if Luxon wants to keep his job he can’t make the politicians too unhappy
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
Apparently JQ have reduced frequency into NPL, NPE and PMR. Will be interesting to see whether this is a 'winter schedule' or in response to Air NZ
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I went to look at WLG-ZQN on Monday for work. $389 o/w down on NZ, which at least was cheaper than the $520 JQ are wanting!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.