FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   WLG International Business Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1957855-wlg-international-business-lounge.html)

Thai-Kiwi Feb 24, 19 4:27 am

WLG International Business Lounge

Quick report. Flew WLG-MEL today on SQ248.
Lounge was barely ready to go when I turned up as the first guest around 13:10 (security/immigration only opens at 13:00).

Food was underwhelming and was similar to the AKL domestic lounge with chicken tangine as the ‘protein’ and some veges and deep fried cheese (?!)). Seemed quite a step down from my experiences of the AKL international lounge (yes, this is possible)

Wine/beer selections were OK, but not extensive.

Friendly and engaging staff member made hosting a colleague a breeze.

SQ Flight. (For those interested). SQ iPhone BP (iwallet) wouldn’t scan at NZ’s lounge, paper copy with barcode worked fine. No problems as TG*G boarding early with PPS and KF elites.

Y seats on the 772ER were hard and uncomfortable- maybe I have flown too much J med/long haul, but 3:30 was just about my limit.

Aircraft 100% full in Y. check-in staff said Y was oversold, alas no OPUP for me. I was on an H Flexi fare and as a *G wondered if I stood a chance!

Good alternative to NZ or QF.

Chessboxin Feb 24, 19 2:12 pm

I've always found the staff in WLG to be great, but my main issue is how small it is which is then compounded by the lack of windows and light.

I thought when designing a new terminal they would've thought about these things.

sopwith7 Feb 24, 19 2:42 pm

I use WLG International lounge all the time, and agreed the food selection has been quite poor lately. I'd imagine AirNZ will need to step things up once the new VA lounge is underway. Drinks selection is fine, and I find the space is mostly ok (minus the lack of natural light, which is a bit depressing).

sbiddle Feb 24, 19 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Chessboxin (Post 30816708)
I've always found the staff in WLG to be great, but my main issue is how small it is which is then compounded by the lack of windows and light.

I thought when designing a new terminal they would've thought about these things.

The space was never really an issue up until 2-3 years ago when like every lounge use seemed to skyrocketed everywhere.

The terminal itself is around 30 years old with only The Rock part it it being new. Where the QF and NZ lounges are is part of the original '80s international and Ansett terminal. The windows and light were not an issue until the the hotel was built, and it really just is bad luck for NZ that they lucked out getting a far worse spot than QF did for their lounge.

I don't think they have too many options there now, after the expansion and refurb the lounge is still too small, but it does seem that since the VA alliance ended that things have got a little better.

Kiwi Flyer Feb 25, 19 12:19 am

When SQ started the NZ international lounge had different (and better) catering before SQ departures than in other hours. That stopped a while ago. :(

The lounges not being ready shortly after immigration opens is always a problem at WLG (for NZ and QF). Lounge staff can't get airside early enough before passengers.

Thai-Kiwi Feb 26, 19 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 30818173)
...Lounge staff can't get airside early enough before passengers.

Especially hungry, and fleet of foot, travellers such as I was :)

Shamrock55 Feb 26, 19 4:49 pm

I wish they would serve the lovely Beef and Guinness pies that the Qantas lounge across the hall does :) I also really like working in the Qantas business desk area much more then in the Air NZ equivilant.

You are so right about the seats on the Singapore 772, I seriously considered taking it all the way to Singapore recently to avoid AKL but just cant do it until they upgrade those old aircraft and until they start offering PE.