FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   can you buy-up a ticket after initial purchase/ticketing on NZ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1956169-can-you-buy-up-ticket-after-initial-purchase-ticketing-nz.html)

ljwobker Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

can you buy-up a ticket after initial purchase/ticketing on NZ?

As background, we're limited to purchasing economy tickets for work and have to book them via a specific travel agent rather than directly through the airlines. On UA, their systems allow me to purchase the coach ticket via corporate, then call into reservations and buy up the fare. If it's done within 24 hours and you're buying up to a higher cabin (i.e. work paid for coach, I cover the extra $$$ to business), they'll waive all the change/hassle fees and reissue the ticket, charging only the difference in fare between whatever the original ticket was and the cost of the new one. Does NZ allow something like this? Given my experience with this sort of thing on various carriers, I'd believe anything from "of course they do this" to "are you insane, no way they do this!"

I'm coming back from AU next month and the SYD-AKL business fares are a very reasonable premium vs coach, so I wanted to get a small taste of the new NZ 789 premium cabin... ;-)

sbiddle Feb 13, 2019 4:23 pm

On TT routes you can typically upgrade your product without paying any rebooking fees. The same rules won't necessarily apply longhaul.

This does not appear to be a written rule so of course YMMV.

KiwiSurfer Feb 13, 2019 9:54 pm

There is also the option of bidding for upgrades as well which is called 'OneUp'. If you put in a decent bid you can get a good chance of an upgrade.

RTWFF Feb 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker (Post 30775283)
I'm coming back from AU next month and the SYD-AKL business fares are a very reasonable premium vs coach, so I wanted to get a small taste of the new NZ 789 premium cabin... ;-)

Good luck with that. Every time I've deliberately attempted that they've changed the aircraft on me

Mwenenzi Feb 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker (Post 30775283)
<snip>
Given my experience with this sort of thing on various carriers, I'd believe anything from "of course they do this" to "are you insane, no way they do this!"

Is this a Au NZ only ticket or part of a USA-NZ-Au return ticket?
As booked with a corporate TA it may be harder with Air NZ.

For all that SYD-AKL is about 3:00 hr flight time. In economy/coach paying for an exit row can improve the comfort.

NZbutterfly Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm

When booked directly with NZ you can do this. You may even be able to do this online although sometimes I find the price is more than the fare difference so end up calling.

When booked through a travel agent the travel agent wanted to charge me fees when Air NZ didn't! In general I've been referred back to the travel agent for changes. Only after the 1st flight of an itinerary was taken would Air NZ then takeover and I could liaise with them directly. I've largely taken over my own bookings so haven't been in this situation for a while.

I would try your luck though.

Tag1987 Feb 16, 2019 2:26 pm

In my experience NZ call centre agents won’t take over a travel agent fare - have tried to do this before. Typically this is because the fare conditions often vary between NZ and the Travel Agent. We use a corporate travel agent with similar rules on flights of less than 5hrs. Usually I just email my account manager and get the TA to charge my personal CC instead of the company account for the upgrade. Again- in my experience - the only time that a NZ consultant will take over a TA booking is for a reward upgrade or service disruption.

NZbutterfly Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tag1987 (Post 30786822)
In my experience NZ call centre agents won’t take over a travel agent fare - have tried to do this before. Typically this is because the fare conditions often vary between NZ and the Travel Agent. We use a corporate travel agent with similar rules on flights of less than 5hrs. Usually I just email my account manager and get the TA to charge my personal CC instead of the company account for the upgrade. Again- in my experience - the only time that a NZ consultant will take over a TA booking is for a reward upgrade or service disruption.

Have you tried after the 1st flight was taken?

Tag1987 Feb 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 30787401)

Have you tried after the 1st flight was taken?

have never really needed to do that - so couldn’t tell you. I should say that I’ve never had any issues with changes on day of departure by airport staff. I try to bypass the travel agent as much as possible - domestic I get away with booking direct, but anything beyond that I’m usually stuck using them due to WH&S rules.