FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   New frequent traveler survey (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1956146-new-frequent-traveler-survey.html)

gratn Feb 13, 19 2:34 pm

New frequent traveler survey

Did anyone else get an email from Christopher Luxton today, inviting ďfrequent travelersĒ to complete a survey? I dropped from Elite to Gold in 2018, so it looks like NZ is casting the net widely for feedback.

WLGNZ Feb 13, 19 2:42 pm

Yes.
Gave them clear feedback on poor frequent flyer programme. Maybe the new guy will work on making a programme for flyers, not credit card holders.

Markhm Feb 13, 19 2:55 pm

I did likewise. A new Loyalty GM was appointed last week.

gratn Feb 13, 19 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 30774748)
Yes.
Gave them clear feedback on poor frequent flyer programme. Maybe the new guy will work on making a programme for flyers, not credit card holders.

Thatís exactky the feedback I gave.

scottienz69 Feb 13, 19 4:46 pm

I suspect there will be lots of very similar responses from Elites/Golds - very poor/declining SP/Airpoints $ accrual rates for actually flying Air NZ metal, little/no long-term recognition of most regular FFers; overcrowded lounges, etc - the list goes on....

kiwicyclo Feb 13, 19 5:46 pm

I received the survey. Looking forward to taking some time to fill it out.

sbiddle Feb 13, 19 5:54 pm

I must be the only person who didn't get it!

edmm Feb 13, 19 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30775471)

No, I didn't get it either :( , but my wife (also elite) did this morning, so we are looking forward to filling it out together. Our response will be very much along the lines of those already mentioned, plus the Elite Christmas gift!!

NZ_Flyer Feb 13, 19 6:20 pm

Elite here and didnít get it

kiwicyclo Feb 13, 19 7:16 pm

Survey did not appear to be optimized for mobile, crashed out on submission . . . . wont get that 30 minutes back!

samjnz Feb 13, 19 7:27 pm

I definitely gave a lot of feedback about the lounge situation in Auckland International.

Also mentioned the missed opportunity to update the Business hard product when they refitted the 773 aircraft and are now falling behind other carriers.

sbiddle Feb 13, 19 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz (Post 30775722)
I definitely gave a lot of feedback about the lounge situation in Auckland International.

Also mentioned the missed opportunity to update the Business hard product when they refitted the 773 aircraft and are now falling behind other carriers.

As much as many in here love to hate on the BP the problem is lots of feedback doesn't back that up, and my experience flying back from ORD on Sunday was proof of that.

The BP cabin was chokka full of Americans who are in all likelihood paying top $$ who simply couldn't get over how great the plane was, how great the cabin was, how great their sleep was, how great the service was, and how great it was they could dine at their seat (multiple couples chose this for both meals). They were gushing over the crew and telling them this repeatedly and how much better they were than all the other airlines they'd flown.

Who should NZ really listen to?

samjnz Feb 13, 19 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30775787)
As much as many in here love to hate on the BP the problem is lots of feedback doesn't back that up, and my experience flying back from ORD on Sunday was proof of that.

The BP cabin was chokka full of Americans who are in all likelihood paying top $$ who simply couldn't get over how great the plane was, how great the cabin was, how great their sleep was, how great the service was, and how great it was they could dine at their seat (multiple couples chose this for both meals). They were gushing over the crew and telling them this repeatedly and how much better they were than all the other airlines they'd flown.

Who should NZ really listen to?

The inflight service is still excellent compared to Polaris on UA where asking for a mattress pad is met with a stern scowl from the FAs and the food is increasingly cost cut.

The big thing is leg room -- as a 6'1" person, it's a much easier fit on some of the newer products (such as UA's)

By far my biggest rant was about lounges though -- it's more peaceful in the terminal at times

jeffrocowboy Feb 13, 19 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo (Post 30775705)
Survey did not appear to be optimized for mobile, crashed out on submission . . . . wont get that 30 minutes back!

they did warn that at the beginning of the survey (but of course better practice would allow completion on mobile)

jeffrocowboy Feb 13, 19 10:20 pm

I got it - and I am but a lowly Elite Partner (only Silver in my own right, and that looks like disappearing too)

oranjemakker Feb 13, 19 10:20 pm

Elite here didnt get the survey, I may need to check spam!

But my feedback would be similar to the above, i now fly Air NZ basically because I have to. last few years I flew international and got banked years, now my domestic travel will comfortably requalify me but no banked year (have 3 already anyway)

If they had a better loyalty programme I would consider giving more of my considerable international travel to AirNZ.

i wonder if the their recent tougher financial results will make them treat their FFP better to get more loyalty, or will they see us another cost to cut?

Thai-Kiwi Feb 13, 19 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30775471)

This Jade didnít receive the email, so you are not alone! Pity, Iíd happily add my opinion why I am staying away from Airpoints......

WLG Base Feb 13, 19 11:08 pm

I received the email.

I will try and engage with the new Loyalty Manager as FT Ambassador for NZ.

sbiddle Feb 13, 19 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz (Post 30776088)

By far my biggest rant was about lounges though -- it's more peaceful in the terminal at times

Can't disagree with that. My last two flights have involved a late Friday afternoon at WLG where the place literally was a completely chokka noisy bar and then coming back from ORD on Tuesday walking into AKL domestic Koru was like walking into a zoo. The terminal was quiet in comparison to the lounge where there were pretty much no spare seats anywhere and huge numbers of people just standing around.

The problem is I don't know what NZ can do about the Koru issue. Doubling the size of lounges isn't really possible!

oranjemakker Feb 13, 19 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30776332)
Can't disagree with that. My last two flights have involved a late Friday afternoon at WLG where the place literally was a completely chokka noisy bar and then coming back from ORD on Tuesday walking into AKL domestic Koru was like walking into a zoo. The terminal was quiet in comparison to the lounge where there were pretty much no spare seats anywhere and huge numbers of people just standing around.

The problem is I don't know what NZ can do about the Koru issue. Doubling the size of lounges isn't really possible!

I guess increase price of koru membership could be an option?

nzkarit Feb 13, 19 11:36 pm

Just received an email in the last few minutes as a Gold.

hodi Feb 14, 19 2:11 am

Same, received dead on 9pm this eve, Elite. here we go!

drajknox Feb 14, 19 2:28 am

It didnít take me as long as I anticipated. However not well designed in that when you answered that you hadnít used some benefits it might lead them to think you didnít value them when in fact you might plan to use them in the future.

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 14, 19 4:09 am

They offered me the "opportunity" to give a survey.

And I figured I the opportunity to spend my time doing anything else was better.

Domestically can't talk. Internationally I would rather fly them, to USA than Qantas ANY day, and Virgin Competes with them for me money, literally. Usually air nz edges, it due to flight times but sometimes to make earlier connections I need to fly with virgin. That's pretty much it from this long haul traveler.

Beano Feb 14, 19 4:55 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30776336)

do that at the same time as removing credit card passes and removing credit card SP and SP only on Airnz tickets.
that would free up the lounges :-)

poopbunny Feb 14, 19 5:28 am

Be careful what you wish for.

The last time, some of you complained it wasn't fair how your last minute corporate paid fare earned the same as discount fares. We ended up with a broken complicated roulette style airpoints program.

In the era where NZ is going through tougher times, any new change can only be more restrictive. Some of you are already struggling to make status.

Call me skeptical. NZ will make very selective changes that will benefit the bottom line further, not necessarily in the favour of frequent flyer or loyalty.

The timing of this survey is bad when the airline signals changes ahead in response to financial outlook.

drajknox Feb 14, 19 11:22 am

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 30777087)
Be careful what you wish for.

The last time, some of you complained it wasn't fair how your last minute corporate paid fare earned the same as discount fares. We ended up with a broken complicated roulette style airpoints program.

In the era where NZ is going through tougher times, any new change can only be more restrictive. Some of you are already struggling to make status.

Call me skeptical. NZ will make very selective changes that will benefit the bottom line further, not necessarily in the favour of frequent flyer or loyalty.

The timing of this survey is bad when the airline signals changes ahead in response to financial outlook.

possibly sage words :)

sbiddle Feb 14, 19 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30776336)

Maybe.. But the number of Gold members has exploded in recent years. If NZ give better earn like so many people want then that situation will only get worse, not better.

WLGNZ Feb 14, 19 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30778509)
Maybe.. But the number of Gold members has exploded in recent years. If NZ give better earn like so many people want then that situation will only get worse, not better.

Yes.
Arguably status is too easy to earn. Especially Elite. Make Elite a status that is genuinely hard to achieve and earned by bums on seats. Remove status earning from credit card earn.
Earn and burn of redeemable points / dollars is very poor which could be improved.

WLGNZ Feb 14, 19 1:24 pm

And I received a second invite to participate today although I already completed the survey yesterday.

sbiddle Feb 14, 19 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 30778711)
Yes.
Remove status earning from credit card earn.

But that earns Air NZ millions of dollars each year. Remove that and they'll need to find a new source of revenue!

sbiddle Feb 14, 19 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 30778808)
And I received a second invite to participate today although I already completed the survey yesterday.

You could let me fill that one in! :)

poopbunny Feb 14, 19 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 30778711)
Yes.
Arguably status is too easy to earn. Especially Elite. Make Elite a status that is genuinely hard to achieve and earned by bums on seats. Remove status earning from credit card earn.

QF has better SP earn and their Platinum threshold is lower. The SYD & MEL flagship Plat lounges come with a la carte restaurant dining featuring seafood, premium wine and champagne.

Any harder, some might just ditch NZ altogether for the competition.

poopbunny Feb 14, 19 2:22 pm

WLG Base Feb 14, 19 2:47 pm

And I received a second invite to participate today...

Me too.

I just received a similar survey from EK. You get a chance to receive 50,000 Skyward Miles for completing.

kiwicyclo Feb 14, 19 3:04 pm

Same. 9.19 am this morning.

Chessboxin Feb 14, 19 3:05 pm

I haven't received one as a lowly Gold.

edmm Feb 14, 19 4:03 pm

My wife just had her second invitation, but I haven't had one yet, as a many-years Elite with lots of banked years.

mmonster Feb 14, 19 4:47 pm

as some of you have said, one have to be careful what you are asking for -

to me - I must admit I have benefited from the credit card earn to get my status, however, one must take note it is because of this that I am happier to fly more with NZ. It is the main reason I am happy to pay a bit more and it is definitely the main reason just because of me, lots of family trips are made with NZ. I would ask why would a business would kill these ties off when the issue is caused by crowded lounges? Yes, no one likes this, but I am very surprised if this is how one would solve the issue. It feels like you are willing to get a doctor to amputate a limb when the issue can be fixed locally.

I hope if people are more sensible and just focus on the problem and not really asking them to see how it can be solved. It is a business decision at the end of the day. I do not have much ideas how much measurable benefits NZ gets in the credit card space but I am assure that they are benefiting from things that are more hidden. Even Elite partner for this matter bring them business, all my partner's travel are now with NZ just because of this. So when there are a lot of FFs out there that needs to take a lot of trips, there are always a group (from a bigger volume) that takes flights with NZ because of that reason.

nzkarit Feb 14, 19 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30778923)
But that earns Air NZ millions of dollars each year. Remove that and they'll need to find a new source of revenue!

Numbers from QANTAS
Loyalty made $372m
While international made $399m

http://www.traveller.com.au/qantas-titanium-credit-card-new-frequent-flyer-points-card-aims-for-big-spenders-h1b5dj