Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best seats for a couple in business premier (777-300)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Super excited that I found seats in business premier on the 777-300 (AKL - LAX) for the return flight of my honeymoon.

I'm wondering what would be the best seats to choose for a couple - i.e. which two seats would be the closest together and would let you talk (or watch a movie together? though that seems unlikely).

We were assigned 7A and 7B, which seems ok. Getting B & C in the same row would physically put you the closest, but it looks like there's a pretty high wall in between. And when I go to select seats, there's an option to do it as a group - when I do that, it seems to want to put us in one seat behind the other (e.g. 9A/10A). Due to the angle of the seats, it's almost like those are next to each other - but it's hard to say how much interaction you can really have.

What would be the best choice? A/B in the same row, B/C in the same row, or A/A in consecutive rows?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by monkeys
Super excited that I found seats in business premier on the 777-300 (AKL - LAX) for the return flight of my honeymoon.

I'm wondering what would be the best seats to choose for a couple - i.e. which two seats would be the closest together and would let you talk (or watch a movie together? though that seems unlikely).

We were assigned 7A and 7B, which seems ok. Getting B & C in the same row would physically put you the closest, but it looks like there's a pretty high wall in between. And when I go to select seats, there's an option to do it as a group - when I do that, it seems to want to put us in one seat behind the other (e.g. 9A/10A). Due to the angle of the seats, it's almost like those are next to each other - but it's hard to say how much interaction you can really have.

What would be the best choice? A/B in the same row, B/C in the same row, or A/A in consecutive rows?

Thanks!
NZ BP is incredibly inconvenient if not travelling alone. Best you can do is A/B but it's still poor.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd opt for 7 B/J as preference. Second option would be picking a seat in front, ie 4A/5A rather than sitting across the aisle from each other.

There isn't really an idea solution for couples.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
We've done it many times and enjoy the experience. It doesn't make much difference between A/B or A/A, either way it doesn't make for easy communication. We usually sit in two A seats (eg: 6A/7A) but being small we can't see over the barriers, so have to get up to talk. The best part of the experience is that we usually sit at one table opposite each other (one sits on the ottoman) and have a meal together.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS NZ*G Elite QF*G
I've always travelled alone in BP, but have seen a number of couples in BP who have been disappointed with the B/J option. You've got a divider in between you, and you're facing away, and can only really communicate by one of you going down the aisle, through the galley and down the other aisle.

I would recommend A/B or J/K everytime. Even then you're offset a bit from each other, but you can at least reach each other e.g. to dine together (one sitting on the ottoman).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Take two A or J seats at least you can see over each other when the seats are up
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
I've done K/K, which is fine, and J/K, which is also fine. Would not do B/J unless traveling with someone I didn't like

If going across the aisle again, however, I'd be tempted to do something like 10J/9K, as I feel like 9J and 9K see less of each other due to a slight stagger between seats in the same row (offset would be flipped on the left side of the plane, so 9A/10B). Same would apply in the forward cabin.

I do enjoy the companion dining, even though it's cozy.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Having done both the across the aisle (i.e. A/B or J/K) and the (A/A or B/B or J/J or K/K) option we preferred not being across the aisle.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Across the aisle (eg A/B) if want to be able to easily see each other, adjacent seats (eg A/A) if want to talk with each other (while seated), across the centre divide (eg B/J) if want to make it hard to communicate (and also makes it harder to sit on ottoman since one of you will need to go through a galley to get to the other seat).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Originally Posted by edmm
We've done it many times and enjoy the experience. It doesn't make much difference between A/B or A/A, either way it doesn't make for easy communication. We usually sit in two A seats (eg: 6A/7A) but being small we can't see over the barriers, so have to get up to talk. The best part of the experience is that we usually sit at one table opposite each other (one sits on the ottoman) and have a meal together.
It might be the best part of your experience but I find it really unpleasant when I am crowded in by people doing just that especially in the 789.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by smandkjc
It might be the best part of your experience but I find it really unpleasant when I am crowded in by people doing just that especially in the 789.
Agree entirely, the 789 is really "tight" in J, even for small people, and for that reason we select the 777's whenever possible. We also select A seats on the 789 and sit such that the person on the ottoman is adjacent to their own empty seat, to avoid the issue you raised of impinging on someone else's space.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: Nz*G
We also have a BP booking to lax next year and are currently booked into 1A and 2B.

Any thoughts on these seats ? Any annoying issues to do with the very front of the cabin ?

Cheers
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Mentioned before previously best seats are around 3/4A then move forward, 2,1. Then backwards
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:28 am

Just wondering, is the space and table very tight for 2 normal-size asians to dine facing each other in BP? 1 sitting on the ottoman of course. Also, is A or B better for this case?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by behyx
Just wondering, is the space and table very tight for 2 normal-size asians to dine facing each other in BP? 1 sitting on the ottoman of course. Also, is A or B better for this case?
Never tried/bothered. Looks tight but doable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.