FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Flight to RAR today [10 Feb 2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1955401-flight-rar-today-10-feb-2019-a.html)

Mickidon Feb 9, 2019 9:24 am

Flight to RAR today [10 Feb 2019]

Any idea why NZ 19 was canceled today?
Once a week flight, so it’s kind of disappointing. I wasn’t alerted-just stumbled on to it when I checked.

sbiddle Feb 9, 2019 10:15 am

No specific knowledge but NZ18 didn't leave AKL yesterday to fly to RAR and then LAX. There have been plenty of issues with those ex SQ planes.

wayoutwest Feb 9, 2019 1:22 pm

Those planes are a disgrace on routes NZ are getting subsidised to run. Old cracked seats, screens not working, food as bad as ever, was hoping seeing as old plane would get old time food but no such luck.

sbiddle Feb 9, 2019 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest (Post 30758449)
Those planes are a disgrace on routes NZ are getting subsidised to run. Old cracked seats, screens not working, food as bad as ever, was hoping seeing as old plane would get old time food but no such luck.

Yet thousands of people fly daily both on the same aircraft on SQ, as well as the earlier non refurb sail operated on routes such as WLG-MEL and MEL-SIN.

Is the fit out or BP catering up to normal NZ standard? No it's not - but give me that plane any day for a long economy flight over anything in the NZ fleet.

wayoutwest Feb 9, 2019 6:48 pm

Main concern is the $12m approx they get paid to Operate the routes using crap sub NZ standard planes. The BP seats are not what people expect especially when they do a flight change and you end up on Air Singapore as it is known in the Cooks. Only heard one compliment from the frequent flyers on the routes it flies and that is, thankfully we not on it next time.

Canuckistanian Feb 9, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi all
Just joined the group...have flown ANZ several times BC including several 777's and 787...My wife and I took the LAX-RAR back in 2008 and it was pretty nice...currently, we are on next week's flight (19) from LAX to RAR and it sounds like they are not putting their best planes on this route...a bit disconcerting. I would have thought that the LAX-AUK route would have been an important one.

nzkarit Feb 9, 2019 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Canuckistanian (Post 30759387)
Hi all
Just joined the group...have flown ANZ several times BC including several 777's and 787...My wife and I took the LAX-RAR back in 2008 and it was pretty nice...currently, we are on next week's flight (19) from LAX to RAR and it sounds like they are not putting their best planes on this route...a bit disconcerting. I would have thought that the LAX-AUK route would have been an important one.

The flagship route NZ1/2 is on the AirNZ 773s metal (AKL-LHR direct via LAX). NZ5/6 is a mix of the NZ 773s and the leased from Eva Air 773. (LAX-AKL non stop)

NZ18/19 (LAX-AKL direct via RAR) is more a leisure heavy so is getting the the leased from Boeing 772s (previously used by SQ).

This is all due to the Trent 1000 Package C issues. Air NZ doesn't really have much control over broken/grounded engines, hence the leased planes.

Canuckistanian Feb 9, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30759458)
The flagship route NZ1/2 is on the AirNZ 773s metal (AKL-LHR direct via LAX). NZ5/6 is a mix of the NZ 773s and the leased from Eva Air 773. (LAX-AKL non stop)

NZ18/19 (LAX-AKL direct via RAR) is more a leisure heavy so is getting the the leased from Boeing 772s (previously used by SQ).

This is all due to the Trent 1000 Package C issues. Air NZ doesn't really have much control over broken/grounded engines, hence the leased planes.

Yeah, I get that...we have three weeks vacation booked in the Cooks and this is just one more thing to worry about, especially since it's a once-a-week flight. Never had an issue with ANZ but last February we had our return flight - KLM from South Africa back to Canada via Amsterdam cancelled...lot's of headaches...hopefully next week will be a smooth flight....if you're going to strand us, please strand is in the Cooks...please not LAX!!!!

nzkarit Feb 9, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Canuckistanian (Post 30759474)
Yeah, I get that...we have three weeks vacation booked in the Cooks and this is just one more thing to worry about, especially since it's a once-a-week flight. Never had an issue with ANZ but last February we had our return flight - KLM from South Africa back to Canada via Amsterdam cancelled...lot's of headaches...hopefully next week will be a smooth flight....if you're going to strand us, please strand is in the Cooks...please not LAX!!!!

Planes go tech all the time, is something that can happen on any trip. Given its a once a week flight they will either route you LAX-AKL-RAR or put on NZ6XXX flight as a rescue flight. ZK-OKI which was the cancelled NZ18/19 did do a NZ6056/7 AKL-RAR turn as a rescue flight and guess the LAX portion was routed via NZ1/2/5/6

Canuckistanian Feb 9, 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30759498)
Planes go tech all the time, is something that can happen on any trip. Given its a once a week flight they will either route you LAX-AKL-RAR or put on NZ6XXX flight as a rescue flight. ZK-OKI which was the cancelled NZ18/19 did do a NZ6056/7 AKL-RAR turn as a rescue flight and guess the LAX portion was routed via NZ1/2/5/6

Cheers

mccma Feb 9, 2019 8:05 pm

What business seats do the leased SQ planes have? Flying this route in June and my seat select has disapeared so I imagine there's been an equipment change.

sbiddle Feb 9, 2019 9:37 pm

2006 J refurb - this is the same as most of their A380 fleet.

Mickidon Feb 10, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30759498)

We were not offered any options to RAR. The LAX and SFO flights were full according to them. Fortunately I asked about IAH and was able to get to AKL. Not worth going back for a stopover bit was not impressed at all with the communication or offers. Lemonade, however, is that is raining there
so this might end up being better.

nzlilibet Feb 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Understandably, there is a fair amount of discussion about these cancelled flights on the Cook Islands section of TripAdviser. It seems that NZ is giving different explanations according to who is talking and where. One reason given is problems with landing lights at Rarotonga airport or staffing issues in LAX.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTo...k_Islands.html

Obviously NZ are having problems but it would seem sensible for them to issue a press release on the matter, not only for those passengers affected, but also others who may be affected by the trickle-down effect. I think also the general public should be advised of what actually happened.

mccma Feb 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Flying NZ18 AKL to RAR in June. Had an equipment change from the 772 (Air NZ), to a 789 (also Air NZ fitout). On the way back NZ45, we've been switched from a 772, to a 772, but now I can't seat select. Which I imagine means they've switched us onto the old SQ plane? Flying PE on the way back, but that plane doesn't have PE. Interesting to see what happens.

Edit: I called Air NZ, and the return flight has also been changed to a 789, so think the system is just slow to update.