FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Fares rising over time - when do they peak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1954757-fares-rising-over-time-when-do-they-peak.html)

EdFly Feb 5, 2019 12:06 pm

Fares rising over time - when do they peak

I have been watching/hovering over August return flights to Houston & 1 UA hop since January.
so january $1600
last week 2200
this week 2300
ok, I should have booked in January!
But wondering when, typically, fares peak before a future flight like this.

ajeleonard Feb 5, 2019 12:13 pm

They peak right before the flight

However I suspect what you are really asking is if they will do down again, and since it's still several months out it is highly likely.

USA_flyer Feb 5, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 30742682)
They peak right before the flight

However I suspect what you are really asking is if they will do down again, and since it's still several months out it is highly likely.

Even for August travel?

EdFly Feb 5, 2019 12:43 pm

I wonder whether the airnz website is tracking your booking searches and adapting fares upwards accordingly.
I guess you could check this from another wifi network & device and don’t sign on before checking flight costs.

Bub001 Feb 5, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by EdFly (Post 30742801)
I wonder whether the airnz website is tracking your booking searches and adapting fares upwards accordingly.
I guess you could check this from another wifi network & device and don’t sign on before checking flight costs.

No.

nzkarit Feb 5, 2019 1:43 pm

Also January had their yearly new year sale, so why price would have been low then.

(Ignoring sales (and that they will often block dates where load already good))
The prices are always in flux. The computer's goal is the sell out the plane for the highest overall price. If sales are slower than expected price will go down a bit. Flight selling fast price goes up to gain most benefit. Price always high at the end as people traveling last minute need to travel so will pay & these are particularly business customers so not flying on their dime so less price sensitive.

sbiddle Feb 5, 2019 1:46 pm

Doesn't work like that.

For hotel chains that do this checking from another network wouldn't make a difference if it was the same device as they use cookies Incongeto browsing is the solution.

nzkarit Feb 5, 2019 1:47 pm

I have personally not seen this with AirNZ. Some people think this happens as prices can be recalculated with every seat sold or as price buckets get sold. But having run searches simultaneously in the past there price returned is the same for that snap shot in time.

poopbunny Feb 5, 2019 3:11 pm

Here are SALE events for USA the last couple of years.
Book by May for August
http://i66.tinypic.com/2yzegbq.jpg

EdFly Feb 5, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks - good archiving!

NZbutterfly Feb 5, 2019 5:44 pm

Currently flights ~1800nzd for some August dates if you don't mind return leg with UA to LAX then NZ home. Search it on google flights, book via United website.

I've seen flights to IAH ~ 650-750 one way, not sure on lowest return pricing but usually expect return to be ~$200 more. Although prices may drop closer the time the other half of that question is 'how low?'

sbiddle Feb 5, 2019 5:59 pm

It's going to be an interesting year for pricing .All airlines (incl NZ) are feeling some financial pain right now. That should mean fewer specials but it's a balancing act between prices and demand, which is also dropping.

Craig Whitmore Feb 5, 2019 10:22 pm

You might to check out

https://promos.airnz.co.nz/wenza/

Ellice Feb 18, 2019 8:09 am

I’ve noticed there were quite a few short notice NZ sales in the last 12 months. Like the Hawaii price war at the moment. There’s always been short notice specials for mid Nov-mid Dec travel to the US I’ve noticed.

Also lately the airlines seemed to be offering really cheap specials via the travel agent shops like flight centre and house of travel. The flight centre expo in Late September in Wellington has some of the cheapest deals. I find sky scanner useful sometimes but there’s really not much competition for NZ on the Nz US routes unless you’re prepared to fly via OZ. Sorry this doesn’t answer your question specifically!!

Ellice Feb 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Grabaseat has CHC-IAH in August for $1400 return at the moment.