FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Gold Status Moving Target (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1953905-gold-status-moving-target.html)

AlanaB Jan 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Gold Status Moving Target

Could anyone explain how ANZ sets the targets to retain Gold status? I lost Gold a few months ago, now I have Silver, but the requirement to upgrade to GOld keeps changing day by day - always further away from the travel points I’ve just earned. Before my flight to Australia this week I required 80 points, and after the flight today it requires 97 points.

Tag1987 Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm

To retain is based on your twelve months since your tier anniversary - but if you don’t retain then you need to re-achieve and achievement is based on the last twelve months and at a higher rate. For instance for *G retention is only 810 status points but to achieve you need 900 status credits. So you are now dropping off last years status credits plus need to earn the additional to get back to 900.

SilverTP Jan 30, 2019 9:12 pm

From the Air New Zealand site: " Your account is reviewed daily [my emphasis] to see if, in the previous 12 months, you have earned enough Status Points to move up to Gold status." So if you earned status points just over a year ago, they will have recently expired (hence the moving target).

Kiwi Flyer Feb 2, 2019 3:20 pm

To retain a status the period is fixed 12 months, but to attain a higher status a rolling 12 month period is used. So older flights will continually be dropping off the calculation to increase status.

The Air NZ method of rolling period is fairer than Qantas uses (fixed 12 month period for both retaining and attaining status) since people's travel plans don't usually fit nicely into fixed periods.

AlanaB Feb 2, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks to you all - that helps my understanding. It feels like a\im chasing a rabbit so I will just need to up the chase.

Cheers

nzkarit Feb 2, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by AlanaB (Post 30732627)
Thanks to you all - that helps my understanding. It feels like a\im chasing a rabbit so I will just need to up the chase.

Cheers

I had to make a spreadsheet so could see the rolling year on days other than today. Did find it easier if could see how many would actually have in the future on a given date.

sopwith7 Feb 3, 2019 7:09 pm

Agreed, making a spreadsheet was crucial to attaining Gold for me. I started by picking a big flight from the past year and set that as Row 1 - now you have defined your year a bit. I am by no means an Excel expert, and I'm sure there are better ways to do this. My sheet looked like this:

Columns:

Flight Number, Flight Date, Status Points from Flight, Rolling total (formula)

First Row has column labels, and flight entries start on Row 2.

Formula for the Rolling Total column in Row 3 was:

=SUM($C$2:C3)

and in Row 4:

=SUM($C$2:C4)

Then copy down the formula to the last row of flights.

To make sure I crossed the Gold threshold even when Status Points over 1 year old started falling off, I added two more columns:

Flight Date, Status Points from Flight, Rolling total (formula), Rolling total (copied as values), New Rolling Total (formula)

For the New Rolling Total column, I set the formula to only Sum flights within the calendar year based on the Flight Date column, for example:

=SUM($C$3:C49)

or
=SUM($C$5:C52)

Every time I planned or booked a flight, I would enter the flight and its projected Status Points into the sheet. Worked a charm - just keep in mind that Status Points expire after 364 days at midnight NZ time, regardless of where your flights originated.

nzkarit Feb 3, 2019 7:32 pm

Or you can get a little fancier:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
With the first sheet a rolling 364 view
Then other sheets to track current gold year (they get their data from the first sheet so only one data entry)

Plus some fancy colouring Has demo data.

sopwith7 Feb 3, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30736213)
Or you can get a little fancier:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
With the first sheet a rolling 364 view
Then other sheets to track current gold year

Plus some fancy colouring Has demo data.

Lovely!

Beckett66 Feb 3, 2019 8:34 pm

I use a spreadsheet too. It's the only way I can be sure about future status point levels.

In Google Sheets, I essentially have column A (date), column B (Status Points for flight), and column C (rolling 12-month total). In row 10, for example, the formula for column C is:
=SUMIF(A1:A10,">" & EDATE(A10,-12),B:B10)

You then only need rows for your actual flight dates.

Of course, you also need other columns for SPs earned from NZ flights, SPs earned from non NZ flights, SPs earned from credit cards, and another formula for calculating the rollover of a status tier you've already reached, etc.

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 4, 2019 3:30 pm

Oh man... life is a lot easier when you get your status by flying internationally... a lot less flights to juggle!

sopwith7 Feb 4, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30739420)
Oh man... life is a lot easier when you get your status by flying internationally... a lot less flights to juggle!

Unless flying mostly trans tasman - then it takes even more flights to qualify! Though I do appreciate the extra few SP now appearing on TT fares.