Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When/Why is Business cheaper than Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When/Why is Business cheaper than Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I don't see how you can compare the two subsidies. They share nothing in common.

RAR is a fully public subsidy that has undergone multiple reviews since it started in 2009. Whether the economic benefits stand up and deliver are still open to debate, but at least everything is out in the open.

Wellington ratepayers fund a deal done in secret with major details (such as exactly how much per year SQ get) not available and OIA requests to reveal it being rejected. To add to that the original purpose of the subsidy was to start WLG-CBR-SIN flights, but because both WLG-CBR and CBR-SIN routes didn't work SIN changed the routing of SIN-CBR so it was via SYD inbound, and then changed WLG routing via MEL but still kept the subsidy despite this route now having one of the highest load factors across the entire SQ network (sits around 92%)

Imagine if Air NZ decided to scrap RAR-SYD and RAR-LAX and instead fly everybody via AKL but still keep the subsidy. There would be outrage.
Well if it makes you feel any better I have at least two trips booked transiting in WLG to take advantage of the subsidised flights and and I'll probably spend $0 in your region whilst passing through I'd like to know how they avoided having to answer OIA requests?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brenrox
I'd like to know how they avoided having to answer OIA requests?
There have been a lot of OIA requests for information, however the whole deal seems to have been done with very little paperwork. Both the Taxpayers Union and Stuff spent a lot of time asking questions, but not getting answers.

Some of the best information is in this OIA request, which like others has a lot of the significant details redacted. https://fyi.org.nz/request/3590-info...incoming-12752

SQ did the dirty on the whole deal by taking the subsidy, not delivering the promised aircraft or business class offering they pledged, and then changing the route. While I'd happily fly SQ elsewhere I have fundamental issues with the whole deal and would certainly never support SQ on the MEL route.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Is a great option if in the regions in my case HLZ. Booked to leave HLZ 11.00 am transit WLG in MEL by 2.30 pm and reverse leave MEL 0630 am back HLZ 2.55 pm.No drive to and from the madhouse of Auckland, no parking fees and of course no need to leave for the airport (Auckland) 5 hours before the flight, HLZ only 10/15 mins away.so whats not to like.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by ClanJ
Is a great option if in the regions in my case HLZ. Booked to leave HLZ 11.00 am transit WLG in MEL by 2.30 pm and reverse leave MEL 0630 am back HLZ 2.55 pm.No drive to and from the madhouse of Auckland, no parking fees and of course no need to leave for the airport (Auckland) 5 hours before the flight, HLZ only 10/15 mins away.so whats not to like.
ha! Plus one for ex HLZ.

Totally off thread, but what are Singapore flying out of WLG? Is it 772 a la OKI? Similar business product to NZ?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging

ha! Plus one for ex HLZ.

Totally off thread, but what are Singapore flying out of WLG? Is it 772 a la OKI? Similar business product to NZ?
It's the generation before the 2006 J refit that OKI/OKJ have - they are full lie flat and the same as most A380s.

SQ fly their regional 777s that are all 2002 era and have never seen a refit - angled recliner business and original 2002 era 3-3-3 economy that's all non slimline so is actually incredibly comfy in economy. IFE is original as well.

SQ originally promised the A330 with full lie flat, but despite being slammed for the 777 business offering they have so far given no indications as to what they'll move to when they do retire the last of these regionals which I believe is scheduled for around 2022. The 787-10 is their new regional aircraft so it could be this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
There have been a lot of OIA requests for information, however the whole deal seems to have been done with very little paperwork. Both the Taxpayers Union and Stuff spent a lot of time asking questions, but not getting answers.

Some of the best information is in this OIA request, which like others has a lot of the significant details redacted. https://fyi.org.nz/request/3590-info...incoming-12752

SQ did the dirty on the whole deal by taking the subsidy, not delivering the promised aircraft or business class offering they pledged, and then changing the route. While I'd happily fly SQ elsewhere I have fundamental issues with the whole deal and would certainly never support SQ on the MEL route.
Why not organise a boycott? It’ll be just as effective as boycotting a petrol brand 🙄
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham

Why not organise a boycott? It’ll be just as effective as boycotting a petrol brand 🙄
A petrol boycott would be exceptionally effective if people actually did it properly. Since the big four all share infrastructure you'd totally mess up the fuel allocations and swaps scheme if it was sustained for a few weeks!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
A petrol boycott would be exceptionally effective if people actually did it properly. Since the big four all share infrastructure you'd totally mess up the fuel allocations and swaps scheme if it was sustained for a few weeks!
OK, they’ve dealt with natural disasters, refinery shutdowns, fuel shortages, fuel contaminations etc but you think they couldn’t deal with that?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Eltham

OK, they’ve dealt with natural disasters, refinery shutdowns, fuel shortages, fuel contaminations etc but you think they couldn’t deal with that?
They will have insurance for all those which helps the cash flow. And those don't affect the ratio of sales between companies.

They don't have insurance for a bunch of people not using them. Petrol is allocated to one company will need to sold to another, so messes up oil futures and currency hedging which reach company has in place. Petrol might start going off if do it for long enough.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
They will have insurance for all those which helps the cash flow.

No, they self insure up to about US$50 million

And those don't affect the ratio of sales between companies.

They can and do

They don't have insurance for a bunch of people not using them

True. Who would? It’s just normal business. People don’t use them every day

Petrol is allocated to one company will need to sold to another, so messes up oil futures and currency hedging which reach company has in place

Petrol is not “allocated” except in extreme circumstances (a boycott is not one). They all have their own supply chains

Petrol might start going off if do it for long enough

If you don’t fill up you will run out or the fuel will deteriorate in your tank. Who’s likely to be worse off?
This is now way off topic, but also remember the energy companies don’t just sell petrol to cash buyers. Much more fuel is sold to fleets, airlines and shipping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.