Done with NZ J class

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Oh haha, it wasn't even the FA that said that. I misread it.

I must say that if pax are walking through and saying that, I would totally understand why they would think that and wouldn't be offended at all. It never occurred to me that a "benefit" of BP is that you don't have people walking past you during boarding.

I always find it awkward when people are shuffling past me and I'm sitting there almost sheepishly with a glass of champagne or whatever. Especially with NZ where you are literally facing everybody.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
In all my years of flying in comfortable seats that they great unwashed walk by, never have I heard people say "I would never pay for that" or "I hate those seats, who'd pay to sit there"
Odd. I have heard it many times. This is anecdotal of course.
Silver Fox and Melia like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:40 pm

As to hearing what people are saying, isn't that what ANC headphones are for? Rarely a time I won't have them on.
taupo and samyoull like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
How would that even work on planes which have a second BP cabin? Not aware of any gate setups for widebodies where can board through doors other than 1L and 2L (and whatever they call upper 1L on an A380). Well they could start boarding Y through the stairs at the rear?
No idea and so I agree I'm surprised OP was put out by this. Given that in Air NZ planes the 2nd cabin requires people move through it, I've never seen it as part of the benefit of being in BP with Air NZ. I don't book early enough to get the best window seats in the first cabin so I often end up in the 2nd. For years as one of the masses, I didn't realize a front, private BP cabin even existed, haha, I assumed everyone had to pass through you and was shocked to find that wasn't the case at all.

I don't know about everyone else here: I didn't grow up flying BP. In fact, when I first entered this forum, I flew economy. BP is now something I can afford and I still feel pretty dang lucky that I can and even then if I'm flying with my partner especially, I really try my best to get upgrades to save $$$. And I also remember very clearly when paying for BP (or PE) would have been, to put it lightly, a very foolish use of my money. And honestly, until I had enough money that it switched from a foolish decision to a smart decision, I would have struggled to comprehend how it could have been a smart choice for anyone. I still have friends who don't believe me when I say that my flight choices are smart, because to them, a return BP long-haul ticket would be 1/5-1/10th their annual pre-tax salary.

So if pax are moving through the BP cabin and commenting to their friends/family about the stupidity of purchasing it... frankly, while it's rude to do that within earshot of people sitting there, I don't really blame them for thinking that and it doesn't bother me.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Odd. I have heard it many times. This is anecdotal of course.
Eh? Do you understand what anecdotal means?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Yep, I will be the first to start that thread when
- When One World / QF does away with First/Platinum lounges.
- QF introduces a roulette style SP earn
- prawns are off the menu.
- remove lifetime Gold.
- they spend millions on a safety video to annoy their pax.
Well to be fair to NZ on that first one, Star Alliance has not done away with First lounge, it's just that NZ does not have a First class. They are hardly the only airline that does this either. Hadn't actually noticed that no menu items have prawns - I wonder if that's just because the chef hasn't prepared a prawn dish or because they're deliberately not serving any?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Well to be fair to NZ on that first one, Star Alliance has not done away with First lounge, it's just that NZ does not have a First class. They are hardly the only airline that does this either. Hadn't actually noticed that no menu items have prawns - I wonder if that's just because the chef hasn't prepared a prawn dish or because they're deliberately not serving any?
They stopped prawns departing US as they couldn't find any ethically source ones, that meet their requirements
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
They stopped prawns departing US as they couldn't find any ethically source ones, that meet their requirements
Ah, well in that case I fully support the removal of prawn. Tsk tsk to the person complaining about it!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Well to be fair to NZ on that first one, Star Alliance has not done away with First lounge, it's just that NZ does not have a First class.
As discussed in
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30573720-post168.html
Originally Posted by samyoull
Times are changing, see F&B in UA's Polaris lounges. QR are another good example of how to get the ground experience right in J.
That is another spin.
Prawns can be ethically sourced.
Air New Zealand just could not find a source that meets its "price" requirements.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
As discussed in
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30573720-post168.html

That is another spin.
Prawns can be ethically sourced.
Air New Zealand just could not find a source that meets its "price" requirements.
Yes but source in the quantity and quality, and year round? From one supplier who can supply the paperwork for an aviation kitchen
kyanar likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:21 pm

Yes but source in the quantity and quality, and year round? From one supplier who can supply the paperwork for an aviation kitchen
As someone who works in the seafood industry... Yes.
poopbunny and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yes, NZ J has gone from above average to below average. Disappointing that they’re still years away from having proper seats across the fleet (probably won’t even bother on the 772), so when they finally do announce the new seat, they’ll likely do an immediate upgrade to the soft product (food, cutlery) while they gradually introduce the seats. They have no reason to be particularly hurried in the return given the limited real competition in their long haul markets.

Last edited by SFO_FT; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Sorry that the OP didn’t get any choice of meals. In the future, might advise when the FA brings the predep beverage that you have dietary constraints and you’d appreciate if they could advise the options. Most of the time, they understand what you’re asking. They really should, tho, have gone back to select pax and ask them if they’d be ok to switching to the pork. Most pax in my experience are fine with doing this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Yes, NZ J has gone from above average to below average. Disappointing that they’re still years away from having proper seats across the fleet (probably won’t even bother on the 772), so when they finally do announce the new seat, they’ll likely do an immediate upgrade to the soft product (food, cutlery) while they gradually introduce the seats. They have no reason to be particularly hurried in the return given the limited real competition in their long haul markets.
Well given the new seat it targeted for the 772 replacement it kinda goes without saying that the 772 won't get the new seat and they will be leaving the fleet. Chances are the 773 won't either as at their next deep maintenance they will most probably be replaced as well?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Vivianuccia
I’m done with NZ.
All the best.

I'm curious how you knew so many of the other pax were upgrades?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.