Done with NZ J class

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Done with NZ J class

after years of turning the other cheek about the stupid seating in NZ J class, experienced a soft product failure last month AKL-MEL. First the Koru Club rushed me to boarding, then I had to sit with no preflight service while coach passengers boarded the 789 through the forward door and ambled through the J cabin making comments such as, “You’d have to be stupid to pay for business class for a 3.5 hour flight.” And “I hate these seats, who’d pay to sit in them?” Then total loss of standards with the dinner service. I was told only one main course and one dessert choice left. I was full fare J. I expressed consternation and reminded the FA that many people in the cabin were upgrades, and that I didn’t appreciate not having a choice — the remaining main course was pork which is forbidden to me. FA: “I know where you’re coming from.” And that was that. No apology, no effort to compensate in any way fro the service failure. I’m done with NZ.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
If it makes you feel any better, you’ll find the same thing occurs in QF Business about as often as NZ Business trans-tasman...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:23 am

If it makes you feel better, even if you did have your choice, chances are it would have been a pretty average meal anyway. (Sometimes they are terrible and rarely, they can be good).
The average "prawnless" entree would have been a good clue.
If you don't eat pork you should have asked about the choices in economy.

I find NZ does proactively approach Elite/Plat members more often than QF for meal selection priority. Then again, I recall always having my choice on QF even before I made Plat. Maybe I was lucky, or my selection are what no one else wants.

QF Credit: Plat/OWE have access to QF First flagship lounge ex SYD or MEL. They have excellent a la carte meals. You will struggle with inflight dining after.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Well I mean, from the FAs perspective while it is very unprofessional to say that... To most people, the idea of paying BP prices for such a short flight IS crazy. Us BP folk live in a strange bubble on incredible privilege. So I don't fault people for finding it odd at all.
​​​
I agree with others when comparing your options. I literally have no J option with Air NZ since I fly from Christchurch across the tasman, but I've flown with QF and Virgin. I have had good experiences with both but I don't think you are going to find they are any better with their soft product.
​​​​
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
In the future, contact NZ before your flight to request a special meal.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
The NZ hard product is well outdated now, but the crew experience is usually much better than that. I would be disappointed also, and with fair reason.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
In the future, contact NZ before your flight to request a special meal.
This is a standard thing with most airlines. I believe it's even mentioned when booking. This shouldn't be particularly surprising.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by codyc1515
This is a standard thing with most airlines. I believe it's even mentioned when booking. This shouldn't be particularly surprising.
With regards to meal there's usually a choice of 3 so they probably banked on picking from one of the other 2 options which is fair enough, but they had run out.

Everyone may differ on opinion but with regards to meals I think a paid J passenger should have their meal option over an upgrade. They can take everyones orders then sort out in the galley paid pax, and status pax then return to those that miss out on 1st choice to ask 2nd choices.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Vivianuccia
after years of turning the other cheek about the stupid seating in NZ J class, experienced a soft product failure last month AKL-MEL. First the Koru Club rushed me to boarding, then I had to sit with no preflight service while coach passengers boarded the 789 through the forward door and ambled through the J cabin making comments such as, “You’d have to be stupid to pay for business class for a 3.5 hour flight.” And “I hate these seats, who’d pay to sit in them?” Then total loss of standards with the dinner service. I was told only one main course and one dessert choice left. I was full fare J. I expressed consternation and reminded the FA that many people in the cabin were upgrades, and that I didn’t appreciate not having a choice — the remaining main course was pork which is forbidden to me. FA: “I know where you’re coming from.” And that was that. No apology, no effort to compensate in any way fro the service failure. I’m done with NZ.
Let me help you.
Deep breath, shake off the entitlement and victimhood.

How were you rushed to boarding? Did they herd you out the door, or just make a call earlier than you wished? You know when the flight leaves, you know when to show up at the gate. If you are early, you get to people watch, be grateful that you get to fly in comfort, make a new acquaintance, zone out.

In all my years of flying in comfortable seats that they great unwashed walk by, never have I heard people say "I would never pay for that" or "I hate those seats, who'd pay to sit there" Really? All I have ever heard is how people want to sit there, must be nice, lucky you etc. And yes I am grateful that I can sit there.

The crew do not know that you are on a full fare J ticket. The people on upgrades are typically their frequent and loyal customers who will be offered meal choice first. I appreciate that. If a particular meal was so important to me I would order it. They have quite the selection to meet pretty much any dietary requirement. If this was your first flight ever, you could possible be excused for skipping over the special meal request part of the booking. Your post alludes to the fact this was not your flight.

Sometimes one has to take accountability and make choices of how you react.
cl.lurker, gspurr, Markhm and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Vivianuccia
coach passengers boarded the 789 through the forward door and ambled through the J cabin making comments such as, “You’d have to be stupid to pay for business class for a 3.5 hour flight.” And “I hate these seats, who’d pay to sit in them?”

the remaining main course was pork which is forbidden to me. FA: “I know where you’re coming from.”
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Well I mean, from the FAs perspective while it is very unprofessional to say that... To most people, the idea of paying BP prices for such a short flight IS crazy. Us BP folk live in a strange bubble on incredible privilege. So I don't fault people for finding it odd at all.
​​​​
am I misreading the supposed quote from the FA?
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:08 pm

Also - J is usually pretty full with fare paying Aussies travelling to the states on that route (and NZ business execs) - so not sure how we are assuming that everyone is an upgrade. Poor FA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Tag1987
Also - J is usually pretty full with fare paying Aussies travelling to the states on that route (and NZ business execs) - so not sure how we are assuming that everyone is an upgrade. Poor FA.
Yeah, AKL-MEL quite often includes a metric ton of fare paying pax transiting AKL because NZ competes heavily with UA, QF, AA and DL on transpac travel pricing. It's not unusual during low peak to see J/C class go for $5k AUD return (economy less than $1k).

Something (by which I mean everything) about OP's story doesn't add up. But apparently they can add NZ to another list of airlines they're done with after UA. Next up, "Done with QF!"
nancypants and Tag1987 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Next up, "Done with QF!"
Yep, I will be the first to start that thread when
- When One World / QF does away with First/Platinum lounges.
- QF introduces a roulette style SP earn
- prawns are off the menu.
- remove lifetime Gold.
- they spend millions on a safety video to annoy their pax.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by nancypants

am I misreading the supposed quote from the FA?
Oh haha, it wasn't even the FA that said that. I misread it.

I must say that if pax are walking through and saying that, I would totally understand why they would think that and wouldn't be offended at all. It never occurred to me that a "benefit" of BP is that you don't have people walking past you during boarding.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Oh haha, it wasn't even the FA that said that. I misread it.

I must say that if pax are walking through and saying that, I would totally understand why they would think that and wouldn't be offended at all. It never occurred to me that a "benefit" of BP is that you don't have people walking past you during boarding.
How would that even work on planes which have a second BP cabin? Not aware of any gate setups for widebodies where can board through doors other than 1L and 2L (and whatever they call upper 1L on an A380). Well they could start boarding Y through the stairs at the rear?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.